Sponsorship or not confused

Hi

Ok I’m a little confused I have been in contact t with an employer in aus and he is looking at sponsoring me - if we apply for a visa this way do you still need to pass the skills select and full visa application  If so then I don’t see the benefit of being sponsored - isn’t it just better to get your own visa and then you have more freedom ie you are not tied to this employer or area 

any advice appreciated 

sam

Employer sponsored visas do not go through SkillSelect or require an invitation to apply.

Considering the current score required to obtain an invitation through SkillSelect is 80 and only 100 invites were issued last round, employer sponsored visas can be a better option in some cases. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 12sam24 said:

Thank you for your advise - so of course sponsored makes more sense

Just to be clear, if the employer sponsors you then it's a temporary visa for 2 or 4 years only, then you go home. Depending on the conditions, there might be an opportunity for you to apply for a permanent visa at the end of it, but it's a gamble - especially as the rules are tightening all the time, so you might find you're not eiigible by then.

49 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

If the employer is willing to sponsor you for PR from the get go on a 186 or 187 worth serious consideration but these visas are not quick. 

Yes there is such a thing as a 186 or 187 which is a permanent visa sponsored by an employer, but I'd be surprised if that's what the employer is offering.  i believe it can easily take a year to get it approved and what employer will be willing to wait that long?