State vs Private Schools

richselina

Hi, 

Would appreciate views on people that have migrated from the UK to Australia and if you've had your child in private education in the UK you've continued this route in Australia and whether there's a major difference between state and private in Aus ?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks, R

All depending which states /area you go to, you'll probably find more kids in private education in Australia than in UK. In ACT for instance its very close to 50% of kids in HS are private. Overall I think it's between 30&40% of HS kids are in private schools but that's largely because there is a strong parallel Catholic system pretty much everywhere. Figures tend to be a bit lower for primary and in ACT the number drops after HS as the government colleges aren't that bad. In other states where they go through to end yr 12 in HS the figures for maintaining private HS are probably consistently higher.

It depends where you live.  Some areas have very good state schools, some don't. Most of the primary schools, broadly, are pretty good but the problems arise with some of the secondary schools.  The good private schools are quite pricey-in Victoria ranging from $12,000 p.a to around $32,000. There are websites where you can compare VCE results in Victoria and no doubt other states have similar but that is not the whole story of course.

My children went to public,  when my daughter went to Uni there was a high proportion of her cohort from private school - which she found a little amusing that they'd spent thousands of $$ and they'd all ended up at the same place. In the right school your child will do well if they're that way inclinded.

Not all private schools are 'good schools' and really as starlight said, it's probably about the area you choose.

7 hours ago, ali said:

My children went to public,  when my daughter went to Uni there was a high proportion of her cohort from private school - which she found a little amusing that they'd spent thousands of $$ and they'd all ended up at the same place. In the right school your child will do well if they're that way inclinded.

Not all private schools are 'good schools' and really as starlight said, it's probably about the area you choose.

A lot of Australian private schools aren't that great. But, if you live in a poorer area with a rubbish state school, then it can be a cheaper option than moving. Depending on how many kids you have.

Edited by newjez