Applying for 190 onshore/offshore

benny

Hi everyone, how you going? My partner and I have an EOI in for VIC 190 and are currently just waiting to be invited. We are over in Bali for the next 5 weeks before returning to Australia where we will both be on tourist visas. If we are selected while we are here in Bali and apply, are we able to return to Australia and even be there on this tourist visa when the 190 visa is approved? We are under the impression that a tourist visa does not necessarily come under the 'onshore' category, therefore allowing us to be there on holiday to then swap straight onto the 190 residency, despite having applied offshore. Can anyone help clarify?

THANKS

1 hour ago, benny said:

Hi everyone, how you going? My partner and I have an EOI in for VIC 190 and are currently just waiting to be invited. We are over in Bali for the next 5 weeks before returning to Australia where we will both be on tourist visas. If we are selected while we are here in Bali and apply, are we able to return to Australia and even be there on this tourist visa when the 190 visa is approved? We are under the impression that a tourist visa does not necessarily come under the 'onshore' category, therefore allowing us to be there on holiday to then swap straight onto the 190 residency, despite having applied offshore. Can anyone help clarify?

THANKS

Hi, 

There are a few things that worry me on your case. 

Are you aware that you might be waiting for invitation for months and then when you apply, they have 9-12 months to process your application? 

I don't think it's a smart move to go to Australia on tourist visas, they are valid for 3, max 6 months (when you provide the itinerary etc). You can't work on tourist visas. Actually you can't work until you receive a grant. This would cost you huge amount of money. 

You might be able to go back and wait on student visas? But honestly, it's probably best if you just go back to your home country and wait there. 

If you're in Australia when you're granted 190 you have to travel out and back in to activate. 

Cheers

13 hours ago, benny said:

THANKS

If you apply for the 190 while in Bali, you will not be issued a bridging visa.  You can return to Australia on the visitor visa but when it expires, you would need to either submit a new visa application or else depart Australia until the 190 is granted.  If you apply for the 190 after returning to Australia on the visitor visa, you would be issued bridging visas which allow you to remain in Australia until the 190 is granted.  The bridging visa may come with a "No Work" condition, and you may be able to apply to have that lifted if you can demonstrate financial hardship without being about to work.

AFAIK, you can be either in Australia or outside for the 190 to be granted.

NOTE:  The ability to apply for the 190 visa while in Australia will also depend on whether your visitor visa has a No Further Stay condition on it.  If it does, you can only apply while outside Australia.