Subclass 173 experiences, alternatives and processing times

martyfenwick

My wife’s parents are looking at moving over from the UK to Australia originally on a temporary basis. The visa subclass that appears to fit the bill is the subclass 173 - Contributory Parent (Temporary)

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-parent-temporary-173#Eligibility

I’m keen to hear about experiences of applying for this visa, processing times and if there is any suitable alternatives.

From what I’ve read, the processing time for this visa is anywhere between 3 and 4 years. Is that typical and does anyone know why the processing time is so long? Are applications throttled?

Also, the price is currently showing at $31,000 AUD - is this per person or can both parents travel on the one visa with one being the primary applicant?

Actually, the total cost for a contributory parent visa is about $130k. 

Wait times are also blowing out and I would go with at least five years, but could, if things go as they are be significantly more. So, do factor in will they be able to pass medicals then. 

If they only want temporary visits, then a 600 visa might be a better option. 

6 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Actually, the total cost for a contributory parent visa is about $130k. 

Wait times are also blowing out and I would go with at least five years, but could, if things go as they are be significantly more. So, do factor in will they be able to pass medicals then. 

If they only want temporary visits, then a 600 visa might be a better option. 

Is that $130,000 AUD for the permanent or temporary visa? Is that figure from personal experience? Also is that per person or per couple?

Do you know why the times are increasing? 

They are aiming at an initial temporary stay followed by a more permanent arrangement.

40 minutes ago, martyfenwick said:

Is that $130,000 AUD for the permanent or temporary visa? Is that figure from personal experience? Also is that per person or per couple?

Do you know why the times are increasing? 

They are aiming at an initial temporary stay followed by a more permanent arrangement.

You can google the cost of both visas. The 143/864 costs approximately $103,000 for a couple before medical and police check costs, about $600 more if you apply onshore.

If you go family/partner visas there is a dedicated parent visa  thread, which will help answer most questions.

11 hours ago, ramot said:

You can google the cost of both visas. The 143/864 costs approximately $103,000 for a couple before medical and police check costs, about $600 more if you apply onshore.

If you go family/partner visas there is a dedicated parent visa  thread, which will help answer most questions.

I have read a bit about the 864 at https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-aged-parent-864 and it does look quite suitable too, although it doesn’t give any indication of processing time. At the moment it says “Processing times are not available for this visa.”

The temporary to permanent route would be more desirable, however I can’t quite get my head around an approximately 3-4 year processing time for a visa that is only valid for 2 years. 

It seems like there are a low number of applicants for this visa and perhaps that is why they can’t offer estimated processing time.

10 hours ago, martyfenwick said:

I have read a bit about the 864 at https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/contributory-aged-parent-864 and it does look quite suitable too, although it doesn’t give any indication of processing time. At the moment it says “Processing times are not available for this visa.”

The temporary to permanent route would be more desirable, however I can’t quite get my head around an approximately 3-4 year processing time for a visa that is only valid for 2 years. 

It seems like there are a low number of applicants for this visa and perhaps that is why they can’t offer estimated processing time.

We originally applied for the 864 visa March 2017 and stupidly believed the government processing time of on average 1 year!!!

Nearly 2 years later processing has only moved 2 months, from October 2016 to November 2016. Rumour has it that the application date is now possibly aligned to the 143 visa, if so could now take many more years to grant.

12 hours ago, ramot said:

We originally applied for the 864 visa March 2017 and stupidly believed the government processing time of on average 1 year!!!

Nearly 2 years later processing has only moved 2 months, from October 2016 to November 2016. Rumour has it that the application date is now possibly aligned to the 143 visa, if so could now take many more years to grant.

That is disappointing to here. I was also under the impression the 864 had a reasonable processing time because the price of the visa is high and worth processing for the Australian government.

Do you mind me asking if you have paid the first instalment and what the terms are on that? Considering the timeframes involved - are the instalments refundable?

What are the other options for bringing parents into Australia?

2 hours ago, martyfenwick said:

That is disappointing to here. I was also under the impression the 864 had a reasonable processing time because the price of the visa is high and worth processing for the Australian government.

Do you mind me asking if you have paid the first instalment and what the terms are on that? Considering the timeframes involved - are the instalments refundable?

Why don't you have a free initial consultation with an agent. I can recommend Alan Collett at go matilda, details on their website. 

10 hours ago, martyfenwick said:

All we did was pay the initial cost of applying for the visa. No refund available. The price for the 864 is the same as the offshore/onshore CPV 143. apart from an increased cost for a partner on the 864 as far as I know.

