British Bulldog/Snub Nosed Pets

Lauren & Luke

Good Morning, 

I am just wondering if anyone has shipped a British Bulldog/snub nosed pets over to Australia from the UK?

If so, how did they cope on the flight and in quarantine? Did you find they were stressed or did they take it all in there stride? How did you feel/find leaving them for 10+ days?

We have a 15 month British Bulldog named Daisy and although I don't think we will actually arrive in Oz for another 18-24 months I was just looking for any information on your journey - if possible.

How do they find the heat now they are settled? Is there anything you would recommend to make their travel to Australia and stay in Australia as comfortable as possible? 

As with all pet owners she is our world so as much information to settle our minds would be greatly appreciated 😀

Thank you for taking the time read.

Lauren

Edited by Lauren & Luke

Best bet is to have a chat with @BobPetairUK.  They are a pet shipper run by vets.   Snub-nosed breeds are slightly more at risk of problems when they fly, and of course it's a very long flight so that's bound to be a worry.  I think you also have to consider when you're going to fly as you want to avoid her being stuck in transit in hot weather somewhere.  However she's young so that's in her favour. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Best bet is to have a chat with @BobPetairUK.  They are a pet shipper run by vets.   Snub-nosed breeds are slightly more at risk of problems when they fly, and of course it's a very long flight so that's bound to be a worry.  However she's young so that's in her favour. 

Thank you for your reply @Marisawright 😀

I have already been in contact with PetairUk for some information on how we go about getting Daisy to Australia along with the cost etc. They replied so quickly with loads of information - they were fab!

I was hoping someone would share their journey on how things went for them. Of course every dog is different. 

Yeah she is young and an absolute dream 😍 (when she isn't chewing my skirting boards that is 😂) If I am being honest she has no bother with her breathing, we were only at the vets yesterday evening for her booster injections and they pointed out how well her breathing is, so fingers crossed this helps her 🤞

We can't wait to get the ball rolling - Exciting!

Lauren

You should start th process early as it is a long process and can take a very long time depending on rabies tests. We have had members fall fould of this. So get going with Bob now. It may seem a long time away, but in the pet shipping world, not long at all.

There are other threads about snub nosed and if you use the search function, there are a fair few. Generally, some airlines will refuse to fly them due to risks with doing so. Others will provide limits on when they can fly. So,magazines, planning early is important. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

You should start th process early as it is a long process and can take a very long time depending on rabies tests. We have had members fall fould of this. So get going with Bob now. It may seem a long time away, but in the pet shipping world, not long at all.

There are other threads about snub nosed and if you use the search function, there are a fair few. Generally, some airlines will refuse to fly them due to risks with doing so. Others will provide limits on when they can fly. So,magazines, planning early is important. 

Thank you I will take a look now. 

I am new to the forum so didn't know you could search for previous threads - Always learning.

Lauren

I cant help with shipping as we bought our BB here from a family moving back to the UK, they didnt want to risk flying him. We are in Brisbane and he does ok with heat, he has a little plastic kids paddling pool in the shade so will go and stand in that if he is too hot. He does like the air con but we haven't always had that,lol.. TBH our bulldog is a bit of a  koala and sleeps 20 hours a day so nothing really exerts him,lol... He does seem to like the heat though and will go and lie in the sun for an hour if he can.

Cal x

• Like 1

Hi Cal, 

Ha ha Daisy is exactly the same. She sleeps the clock round I tell ya. She likes the sun and tends to sit and chill in it (when we have it that is). She moves when she has to though. 

Ah, that's good that he knows to go to the paddling pool to cool down. 

Is there anything else you do for him? I suppose walking early morning and late at night would help. Do you have any of the cooling matts I know a few people on here have mentioned?

Air con is a must have - Noted! 🙂 

I am sure she will be absolutely fine but as I am a worrier I just want to make sure we do everything we can to make sure she is OK.

Do you find there is many BB around in Brisbane?

