*Urgent* Form 80 - had any outstanding debts to the Australian Government or any public authority in Australia?

Sigemup

Hi guys,

I am a permanent resident in Aus and am filling form-80 for partner visa application for my wife and for the question 36 in part-k there is a question to which needs to answer yes or no. The question is "had any outstanding debts to the Australian Government or any public authority in Australia?"

When I filed the tax in Oct 2018, I received a notification that I need to pay $1450 as medicare levy. I had forgotten to pay that until around Feb 2019. I then received a letter from Probe Collections asking me to pay the due amount. I immediately paid the amount and it was cleared. 

What do I need to answer this question in form-80 that I mentioned in the first paragraph "had any outstanding debts to the Australian Government or any public authority in Australia?". Should I answer yes ? 

If so, what would be the impact of this ? I had inadvertently missed this and then when I got the letter I immediately paid it and cleared it. Also, what would it have any impact on citizenship application that I am looking to apply in a bit or so. 

21 minutes ago, wrussell said:

No...........

Hi Wrussell,

Could you please let me  know why the answer should be No ? The question says "Have you ever had any outstanding debt" . Just want to confirm.  I also double checked mygov portal just now and turns out I had received an online notification there in Jan 2019 as well (Notification on mygov reads "Overdue tax debt"). But I had not logged in then and so I only found when I opened my post mail box in around March 2019 (checked past emails to Tax accountant I had contacted about the Probe collections letter -  correct date is March 2019 and not Feb 2019 that is mentioned above)  and then I found letter from probe collections and immediately paid it. 

Thank you

Edited by Sigemup

Hi guys,

Could you please provide any inputs on the question asked above ? 

We are using a MARA agent to do my wife's partner visa application. I asked him this question in email and he replied answer No to this question. 

Thank you

Edited by Sigemup

55 minutes ago, Sigemup said:

Hi guys,

Could you please provide any inputs on the question asked above ? 

We are using a MARA agent to do my wife's partner visa application. I asked him this question in email and he replied answer No to this question. 

Thank you

You have had two migration agents tell you to answer No - that's probably the right answer

28 minutes ago, ali said:

You have had two migration agents tell you to answer No - that's probably the right answer

Thank you Ali.

I am just looking understand the logic for this answer.

To add further info this is the notification I was sent in Jan 2019 on mygov in ATO section"

"You have an overdue tax debt

› Your debt is growing daily
› Please pay us or contact us in 14 days or you could face legal action

Dear Name:

Here is your debt
Tax type Amount owing
Income Tax $1,400.65
When you pay this debt you will be joining the millions of Australians who pay their tax to support our country and the Australian way of life.
Pay now
You must pay your debt by 24 January 2019.
If you can't pay what you owe, you can set up a payment plan using our 24 hour automated self-service. Phone 13 28 65.
Each day your debt remains unpaid the debt increases. We currently charge interest at 8.94% a year, compounding daily, until the debt is paid in full.
If you do not pay or contact us we will begin legal action.
If you have paid this overdue tax debt in the last 7 days, thank you. No further action is required.

You should know
The ATO is authorised by law to collect tax debt. We can:
› Issue a notice to your bank, employer or third parties requiring them to pay us the money they owe you.
We can also:
› Hire a collection agency to demand payment › Issue a director penalty notice in respect of company debts.
Legal action
Legal action may result in bankruptcy or liquidation for which you could be liable for any associated legal costs.
These actions mean you will find difficulty in obtaining future finance and you may find your tax affairs face continued and heightened scrutiny. To avoid legal action and embarrassment please pay your overdue tax debt now.
Yours sincerely Robert Ravanello Deputy Commissioner of Taxation"

Edited by Sigemup

Hi Amber,

Thank you for the reply. I checked with my agent now. He said as long as it is cleared then it is ok and we can say No to that. Then I highlighted the "EVER HAD" part of the question and also showed a screen shot of the letter from probe collections. Then he said to say yes and give the details that it has been paid already. So that is what I am thinking to do. It is confusing though what to answer in this. 

Edited by Sigemup

1 minute ago, Sigemup said:

Hi Amber,

Thank you for the reply. I checked with my agent now. He said as long as it is cleared then it is ok and we can say No to that. Then I highlighted the "EVER HAD" part of the question and also showed a screen shot of the letter from probe collections. Then he said to say yes and give the details that it has been paid already. So that is what I am thinking to do. It is confusing though what to answer in this. 

I think if you are paying an agent to do this application you should take their advice. Are they a MARA agent?

2 hours ago, paulhand said:

My take is, if you are concerned, answer yes and explain. The Department ‘talks’ to the ATO so this info is easily obtained and it is better to be upfront, than explaining later. 

Thank you for the reply Paul. 

Is this a concern from the perspective of citizenship application. Please let me know your take on this. This was the first time I lodged tax on my own in Oz and second tax lodgement overall in Oz. (The first one was done by Tax consultant). This is also the first time when I was required to pay medicare levy surcharge. I wanted to know the process to pay the surcharge tax. But as mentioned I forgot to do the same as I got busy in schedule. As mentioned I have paid it and the ATO shows $0.0 balance as of now.    

Thank you

Edited by Sigemup

• 11 months later...

@Sigemup

Reaching out to you for help, on the above question. I am in the exact same situation and thoroughly confused on what to answer on this "had any outstanding debts to the Australian Government or any public authority in Australia?" question in 887 visa application

In my case, my wife delivered our second child at Women's and Children's hospital, Adelaide shortly after we arrived in Australia. Considering we were new immigrants with no Medicare and non usable  private health fund due to a wait time of 1 year for pregnancy related expenses, the Women's and Children's Hospital was really kind enough to help us with a payment plan to pay for the birthing and obstetrician consultation expenses, which have now been paid off in full. What should be the answer to the question? 

Did you choose yes or no and did it have any impact on your application?

3 minutes ago, reemzo said:

@Sigemup

Reaching out to you for help, on the above question. I am in the exact same situation and thoroughly confused on what to answer on this "had any outstanding debts to the Australian Government or any public authority in Australia?" question in 887 visa application

In my case, my wife delivered our second child at Women's and Children's hospital, Adelaide shortly after we arrived in Australia. Considering we were new immigrants with no Medicare and non usable  private health fund due to a wait time of 1 year for pregnancy related expenses, the Women's and Children's Hospital was really kind enough to help us with a payment plan to pay for the birthing and obstetrician consultation expenses, which have now been paid off in full. What should be the answer to the question? 

Did you choose yes or no and did it have any impact on your application?

If you agreed that you would pay something on a payment plan, that is not an outstanding debt and you do not need to mention it.