give it a real go!

Itraf

I love Australia and it Is a land of a multitude of cultures, geography, fauna, flora and ancient civilization. New and old cities, history, advances in medicine, different ideas in politics, old fashioned in rural places, above all, it is the land of fair go.

we intend to see the entire continent!

so far I have learned:

it Is best not to whine or complain

fix It yourself or "suck it up"!

be self sufficient

not to try too hard to make friends or it becomes a false friendship and you may seem the desperate one, keep it natural

enjoy the beauty, the visits to ancient lands of the aboriginals

enjoy the fresh food and produce. See where it Is grown.

try to adapt language and dress code and customs, "when in Rome"

enjoy the humour

appreciate the direct honesty even sometimes if it hurts

smile more

whine less

be grateful

work hard

be a good citizen

learn to make pavlova, barbique, Learn the wines, shiraz grown in hot south, cool climate sparkling, the original wineries in Australia.

learn to laugh at yourself

Learn the law, ie not like uk where you can pick fruit from a branch overhanging into a street! Park only one way on one side, not two ways! Not collect shells from beach, not pick flower public park etc

rent for a few years to see if you like the area

join a volunteer group

these can get you through the hardships whilst allowing to enjoy life and contribute in whatever way you can positively.

Edited by Itraf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do not collect bird feathers, or birds eggs as that is unlawful, but dead seashells picked up from a beach? Never heard that one in my 56 years in Australia. S’truth! I have about 600 cowry shells. However, if a dead seashell has a creature residing in it, then, it’s  not legal Again, if travelling to another country, dead seashells and dead coral are mostly illegal. 

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itraf said:

we were chided for shell collecting, I assume it is not allowed?

I was born in Australia (many decades ago!) and I can tell you I have never heard that.  Who told you it was not allowed?   We always collected shells as kids and my children and grandchildren too.

• Like 1

It is illegal to remove shells or shell grit from national parks and nature reserves, and whether you can in marine parks depends on the local zoning.

The vast majority of coastline it's fine, but there are areas where it's prohibited.

Edited by Eera
  • Like 1