Renewal of RRV

Loxxy

Hi there - many thanks in advance to anyone with experience and advice on the renewal of an RRV. 

The travel facility on my PR visa expired a long time ago (2011) but after much wrangling proving substantial ties, I was able to obtain an RRV for 1 year which expires Jan 2019. I went back to Oz in April 2018 for 3 week holiday (so activated it I guess).  However, for numerous reasons (such as being unable to sell house etc) it now looks impossible that I'm going to be able to get back to Oz permanently before expiry of this 1yr RRV.

Does anyone have any advice on renewing them? Firstly,  will i need to go through the whole proving substantial ties process again? If so, will being enrolled on a UTS course be helpful to my case?

Also, I've read that it's better to be onshore when u apply, so does this mean another holiday would be a good idea to try to extend it for another year? My concern with this is that u are still supposed to be onshore when the decision (hopefully renewal) is issued,  but if it's just a holiday i won't be able to hang around waiting. 

Any help much appreciated! ? xx

4 hours ago, Loxxy said:

Hi there - many thanks in advance to anyone with experience and advice on the renewal of an RRV. 

The travel facility on my PR visa expired a long time ago (2011) but after much wrangling proving substantial ties, I was able to obtain an RRV for 1 year which expires Jan 2019. I went back to Oz in April 2018 for 3 week holiday (so activated it I guess).  However, for numerous reasons (such as being unable to sell house etc) it now looks impossible that I'm going to be able to get back to Oz permanently before expiry of this 1yr RRV.

Does anyone have any advice on renewing them? Firstly,  will i need to go through the whole proving substantial ties process again? If so, will being enrolled on a UTS course be helpful to my case?

Also, I've read that it's better to be onshore when u apply, so does this mean another holiday would be a good idea to try to extend it for another year? My concern with this is that u are still supposed to be onshore when the decision (hopefully renewal) is issued,  but if it's just a holiday i won't be able to hang around waiting. 

Yes - until you meet the 2 year residence requirement you must demonstrate substantial ties, you won’t however need to demonstrate the compelling reasons for absence that would have been required last time. 

If you apply onshore then you can be onshore or offshore for grant. However, if your current RRV has expired and you are onshore and the new one is not granted, then you can stay in Australia on the current RRV as long as you like and build the substantial ties. If you are offshore then that becomes a problem as you cannot return as a permanent resident. 

Be aware that processing times for RRVs that don’t meet the residence requirement are 3 months plus at the moment. Some as long as five, so apply sooner rather than later. 

8 hours ago, Loxxy said:

Proceed with caution and maybe obtain some professional advice, as RRV applications are no longer approved so easily. 

Immigration is being really tough on RRV applications that do not meet the residency requirements and are relying on substantial ties. 

Their current published processing times for such applications is 12 weeks, although I have seen some applications take upto 6 months to process.

5 hours ago, paulhand said:

Yes - until you meet the 2 year residence requirement you must demonstrate substantial ties, you won’t however need to demonstrate the compelling reasons for absence that would have been required last time. 

If you apply onshore then you can be onshore or offshore for grant. However, if your current RRV has expired and you are onshore and the new one is not granted, then you can stay in Australia on the current RRV as long as you like and build the substantial ties. If you are offshore then that becomes a problem as you cannot return as a permanent resident. 

Be aware that processing times for RRVs that don’t meet the residence requirement are 3 months plus at the moment. Some as long as five, so apply sooner rather than later. 

Thank you, Paul.  Will a duplication of the same evidence of substantial ties be acceptable/ necessary, e.g. certified copy of Australian citizen partner's passport again etc. or will additional evidence be expected for a second RRV? For example, I am now enrolling on a UTS course to requalify in my profession in Australia ready to find work there when we move - will that help my application?

Is there a limit to how many RRVs you can get?

Edited by Loxxy

1 hour ago, Raul Senise said:

Proceed with caution and maybe obtain some professional advice, as RRV applications are no longer approved so easily. 

Immigration is being really tough on RRV applications that do not meet the residency requirements and are relying on substantial ties. 

Their current published processing times for such applications is 12 weeks, although I have seen some applications take upto 6 months to process.

Thank you, Raul. In your experience, are Immigration less likely to grant a second RRV if the holder hasn't been able to permanently return to Oz during the first RRV? It is simply a case of our house sale that is holding us up (my partner is Oz citizen), but with all our money being tied up in it, there's no realistic prospect of us relocating without selling first.  ?

Edited by Loxxy
Typo

It could be a valid reason but people manage to move in those circumstances anyway.

You can sell the house without being in the country, rent in Aus until you sell it.  In all this time you must have been able to save something to start you off until you can get a job. What were you planning to do on arrival anyway? Rent or buy it still costs every month.

The house will sell if it is priced correctly. 

If you really want to move you will find a way, are you sure this isn’t just an excuse?

Just saying that these are the arguments that immigration might use to refuse another RRV, you know your situation I don’t but you need to think outside the box if you really want to move.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Loxxy said:

Thank you, Raul. In your experience, are Immigration less likely to grant a second RRV if the holder hasn't been able to permanently return to Oz during the first RRV? It is simply a case of our house sale that is holding us up (my partner is Oz citizen), but with all our money being tied up in it, there's no realistic prospect of us relocating without selling first.  ?

I can't see how Immigration would see that as a good reason not to move, because as Rammygirl says, there's no law that says you have to be in the UK when the house sells. You could rent it out, move and rent a place yourselves in Australia.  

If your husband is an Australian citizen, then I guess if you can't get a RRV then you'll just have to apply for a partner visa all over again, at some future date.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Just saying that these are the arguments that immigration might use to refuse another RRV, you know your situation I don’t but you need to think outside the box if you really want to move.

As the OP has not been absent from Australia for 5 years since they last left Australia as a PR their reasons for absence are not relevant to this application. All the law requires is that they demonstrate substantial ties that are of benefit to Australia. 

14 hours ago, Loxxy said:

Will a duplication of the same evidence of substantial ties be acceptable/ necessary, e.g. certified copy of Australian citizen partner's passport again etc. or will additional evidence be expected for a second RRV?

You should put as much evidence as you have that demonstrates you are maintaining your ties. As Raul has said, this is becoming harder to demonstrate in the current environment and getting some professional help is a good idea. 

14 hours ago, Loxxy said:

Is there a limit to how many RRVs you can get?

No there isn't, as long as you meet the requirements.

6 minutes ago, paulhand said:

As the OP has not been absent from Australia for 5 years since they last left Australia as a PR their reasons for absence are not relevant to this application. All the law requires is that they demonstrate substantial ties that are of benefit to Australia. 

You should put as much evidence as you have that demonstrates you are maintaining your ties. As Raul has said, this is becoming harder to demonstrate in the current environment and getting some professional help is a good idea. 

No there isn't, as long as you meet the requirements.

Thank you again Paul. How much do you charge for advice please? I'd be happy to pay for guidance on any additional steps that I can take to increase my likelihood of securing a second RRV.

2 hours ago, Loxxy said:

Thank you again Paul. How much do you charge for advice please? I'd be happy to pay for guidance on any additional steps that I can take to increase my likelihood of securing a second RRV.

If you go to my website (link in signature) - you can fill in the contact me form and I will take a look at this for you.