Geneology - Help

ali

I'm tracing my family tree - with varying degrees of success. My dads family come from Wales and when a Jones marries a jones and live in Coedpoeth you can imagine how many hits you come up with.

I'm back in touch with a childhood friend - as it turns out that our trees intermingle and we have relations who were sisters.

I currently look at Genesreunited and Ancestry.co.uk - does anyone know of any more I can try - that are reasonably cheap or free?

thanks Ali

Just a quick reply Ali, i have done alot of geneology over the years & managed to trace my mums dad side back to early fifthteen hundreds upturned alot of skeltons & very interesting facts also got hold of ma grandads navy records & reports & movements from ww2 & my great grandads army records & reports & movements from ww1

i have alot of connections & websites in a book in a box tucked away in the garage, so if you can give me a few days i will be able to let you know.

In the mean time have a peek at

FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, London 1674 to 1834 here you can see if any of your relies were convicts to oz

be in touch

stuju

Guest kenpom

I have done a few family trees for people, but i do charge for the service.

Drop me a pm if you want

Kenny :jiggy:

Thanks for the info - I will check out those sights. I'm already using the genereunited one - but searches aren't cheap and you have to use the credits within a certaing time frame.

I'm not doing too badly on my maternal grandads side - got back to 1785 and from Waterford in Ireland - I know some with the same name arrived from that area in Freo as convicts but I think it was a pretty common name in those parts.

I've traced back to 1783 with my paternal grandma's side.

Early 1800's with the other relatives so will keep plugging away when time allows. I'd really appreciate those other contacts you've got Ju - thanks

Guest Jaynie
Thanks for the info - I will check out those sights. I'm already using the genereunited one - but searches aren't cheap and you have to use the credits within a certaing time frame.

I'm not doing too badly on my maternal grandads side - got back to 1785 and from Waterford in Ireland - I know some with the same name arrived from that area in Freo as convicts but I think it was a pretty common name in those parts.

I've traced back to 1783 with my paternal grandma's side.

Early 1800's with the other relatives so will keep plugging away when time allows. I'd really appreciate those other contacts you've got Ju - thanks

Ali be careful with putting your tree on genes reunited, people pinch all your details and muck things up. have you tried the Mormon Site, I think Julie gave you the link, Family search it's called. Also if you buy a subscription to Ancestry it might be cheaper than buying credits, although the census details only go back so far.

This is a great website for help if you get stuck www.rootschat.com they are a great bunch of people and have some great advice and can steer you in the right direction.

I don't know how you have the time, what with looking after us and doing this and working!!! Wonder woman springs to mind!! lol

Good luck with it Ali; it's amazing how many people are tracing their family trees! My nan did hers, but didn't get much past the early nineteenth century, and I kept meaning to carry it on for her after she died; bit more difficult from here though:sad:.

I did a genealogy course at university, and it was really interesting.; forgotten most of it now, kids turned my brains into cabbage:wacko:. Best of luck with it,

Jo x

You cant kid us Ali ,i always knew you were a criminal at heart,lol!!! Good luck with it all mate and i agree with Jaynie ,,where do you find the time?lol

Cal x

Thank you Jaynie - i've added that link to my list - I'm struggling after 1841 cencus - and also because records are in Ireland and Scotland too. Today, I was in touch with a relative of my gg grandma's sister - it's quite fascinating really.

Jo - every time I see your little avatar character on merchandise in the shops - it makes me think of you lol

Guest Jaynie
Thank you Jaynie - i've added that link to my list - I'm struggling after 1841 cencus - and also because records are in Ireland and Scotland too. Today, I was in touch with a relative of my gg grandma's sister - it's quite fascinating really.

Jo - every time I see your little avatar character on merchandise in the shops - it makes me think of you lol

Ali.....The rootschat connection will do you the world of good as it covers everything, I was researching for a friend of mine over here, long story but to cut it short...She thought that her relatives 4 of them had died in a train crash in 1904, anyway after contacting this site, I had everyone helping me, it turns out it was 3 murders and a suicide!!!!! the Father killed his wife and two daughters, he had a brain operation and it sent him bonkers so he saw them off and killed himself! We were gobsmacked, they gave me all the newspaper cuttings and this family were uppercrust, they were multi millionaires in todays society, lived in Maidstone kent, then another lady sent us the photos of their houses, so it's a great site to be on, only thing is we might lose you from here cos you will become obsessed with it!!! lol

I find GENUKI: UK & Ireland Genealogy to be useful too - especially for some counties which have links to indexed parish records.

I usually also have FreeBMD Home Page open when I am cross matching families in the censuses with ancestry uk.

I also quite like the genforum surname forums here GenForum - Home

The one thing I dont think you should skimp on is the package you use to record your information. Dont get one of the el cheapo things unless you are seriously strapped for cash and even then, dont get anything unless it can read and save gedcom files. Personally I like Family Tree Maker and have bought the latest version (Platinum) but have been through about 4 of the previous versions before that. I find it quite intuitive to use and I like the media saving and merging with census data from ancestry.co.uk

The reason you need gedcom is that it is the standard genealogical data format and if someone sends you a file. chances are they are going to send you it in that format - proprietorial packages may have their own format (like FTM) but they can all be converted and saved in gedcom format.

I also use Access a lot - I have a palm and I have palm based databases which synchronise with Access for things like cemetery transcriptions, parish record citations etc

I second the caution with some of the One world family trees on Ancestry and some questionable trees on Genesreunited - I just discovered that my granddaughter was directly descended from Oliver Cromwell on her mother's side (her mother didnt know either and nor did her grandmother!!!) well one of the Cromwell trees goes back to the emperor Hadrian (well, something as ludicrous as that!) so you do have to double check.

As for your Joneses in Wales - I'm there with you, you have no idea how many Thomases (and Thomas Thomas at that) there are in Pembrokeshire!!!! Roll on a nice Delpratt (Cromwell rellie) or Langlois so we can see a bit of movement!

Ali,

I have just spent 15mins typing you a pm about sites & contacts for family history, when i went to send it to you - i was told the site was updating & it threw me out.

Just checked my sent box and it hasnt gone to you, & now the site is running at a snails place, so bere with me i may wait untill tomorrow before i try again

cheers

ju

Archived