Student Visa Query

Willow

Hi all, As our jobs are not on the list  we were possibly looking at doing a student visa. I understand there are high costs involved and the risk etc etc but I wondered if you do a student visa as a trade. Is it easier to apply for PR once completing the student visa whilst out there rather then then UK?

i know your supposed to come back to the UK but didn't know if there are ways to be able to stay after the study? 

Do you have to do a graduate visa after the original student visa and then do a JRP in the trade?

thanks in advance for your help

It used to be a way in through the back door but not so much now and certainly not something to be recommended. If you're going to retrain in something then train in UK and hope it's still on the skills in demand list when you've qualified but only choose something that you really want to do in life, not just because it might one day happen to get you a visa to another first world country. 

3 hours ago, Willow said:

Hi all, As our jobs are not on the list  we were possibly looking at doing a student visa. I understand there are high costs involved and the risk etc etc but I wondered if you do a student visa as a trade. Is it easier to apply for PR once completing the student visa whilst out there rather then then UK

If you come on a student visa, then you can get a Temporary Graduate Visa to let you stay and work in Australia BUT only if your course is CRICOS registered.  If it's not a degree course then I think it's limited to 18 months, and that may not be long enough for you to get the experience needed to apply for a skilled visa.

You'll see some companies pushing the idea of a student visa as a way to get to Australia more quickly, but it's generally a very, very bad idea.   You'll have to pay full international fees (for a course that would be a fraction of the cost in the UK) and you (and your partner) will be restricted to 20 hours work a week.   Most internatiional students end their course in massive debt, which is not a good way to start a new life in a new country.   Even worse, there's always the risk that your occupation won't be on the list by the time you can apply, so all the money will be wasted.

I know you're impatient to get to Australia, but you'll be much better set up for your future if you get your qualification in the UK.   

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks all I appreciate your advise. I think it's because our age goes against us as we are going to be 40 next year. Training here for a new skill/trade here in UK goes against us as I understand you have to have the qualification as well as a few years experience before being able to go so we are in a predicament really. Again thanks for your advise.

1 hour ago, Willow said:

Thanks all I appreciate your advise. I think it's because our age goes against us as we are going to be 40 next year

In that case I suggest you accept it’s not possible. You must be under 45 at the time you apply for your permanent visa, which you won’t be able to do until you’ve completed your course and gained sufficient work experience. 

It makes no difference whether you get that qualification and experience in Australia or in the UK, the same age limit will apply

Edited by Marisawright

Will just agree with Marisa. I think you have left it too late. All of the same criteria still apply regardless of where you study. The skills assessment is the same. There are some courses you could do in UK or Oz, which would potentially see you able to pass the skills assessment, but the catch 22 would be that without the points for experience, you wouldn't get enough points. Also, those courses are ones which require massive commitment such as nursing which only needs the degree and a few months work experience to pass the skills assessment, but nursing isn't a course to be done without 100% commitment 

11 hours ago, Willow said:

Hi all, As our jobs are not on the list  we were possibly looking at doing a student visa. I understand there are high costs involved and the risk etc etc but I wondered if you do a student visa as a trade. Is it easier to apply for PR once completing the student visa whilst out there rather then then UK?

i know your supposed to come back to the UK but didn't know if there are ways to be able to stay after the study? 

Do you have to do a graduate visa after the original student visa and then do a JRP in the trade?

4 hours ago, Willow said:

Thanks all I appreciate your advise. I think it's because our age goes against us as we are going to be 40 next year. Training here for a new skill/trade here in UK goes against us as I understand you have to have the qualification as well as a few years experience before being able to go so we are in a predicament really. Again thanks for your advise.

If you study anything below a Bachelor qualification, it is more difficult to obtain the Temporary Graduate Skilled visa when you finish studying. It's a different pathway which requires a provisional skills assessment on an occupation on the relevant list. As such you need to do your research well. Be careful obtaining visa guidance from Student Agents, as they are not qualified or allowed to give Immigration advice. 

There is no guaranteed pathway from a Student Visa to Permanent Residency. Be weary of anyone who says that there is. The reality is that it is difficult and uncertain as the Regulations will likely have changed by the time you finish studying.

If you do proceed, consider studying in regional Australia, as the Government recently announced further concessions and incentives for international students going to regional area to study.