What are my chances of getting a visa (Subclass 190 and 489) without work experience?

Rampa

Hi guys.

I am a social worker from South Africa aged 24. I hold a bachelor of social work degree and a masters degree in social development. I recently had my qualifications assessed and accredited by the AASW. My problem is that I do not have work experience and that worries me a lot. It is hard securing employment in my country due to high levels of unemployment and corruption. I have been unemployed for 2 years which highly influenced our decision to leave.

My husband is a veterinarian with 10 years work experience and also registered as a vet in NSW. He can  also work in Victoria though. We are open to living in any regional area in NSW or Victoria. I like Victoria more than NSW though. We are not city people anyway so we are okay with living in regional areas as long as they have good schools for our two children (below 5 years). 

My point scores are really low. I do not qualify for the 189 visa so thats out. I am hoping that if I apply for nomination visas (190 and 489) maybe I might just get picked up...even though my points are below 65. This is where faith comes in. 

I really do not mind not getting sponsorship...as long as I can get a visa that enables me to work in Aus. I can work on a PR later (Ive read about the pros and cons on this one but what are my options really). What do you think are my chances of getting nominated especially in Victoria as a social work even though I do not have work experience? What would you suggest I do? TIA

2 hours ago, Rampa said:

Hi guys.

I am a social worker from South Africa aged 24. I hold a bachelor of social work degree and a masters degree in social development. I recently had my qualifications assessed and accredited by the AASW. My problem is that I do not have work experience and that worries me a lot. It is hard securing employment in my country due to high levels of unemployment and corruption. I have been unemployed for 2 years which highly influenced our decision to leave.

My husband is a veterinarian with 10 years work experience and also registered as a vet in NSW. He can  also work in Victoria though. We are open to living in any regional area in NSW or Victoria. I like Victoria more than NSW though. We are not city people anyway so we are okay with living in regional areas as long as they have good schools for our two children (below 5 years). 

My point scores are really low. I do not qualify for the 189 visa so thats out. I am hoping that if I apply for nomination visas (190 and 489) maybe I might just get picked up...even though my points are below 65. This is where faith comes in. 

I really do not mind not getting sponsorship...as long as I can get a visa that enables me to work in Aus. I can work on a PR later (Ive read about the pros and cons on this one but what are my options really). What do you think are my chances of getting nominated especially in Victoria as a social work even though I do not have work experience? What would you suggest I do? TIA

Can your husband apply for the visa as a vet?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rampa said:

Hi guys.

https://deltaimmigration.com.au/Veterinarian/234711.htm

I would advice you to apply with your husband as the primary applicant. Because vet is on the occupation list for both 189,190. And also for some regions in 489. He should definitely get a lot more points for his work experience and together with the 10 points for 489, there is a good chance that you guys would get invited very soon. 

All the best ?

Edited by Areyousure
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rampa said:

My husband is a veterinarian with 10 years work experience and also registered as a vet in NSW. He can  also work in Victoria

If your husband is registered to work as a vet in NSW, does that mean he has a visa already?  

If neither of you has PR, then he's the one who needs to apply as the primary applicant.  Then you will be automatically included as his wife.

If he already has PR, then you need to apply for a partner visa, not a skilled visa.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If your husband is registered to work as a vet in NSW, does that mean he has a visa already?  

If neither of you has PR, then he's the one who needs to apply as the primary applicant.  Then you will be automatically included as his wife.

If he already has PR, then you need to apply for a partner visa, not a skilled visa.

No he doesnt have a visa as yet. He had his skills assessed and gained membership. Will I be able to work in AUS with a partner visa?

5 hours ago, Areyousure said:

https://deltaimmigration.com.au/Veterinarian/234711.htm

I would advice you to apply with your husband as the primary applicant. Because vet is on the occupation list for both 189,190. And also for some regions in 489. He should definitely get a lot more points for his work experience and together with the 10 points for 489, there is a good chance that you guys would get invited very soon. 

All the best ?

Thank you. we will do so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampa said:

No he doesnt have a visa as yet. He had his skills assessed and gained membership. Will I be able to work in AUS with a partner visa?

If he applies as the main applicant, you get the same visa he does... with the same working rights... you wont need to apply for a separate partner visa...

I think there was an assumption that your husband already HAD a visa, however it would appear he doesn't yet.

I'm inclined to agree with everyone...have you done a points test for your husband? If he's below the age threshold then I think its a no-brainer, he has to be the main applicant for you guys to be swiftly picked... you just enjoy the ride ?

5 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

I'm only speaking form experiencing the 189 visa application process... I'm not well versed on 190 and 489.

Before we could lodge our EOI for 189, the point score changed from 60 to 65 so he doesnt qualify anymore. So we have put our hopes on 190 and 489. I am just worried as a graduate and how this might affect us. 

8 minutes ago, Rampa said:

Before we could lodge our EOI for 189, the point score changed from 60 to 65 so he doesnt qualify anymore. So we have put our hopes on 190 and 489. I am just worried as a graduate and how this might affect us. 

Did he do ielts/pte? 20 points could be claimed for that.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rampa said:

He still needs to be the one who applies. If he's the main applicant, your experience is irrelevant.  

2 minutes ago, Areyousure said:

Did he do ielts/pte? 20 points could be claimed for that.  

We both wrote the PTE test but couldnt claim points from it even though we passed (qualified for competent English). I was thinking that he writes it again. It will be his third attempt if he decides to. What test would you suggest he takes? The PTE again or IELTS?

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

He still needs to be the one who applies. If he's the main applicant, your experience is irrelevant.  

Yeah I noticed that. I am a bit confused though. If lets say for example he gets the 190 visa, does this mean I also get the same rights as he does or I will have to still apply for a partner visa? The thing is he will be claiming 5 points for my occupation. Does this then automatically include me in the visa. Because my biggest concern is being able to work in AUS. My qualifications have already been assessed and approved by the AASW. I just need a work permit to get a job. 

3 minutes ago, Rampa said:

We both wrote the PTE test but couldnt claim points from it even though we passed (qualified for competent English). I was thinking that he writes it again. It will be his third attempt if he decides to. What test would you suggest he takes? The PTE again or IELTS?

I personally find IELTS easier, but most people tend to do well in PTE. Are you guys Native English speakers ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rampa said:

Yeah I noticed that. I am a bit confused though. If lets say for example he gets the 190 visa, does this mean I also get the same rights as he does or I will have to still apply for a partner visa? The thing is he will be claiming 5 points for my occupation. Does this then automatically include me in the visa. Because my biggest concern is being able to work in AUS. My qualifications have already been assessed and approved by the AASW. I just need a work permit to get a job. 

Yes, in both 190 and 489, the partner gets the same working rights as the primary applicant. Therefore you would be able to do any kind of work. You do not need to apply for any other visa, separately. 

Edited by Areyousure
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Areyousure said:

Yes, in both 190 and 489, the partner gets the same working rights as the primary applicant. Therefore you would be able to do any kind of work. You do not need to apply for any other visa, separately. 

Thats a relief. Takes off the pressure a bit. I cannot wait. The process takes though. I had to wait over 30 weeks foe the assessment of my qualifications. Thank goodness we got a positive response. I was worried about my work experience and if that would counter against me.