Single person move to NT ....

Ukhan

Hi everyone,

I will be applying for my NT nomination, I am single woman i would like to know how safe it is to live alone, what are the safest suburbs to live in. what i can do to stay socially active any forums, places where i can get quick acquaintances. I have no friend living in NT so how can i get some real information about life in NT can any one help here. Internet information is too confusing everywhere i find mixed reviews. 

Thanks 

UKhan

Had a mate who lived there for a few years, she was single at the time. Had a good government job so could afford a decent home in a good area.

She has always described it as an "interesting experience". She's a pretty tough cookie, and always gave as good as she got. She said there's a lot of sexist attitudes stlll, and its a tough life in a harsh climate. Not one for the faint hearted. Shes one to make what sh can of hings and got involved in various clubs pretty fast but she said she had to do all the running, they don't come to you offering friendship with open arms. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Personally I would not wish to live in Darwin as a single woman

Interested to know why

The NT is a tough place is some aspect & a big tradie , construction & mining area which generally are male dominated but a lot of females up here working in those industries

Depending on how you rate crime it’s a safe place. Yes you can have anti social behaviour, burglaries like anywhere else but you very very rarely have more what’s classed as serious crime against the general public.

You’d be more at risk walking around parts of the larger Australia cities than you would in Darwin. Due to the weather there’s very few pedestrians anyway

Common sense prevails & unless you have a extreme valid reason or circumstance why as a male or female go out of your way to walk around alone late at night anyway

• Like 2

When you say NT I presume it's Darwin. Outside Darwin there's nowhere that I'd really fancy. Even Palmerston isn't that nice.

If you're the type that reacts or gets upset to being called a white C*** I wouldn't bother going. 

Last time I went I nipped out to the local shopping centre first night I was there. Some local ladies started shouting the usual. Best to just ignore it and carry on.

17 hours ago, PFC1975 said:

Interested to know why

The NT is a tough place is some aspect & a big tradie , construction & mining area which generally are male dominated but a lot of females up here working in those industries

Exactly.  I've had two female friends move up to Darwin from Sydney over the last few years - one to return to live with her parents because her marriage broke up, the other because she got married to a soldier who got posted there.  Both found it very tough (the newly-married one seemed to spend the whole first year in tears, judging by her Facebook feed).  

Both have adjusted now but it's worth noting, both of them had either family or a partner for support

• 3 months later...