You can google details of parent visa and also Suggest you go on the family/parent visas thread,, then the brand new PIO parent visa thread, lots of questions asked and answered  there.

11 hours ago, martyfenwick said:

The government doesn't see these visas as money-spinners at all - quite the reverse.  The price of these visas is high because the applicants are elderly and therefore expected to be a burden on Medicare and other government benefit programs. Also, parents who are on the permanent CPV will be eligible for the Australian pension after ten years, so that's another cost to the taxpayer.   Therefore the fees are meant to go  towards paying those costs.   When you consider one hip replacement costs the government around $35,000, you see where the fee comes from. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The government doesn't see these visas as money-spinners at all - quite the reverse.  The price of these visas is high because the applicants are elderly and therefore expected to be a burden on Medicare and other government benefit programs. Also, parents who are on the permanent CPV will be eligible for the Australian pension after ten years, so that's another cost to the taxpayer.   Therefore the fees are meant to go  towards paying those costs.   When you consider one hip replacement costs the government around $35,000, you see where the fee comes from. 

Much as I would like this visa to be free of cost, I totally understand the amount, and to be honest am thankful it’s not more expensive.

Like others I have a gut feeling that there could be major changes to the parent visa, because if as suggested once that there may be approximately 50,000 prospective parents hoping for a visa, then the cost of us oldies will become unsustainable. 

10 minutes ago, ramot said:

Much as I would like this visa to be free of cost, I totally understand the amount, and to be honest am thankful it’s not more expensive.

Like others I have a gut feeling that there could be major changes to the parent visa, because if as suggested once that there may be approximately 50,000 prospective parents hoping for a visa, then the cost of us oldies will become unsustainable. 

I know you understand it.  Having been on a 410, you understand first-hand the size of the cost to Medicare, since you've had to foot your own bill for medical expenses all this time!   I was explaining it for the benefit of the OP.  

I think you're right about the possibility of major changes.  The fact that New Zealand suspended parent visas for so long, is a bit of a red flag IMO.  

The Victorian seat of Bruce, started pressing Peter Dutton for reasons as to why there were huge delays in the backlog of citizenship applications waiting to be processed.

There are nearly 250,000 permanent residents living, working and loving here,” if they are so dangerous, why are they here? Why have they been here for four to 10 years? You can’t just say ‘national security’. 

https://neoskosmos.com/en/129956/244765-immigrants-caught-in-australian-citizenship-limbo/

On 21/02/2019 at 23:02, Judy said:

Why don't you have a free initial consultation with an agent. I can recommend Alan Collett at go matilda, details on their website. 

Thanks, I exchanged a few emails with Overseas Emigration in Edinburgh. They have been useful in the past and are well-versed in AU emigration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2019 at 13:04, martyfenwick said:

We applied for temporary parent visa 173 in Sept 15 & just been given the go ahead for medicals, police check & form80. When we 1st applied the wait was 12-18 mths & visa cost was just short of $20k.  Having 2nd thoughts now! 

I applied for 173 and the only reason at that time is I didn't have the funds for the 143 not having any equity so it was a matter of having to save it myself (single applicant).

I applied 30th October 2015 and on 6th Feb 2019 (40 months)  I received an email to provide additional docs and do medical. The total cost for the first installment is a lodgement fee of $2.490 then I will need to pay the 2nd VAC of $29,130.

Once the visa is granted and after arrival if I want to stay permanently (I do) then you apply to convert 173 to 143 by paying lodgement fee of $340 and then 2nd VAC of $19,420. You have 2 years to do this (I will be doing it immediately once visa activated)

Grand total of $51,380 ($4,260 difference between 143 and 173)

Also there is Assurance of Support of $10,000 which normally comes from your sponsor.

Hope this helps

On 08/03/2019 at 13:32, Marilyn said:

I applied for 173 and the only reason at that time is I didn't have the funds for the 143 not having any equity so it was a matter of having to save it myself (single applicant).

I applied 30th October 2015 and on 6th Feb 2019 (40 months)  I received an email to provide additional docs and do medical. The total cost for the first installment is a lodgement fee of $2.490 then I will need to pay the 2nd VAC of $29,130.

Once the visa is granted and after arrival if I want to stay permanently (I do) then you apply to convert 173 to 143 by paying lodgement fee of $340 and then 2nd VAC of $19,420. You have 2 years to do this (I will be doing it immediately once visa activated)

Grand total of $51,380 ($4,260 difference between 143 and 173)

Also there is Assurance of Support of $10,000 which normally comes from your sponsor.

Hope this helps

Thanks Marilyn.