Getting broadband with no Australian credit history

SteveandKirsty

Rather than add to our previous thread below, decided to start a new one as it is (slightly) a different topic.

We are having trouble getting a phone/broadband contract supplier.  We have been turned down by three now on the credit rating.  It is not that we have a bad credit history, it is that we have NO credit in Australia.  Or we assume so anyway.  I tried to question it with Telstra and Southern Phone but it would seem that once they close the door that's that.

What have others on here done?  

Would it be worth going into somewhere like Optus (or Vodafone, who gave us a mobile contract with no quibbles) who have retail outlets and offering the 100 point check?

Optus are a big supplier so if Telstra are difficult I would go to them.  They all use Telstra infrastructure anyway so not a lot of difference. You can also get prepaid phones anywhere, even places like Aldi. I wasn't aware that they even look into credit ratings for phones etc.

2 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Every application you make affects your credit rating adversely. So for now I'd recommend buying a phone outright and then getting a sim from Aldi, Amaysim or Lebara. 

It is broadband we require, though.

A phone doesn't matter, we don't really need one and we have mobiles on a contract with Vodafone - which includes 1000 overseas minutes per month.  

It’s a few years since I did it so I know things change but when we first moved over I made sure we changed our driving licences to QLD licences, got our Medicare cards, had a bank account and that way (with our U.K. passports) had more than 100 points of ID. I don’t remember telling Telstra we had just moved to Australia but they didn’t ask either, so as we had the 100 points, we got broadband.

You mention you have Vodafone mobile contracts (firstly congratulations-Vodafone didn’t work near me, or anywhere I visited when I tried), can’t you get a Vodafone Broadband contract?

20 minutes ago, SteveandKirsty said:

It is broadband we require, though.

A phone doesn't matter, we don't really need one and we have mobiles on a contract with Vodafone - which includes 1000 overseas minutes per month.  

Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

Maybe try Aussie Broadband. They are smaller and based in Gippsland.

2 minutes ago, Skani said:

As mentioned above, have you tried Vodaphone as you already have some history with them?   They also have 4  prepaid broadband plans:  credit history shouldn't be such an issue with these:  https://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Providers/Vodafone

That Whistleout site is very useful for exploring all the options you may have.

We hadn't tried Vodafone, no - but will today.  Thanks for the info.  

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

This is really surprising because Australian suppliers never used to check credit ratings. Provided you had the 100 points of ID, you were fine. 

Are you sure it was the credit rating that was the problem?

Yes that is the reason that all three gave.  We "do not meet their credit criteria" and Southern Phone gave a link to Illion https://www.checkyourcredit.com.au  

What we should have done and now will do is going into a retail shop, with our 100 point check and try that way.  

Considering we got mobile phone contracts relatively easily (were not permitted iPhones though) and secured a 12 month lease on a rental, being knocked back for a landline and broadband/NBN has surprised us too.  

13 hours ago, SteveandKirsty said:

Rather than add to our previous thread below, decided to start a new one as it is (slightly) a different topic.

We are having trouble getting a phone/broadband contract supplier.  We have been turned down by three now on the credit rating.  It is not that we have a bad credit history, it is that we have NO credit in Australia.  Or we assume so anyway.  I tried to question it with Telstra and Southern Phone but it would seem that once they close the door that's that.

What have others on here done?  

Would it be worth going into somewhere like Optus (or Vodafone, who gave us a mobile contract with no quibbles) who have retail outlets and offering the 100 point check?

We got off the plane 16th June and had mobiles within 24 hours, and home broadband on our rental by 3rd July .... granted, we had prepaid mobiles as we were getting a better SIM only deal rather than a monthly contract and we just used our unlocked mobiles from the UK in the first instance.  We had no aussie credit history either.

To update... and conclude - we did today what we should have done at outset and went to the local Vodafone store and added the broadband to our phone contracts.  No questions asked.

But on chatting to a couple of people since, it would appear that yes, there are now credit checks on all new accounts for broadband contracts (possibly enhanced by the coming of NBN?) and doing something online or over the phone with an operative might not or will not work, just as it didn't for us.

Therefore going into a Telstra, Optus or Vodafone retail store with the usual info for the 100 point check should work for those in the future, just as it did for us (eventually) 

Thanks for all the replies.

• Like 1

To update... and conclude - we did today what we should have done at outset and went to the local Vodafone store and added the broadband to our phone contracts.  No questions asked.
But on chatting to a couple of people since, it would appear that yes, there are now credit checks on all new accounts for broadband contracts (possibly enhanced by the coming of NBN?) and doing something online or over the phone with an operative might not or will not work, just as it didn't for us.
Therefore going into a Telstra, Optus or Vodafone retail store with the usual info for the 100 point check should work for those in the future, just as it did for us (eventually) 
Thanks for all the replies.

Glad you got there in the end!
  • Like 1