I've got this friend...

benj1980

Who has fallen in love and his girlfriend is/was on a sponsored regional visa with an employer. A new employer was found in WA so they could be together. She now has 60 days to sort an employer out as the employer are suggesting they can't sponsor after all. My friend is PR and is understandably distressed about this but understands the laws of the land as he once went through the process himself. She is a nurse and will look at PR herself. However with 60 days it's not going to happen. Would she be able to get a bridging visa? She has already had her qualifications recognised and has some experience (less than a year) of nursing in Australia.

Incidentally my friend is also a member of Pomsinoz!! Now that's another story!

Yes it's quite a sad situation now! Her job was regional NSW and they were great with her. She found it pretty exciting at first but it really is remote and it loses it's appeal after a while I guess. They've been keeping their relationship long distance for a while now, she was hoping she had found a dream job and that looks like it is being taken away from her now.

I think you can only get a bridging visa if you have another application in the system.  Has the employer given reasons as to why they can no longer sponsor? - In hindsight - probably not the best thing to do to give notice before securing sponsorship with her new employer.  Is it worth going back to the original employer and applying for PR with the security of a job … or your friend moving regional.

If she already has an ANMAC assessment then there's nothing stopping her putting in the application (if that's what you mean by her qualifications recognised), if she's only got AHPRA registration - she can apply for the modified skills assessment.

I'll have to ask her about her registrations, but I think it's just APHRA.

She got offered the job, told she'd be starting in three weeks, contract to follow and that she would need to get released from her job in NSW. With limited time she resigned to give as much notice as possible. But after a few days there was no contract, so she began inquiring. From what I can gather the lady had no authority to offer a position which required sponsorship, as it goes through a board process. The official line is 'sorry there must have been a communication breakdown somewhere.'

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 21:31, benj1980 said:

I'll have to ask her about her registrations, but I think it's just APHRA.

She got offered the job, told she'd be starting in three weeks, contract to follow and that she would need to get released from her job in NSW. With limited time she resigned to give as much notice as possible. But after a few days there was no contract, so she began inquiring. From what I can gather the lady had no authority to offer a position which required sponsorship, as it goes through a board process. The official line is 'sorry there must have been a communication breakdown somewhere.'

Generally for an RN it's 2 weeks notice - can she go back to her old job?  

On 27/10/2018 at 07:34, ali said:

Generally for an RN it's 2 weeks notice - can she go back to her old job?  

I think she has now asked. The happy/unhappy couple were seeking visa advice from a reputable agent... Another reminder of the perils of temporary work visas I guess!