Where To Begin

JaneL

Hi there,

I'm new here and looking for a bit of advice on where to begin.  My partner & I are looking to start the process to move from the UK to Queensland and, despite googling and googling (and googling), I'm struggling to get to grips with how to understand the entire process and what's involved (including costs, before, during and after!).

I've filled out a couple of online forms for advice and received no response at all.

Can anybody point me in the right direction so I know where to start and how to work out which type of visa I need to apply for?  I'm sure it's been asked before but I can't seem to find anything? 

Is it best to apply for a job first, to assist with the application...or do I need permission to work before I do this!?  Bit of a chicken or egg situation I guess.

Is there a helpful website or a recommended agent I can approach? 

Any information would be so gratefully received.

Thanks,
Jane

Thanks both - I don't believe I have a 'skilled' profession and it's certainly not on the 2018 list.  I work in Insurance Claims, dealing with catastrophic injuries up to a value of £2million.  Although I doubt there will be a need for claims handlers in Australia, the experience I have dealing with rehabilitation, assessment and negotiation of cases involving brain injury, amputation etc will, I expect, be very rare (it certainly is in the UK). 

My partner is a private investigator but before that worked as a Personal Trainer.  I don't believe these careers are on the list either.

Is there any hope for us?! Is there a way to apply to companies and request sponsorship?  Or is this not realistic?

Paul, subject to your reply, I would be very happy to fill out your online form! 🙂 

The fundamental requirement is that one of you must have an occupation that's on one of the lists.  If not, then you have no hope, I'm afraid.  You may be surprised to learn that the great majority of people simply can't qualify to migrate to Australia, so you wouldn't be alone.

If your job is on a short term list, then your only choice is to get a short contract in Australia (2 to 4 years), for a bit of an adventure.  You have to find an employer willing to hire you, and you have to go home at the end - there's no option to stay permanently.  Employers cannot sponsor anyone for an occupation that's not on the lists.

If your job is on the skilled list, then you just apply.  There's no point looking for a job, because it takes a year or more to get the skilled visa, and no employer is going to offer you a job and then wait a year for you to arrive!

5 hours ago, JaneL said:

That's really sad, it looks like I had misinterpreted the rules all this time!  Thanks for confirming though - maybe time to retrain!?!? 🙂 

If you retrain, do it because you want to and regardless of visa as the occupation lists change regularly and hundreds have been removed in the last year or two. So, there is every chance of retraining only to find you still aren't eligible 

10 hours ago, JaneL said:

That's really sad, it looks like I had misinterpreted the rules all this time!  Thanks for confirming though - maybe time to retrain!?!? 🙂 

As VeryStormy says, if you choose to retrain, choose a career you will enjoy.   Australia isn't a new country desperate for workers any more, and the list of eligible occupations gets shorter every year.   If you're going to retrain, it won't be enough to get a qualification:  you also need to have have a couple of years' work experience after you qualify.  So you'd be looking at five years before you can apply, and the occupation might not be on the list by the time you're ready!   

Or they might just move the goalposts when you are finally ready, after a degree, a child and 18 months experience (not previously needed), meaning you have up to wait between 2 and 6 years just to scrape the required points... If your skill stays on the list [emoji849]

Thank god I love my new job (started retraining 6 years ago)

• Like 1