Lauren

22 hours ago, Lauren & Luke said:

Hi Cal, 

Ha ha Daisy is exactly the same. She sleeps the clock round I tell ya. She likes the sun and tends to sit and chill in it (when we have it that is). She moves when she has to though. 

Ah, that's good that he knows to go to the paddling pool to cool down. 

Is there anything else you do for him? I suppose walking early morning and late at night would help. Do you have any of the cooling matts I know a few people on here have mentioned?

Air con is a must have - Noted! 🙂 

I am sure she will be absolutely fine but as I am a worrier I just want to make sure we do everything we can to make sure she is OK.

Do you find there is many BB around in Brisbane?

Lauren

I have never bothered with the cooling mats,although i know some people do... There are a few BB around where i live , they certainly don't seem to be uncommon over here.

Where in Brisbane are you going? Our's love going to Nudgee dog beach, its a bit of trek from here but worth it for them.

Cal x

30 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I have never bothered with the cooling mats,although i know some people do... There are a few BB around where i live , they certainly don't seem to be uncommon over here.

Where in Brisbane are you going? Our's love going to Nudgee dog beach, its a bit of trek from here but worth it for them.

Cal x

Morning, 

Ah we are planning on going to Perth.

Lauren x

We have 2 boxers and we live in Brisbane. We didn’t transport them here so can’t help with that but one is dark brindle and does have breathing issues but 5c77a249c5ea84b130a581702035baa5.jpgshe does just fine.
They have a shaded paddling pool to cool off in and they like to lay on the tiled floors. We walk them at first light in summer, I get up around 4:15-4:30 (and go to bed early). I have a self-imposed rule that I don’t take them out during the day when it’s 26 degrees or over and I don’t run with them when it’s approaching that. You soon discover what is too much for each dog :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LouDYorkie said:

We have 2 boxers and we live in Brisbane. We didn’t transport them here so can’t help with that but one is dark brindle and does have breathing issues but 5c77a249c5ea84b130a581702035baa5.jpgshe does just fine.
They have a shaded paddling pool to cool off in and they like to lay on the tiled floors. We walk them at first light in summer, I get up around 4:15-4:30 (and go to bed early). I have a self-imposed rule that I don’t take them out during the day when it’s 26 degrees or over and I don’t run with them when it’s approaching that. You soon discover what is too much for each dog 🙂

Ah look at her. She is beautiful, looking very chilled and happy too 🙂

Yeah I suppose taking a common sense approach seems to be the vibe. 

Can I ask why 26 Degrees? Just being curious 😉

Lauren x

Ah look at her. She is beautiful, looking very chilled and happy too [emoji846]
Yeah I suppose taking a common sense approach seems to be the vibe. 
Can I ask why 26 Degrees? Just being curious [emoji6]
Lauren x

As I said it’s self imposed but in full sun at 26 degrees they don’t walk far at a reasonable pace (maybe 2.5kms) before seeking shade, water and are panting a long time after getting home, it seems to take more of a toll on them.
26 after the sun goes down, they fare a little better but I still prefer it to be cooler where possible.
The optimum for my two is about 20-23 so we can walk and run-then it is me who wants to slow down first [emoji23].
Also depending on the time of day the bitumen gets hot, too hot for me to hold my hand on so way too hot for their paws.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LouDYorkie said:

As I said it’s self imposed but in full sun at 26 degrees they don’t walk far at a reasonable pace (maybe 2.5kms) before seeking shade, water and are panting a long time after getting home, it seems to take more of a toll on them.
26 after the sun goes down, they fare a little better but I still prefer it to be cooler where possible.
The optimum for my two is about 20-23 so we can walk and run-then it is me who wants to slow down first emoji23.png.
Also depending on the time of day the bitumen gets hot, too hot for me to hold my hand on so way too hot for their paws.

Makes sense 🙂

Good rule to self impose. Something we would definitely consider doing ourselves. 

Lauren

• Like 1