AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

7 hours ago, AnneOz said:

Think someone messed up with the dates of application. I just noted mine was wrong and corrected it. I'm all done and dusted but found this spreadsheet useful along the way.

True, mine was messed up too. But I also corrected it to help others who are still waiting for their citizenship. I just can't believe someone will change the dates for fun or what, but seriously, it is not funny at all. 

Today I received the letter for our ceremony. But unfortunately, we can not attend as I am traveling for work in the same week. I already updated immi about my travel plans a month ago but still, they scheduled my ceremony in that week. 

I called immi to reschedule the ceremony date and I got the most unexpected answer from the lady who picked up the call. She told me just do not attend the ceremony and you then you will receive a letter of non-attendance after that we will put in waiting list again and schedule your ceremony in next available date. 

Our ceremony was organised by local council and we had to respond to them about the invite not immigration. 

As long as you attend a ceremony within a year of approval you will be fine.  It will depend how often your local ceremonies are held.  I wouldn’t just not attend though I would respond to the invite and ask respectfully to be included in the next ceremony. 

Hi Friends,

I have an question to ask:

Recently i become australian parmanant resident along with my wife and a son. And my son was born in australia while i was on student visa (as a temporary visa). Now what i need to know is will he become aus citizen without waiting along with us which is 12 months after granting the PR next year?

My second question is considering our current circumtances if a second child is born before we apply citizenship, will he/she become australian citizen autometically/manually or this child has to wait with others?

please share your experience and knowledge which would be much appreciated dear.

Regards,

kaz

5 minutes ago, KazBaker said:

Hi Friends,

I have an question to ask:

Recently i become australian parmanant resident along with my wife and a son. And my son was born in australia while i was on student visa (as a temporary visa). Now what i need to know is will he become aus citizen without waiting along with us which is 12 months after granting the PR next year?

My second question is considering our current circumtances if a second child is born before we apply citizenship, will he/she become australian citizen autometically/manually or this child has to wait with others?

please share your experience and knowledge which would be much appreciated dear.

Regards,

kaz

Congratulations!

Your child is connected to your citizenship application and is not required to fulfill the residency requirement for citizenship. 

If at least one of the parents is a permanent resident and the child is born in Australia, the child is automatically an Australian citizen.

Hope this helps.

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 15:22, coolmotu said:

Today I received the letter for our ceremony. But unfortunately, we can not attend as I am traveling for work in the same week. I already updated immi about my travel plans a month ago but still, they scheduled my ceremony in that week. 

I called immi to reschedule the ceremony date and I got the most unexpected answer from the lady who picked up the call. She told me just do not attend the ceremony and you then you will receive a letter of non-attendance after that we will put in waiting list again and schedule your ceremony in next available date. 

That is also their response to me when I told them I cannot attend the ceremony, just do not attend and they will book me for the next available date in the council.

I ended up attending the ceremony, and paying for passport expediting fee for our holiday the week after.  

One of my friend is overseas when she had her first ceremony and she just did not show up. She was scheduled for the next ceremony.

Edited by Zet01

Thank you. I am thinking to call council and request them to accomodate me in next date. 

Nature of my job includes travel a lot it is very difficult to make last minute changes. I have informed my boss if next ceremony date comes in the middle of my travel week we need to cancel the travel. 

This time I am speaking in a conference which can not be changed so I can not cancel my travel plan as it’s been scheduled for me long before and I also updated my travel plans to immigration department. 

As per immi suggestions and your experience I will not attend though I will call council. 

Thank you. 

3 hours ago, coolmotu said:

Thank you. I am thinking to call council and request them to accomodate me in next date. 

Nature of my job includes travel a lot it is very difficult to make last minute changes. I have informed my boss if next ceremony date comes in the middle of my travel week we need to cancel the travel. 

This time I am speaking in a conference which can not be changed so I can not cancel my travel plan as it’s been scheduled for me long before and I also updated my travel plans to immigration department. 

As per immi suggestions and your experience I will not attend though I will call council. 

Thank you. 

Yes, you can call your council and let them know of your scenario. I am sure they will accommodate you for the next ceremony.

6 hours ago, Epistat99 said:

Congratulations!

Your child is connected to your citizenship application and is not required to fulfill the residency requirement for citizenship. 

If at least one of the parents is a permanent resident and the child is born in Australia, the child is automatically an Australian citizen.

Hope this helps.

Dear Epistat99,

Thanks for your reply.

I emailed to my MA to know about it but she said your son is eligible to apply citizenship right now. Son has waiting period too.

Bit confused !

On 03/10/2018 at 11:15, Zet01 said:

How many ceremonies does your council do in a year? Are there a lot of citizenship applicants in your area? It might be possible that you will be invited for the November ceremony, or Australia day next year.

In our council, there are not much, maybe that's why we got invited a month after our approval.  

12 a year,  once a month although nothing listed after November 2018. 

15 minutes ago, Leo. said:

Does anyone know how long it takes to approve citizenship application after interview?  Had interview (only interview, no test for under 18)  in  09 July 2018 and still not heard from Dept. of Home Affairs?

No rhyme or reason. Some are immediate some over a year. Something up with the system me thinks 

8 hours ago, Leo. said:

Thanks Rammygirl. Do you know of someone who waited over a year? Will DHA entertain any enquiry from applicant?

Look back in this thread, people have posted timelines and comments about this.

You can call but if your application is within the published timescales on the DOHA website they will probably just say it is ‘being processed’.

When we had our interview/test the official said we would get approval the same day, and we did.

8 hours ago, Leo. said:

Does anyone know how long it takes to approve citizenship application after interview?  Had interview (only interview, no test for under 18)  in  09 July 2018 and still not heard from Dept. of Home Affairs?

Did you check your IMMI if the application was approved? That should be your indicator if you're already approved.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

You can call but if your application is within the published timescales on the DOHA website they will probably just say it is ‘being processed’.

When we had our interview/test the official said we would get approval the same day, and we did.

the published timescales mean nothing. If it was 12 months when you applied and you check after 12 months you will see they moved it to 15 months. Check at 15 months and its now 18 months and so on and so on...

2 hours ago, Rorz said:

the published timescales mean nothing. If it was 12 months when you applied and you check after 12 months you will see they moved it to 15 months. Check at 15 months and its now 18 months and so on and so on...

I applied in July 2017, have not been invited to a test so far. When i called the person said it was within the timeframe and to call on the 20th month...

8 hours ago, Boomerang8678 said:

I applied in July 2017, have not been invited to a test so far. When i called the person said it was within the timeframe and to call on the 20th month...

Hi Boomerang8678,  we applied in early Jun 2017,  invited for interview in July 2018.

Rang up DOHA today, and was told that the processing time after interview could take up to 6 months.  Which means the total processing time can be up to 19 to 20 months like you mentioned.

11 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Thanks Rammygirl, that's exactly what the DOHA person advised when I rang up today  ... "this is within the processing timeframe".  For the record, I asked if anyone know the processing time "after the interview", and the official answer from DOHA is 3 to 6 months.