491..? Any regional universities?

KangaKit

University of New England (Armadale)

Charles Sturt University (Albury Wodonga, Bathurst)

Federation University (Ballarat)

Southern Cross (Coffs Harbour, Lismore)

These are all in NSW or Victoria.  I'm sure there are some in regional Queensland as well.  Unfortunately, there aren't any in WA. I think there isn't enough population in WA regional centres to support a university. 

Would you want to live where your child is studying?  If so, I'd pick Southern Cross or Uni of New England - you could live in Coffs Harbour and get the sun-and-sand lifestyle.  Or research the Queensland options.  If you have the kind of jobs that need a capital city, then I'd pick Federation University - Ballarat is less than two hours'  drive from Melbourne. Of course that's not a beach lifestyle and housing is expensive.  

Have you checked what uni fees you'd have to pay on a 491 visa?

Edited by Marisawright

29 minutes ago, KangaKit said:

Thanks..unfortunately those unis don't do the course they want to do ..shame because I believed that all of WA was regional...don't mind where we go 

But there are no universities outside Perth because there are no major population centres outside Perth.

What course do they want to do?  

Have you checked how much the international fees are?  

Why are you aiming at WA?

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

University of New England (Armadale)

Charles Sturt University (Albury Wodonga, Bathurst)

Federation University (Ballarat)

Southern Cross (Coffs Harbour, Lismore)

These are all in NSW or Victoria.  I'm sure there are some in regional Queensland as well.  Unfortunately, there aren't any in WA. I think there isn't enough population in WA regional centres to support a university. 

Would you want to live where your child is studying?  If so, I'd pick Southern Cross or Uni of New England - you could live in Coffs Harbour and get the sun-and-sand lifestyle.  Or research the Queensland options.  If you have the kind of jobs that need a capital city, then I'd pick Federation University - Ballarat is less than two hours'  drive from Melbourne. Of course that's not a beach lifestyle and housing is expensive.  

Have you checked what uni fees you'd have to pay on a 491 visa?

Fees on 491 are same as 190/189 etc I read

1 hour ago, KangaKit said:

Thank u everyone CSU in wagga wagga has the course 👍didnrt think about the campus addresses ...purely the unis main address..and happy to live anywhere initially

It has a good reputation too.

Not sure about the fees information though.  You could be right, because apparently 491 holders will be eligible for Medicare so maybe they're being more generous than for the old 489

Edited by Marisawright

10 hours ago, KangaKit said:

Thanks..unfortunately those unis don't do the course they want to do ..shame because I believed that all of WA was regional...don't mind where we go 

Some of the uni's have a regional campus - 

UWA have a campus in Albany, Curtin have a campus in Kalgoolie and I think also Albany, Murdoch has a Rockingham Campus, Edith Cowen has a south west campus