sending a dog back to the UK

rachel byrne

Depending on the size of the dog, that sounds about right. We brought ours home in 2016 and cost about $3000 not including rabies jabs and he is a very small chihuahua. Costs are dependent on the size of the crate, which is in turn dependent on the size of the dog. 

We used Dogtainers and were very happy with them. 

7 hours ago, Davo453 said:

Seems pretty good to me it's a lot more going the other way. We have reluctantly decided to rehome ours in the UK, he is 12 though and hates flies, heat and panics in kennels if only we had decided to go home 5 years ago....

Why? They actually cope with the flight far better than we do. Ours was a bit hungry as he has a medical condition that meant they couldn't feed him, but other than that was as perky as normal and running around in Windsor Great Park within hours (then visited his first pub - we opted to do a certain special one for the occasion in Bray) 

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Why? They actually cope with the flight far better than we do. Ours was a bit hungry as he has a medical condition that meant they couldn't feed him, but other than that was as perky as normal and running around in Windsor Great Park within hours (then visited his first pub - we opted to do a certain special one for the occasion in Bray) 

He really does panic in kennels it's not a nice thing to see at all, he was a rescue and never has recovered from the kennel experience 11 years ago. 

He is going to a very good friend that has known and admired him for most of his life, to be honest I think it will be me that is far more distressed than the dog. Although they don't know it yet we will be presenting the cost of the transport to them for his future expenses so it is not financial at all.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Davo453 said:

He really does panic in kennels it's not a nice thing to see at all, he was a rescue and never has recovered from the kennel experience 11 years ago. 

He is going to a very good friend that has known and admired him for most of his life, to be honest I think it will be me that is far more distressed than the dog. Although they don't know it yet we will be presenting the cost of the transport to them for his future expenses so it is not financial at all.

Thats a shame.  I'm sure the stress of the kennel/flight will be tough on him but after all those years with you, him losing you will be far more stressful than one day on a flight.  Can they not sedate dogs a bit? It's good you've got a nice home for him to go to but at that age he's likely to pine for you forever. If it's not financial maybe speak to a vet re sedation or other suggestions and try and take him, he's part of your family and a few flies here and there will be tolerated far more than separation from you. 

12 hours ago, Davo453 said:

But there are no kennels. Well, a couple of hours on arrival being checked by a vet and paperwork processed. There are no quarantine in the uk now as long as they have the rabies jab. You take them to the airport, they fly, they have a couple of hours in animal reception and you pick him up. 

12 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Thats a shame.  I'm sure the stress of the kennel/flight will be tough on him but after all those years with you, him losing you will be far more stressful than one day on a flight.  Can they not sedate dogs a bit? It's good you've got a nice home for him to go to but at that age he's likely to pine for you forever. If it's not financial maybe speak to a vet re sedation or other suggestions and try and take him, he's part of your family and a few flies here and there will be tolerated far more than separation from you. 

They don’t use sedation as the altitude affects its efficacy and they can’t predict the dose accurately and as the animal isn’t monitored or looked at for the time they are in the air it is too dangerous. Increases travel sickness and can cause them not to drink/dehydration as well I think.

I think that is correct, something like this anyway!

I assume @Davo453 knows his dog and is making the best decision based on that. 

As @VERYSTORMY says there are no kennels as such and on the flight they are packed in individual spaces so aren’t all butted up against each other, but he will be in his crate for a while.

I had the most direct flight to avoid the stopover in Dubai for hours, but then they fly into Heathrow which had processing times of 6+ hours when we arrived. You could alert them that the dog will be distressed if kept there for a long period and will need “lots of monitoring “ and that might mean they clear him a bit quicker if they are busy, but no guarantee. 

Tough call for a dog you have had so long. 

We are going back to Australia from the UK so there will be quarantine kennels at the Australia end no way to avoid that that I am aware of. 

It really was not an easy and was an emotional decision, we actually started the process to begin with. We just can't go back and change our minds now.

A few years ago he spent 2 days in a kennel due to wedding commitments, we hoped he would be ok but he wouldn't go to the toilet or eat or drink for the whole time. He came out a quite unwell dog.  He was in that condition when we adopted him from the Blue cross.

The people he is going to are an active retired couple that have another dog that he is friendly with. It would be hard to find a better situation for him really. 

On 18/08/2018 at 06:12, VERYSTORMY said:

But there are no kennels. Well, a couple of hours on arrival being checked by a vet and paperwork processed. There are no quarantine in the uk now as long as they have the rabies jab. You take them to the airport, they fly, they have a couple of hours in animal reception and you pick him up. 

• Like 1

We have cats rather than dogs, but used Dogtainers.  They were absolutely great, and looked after our cats perfectly from the moment they picked them up for the pre-flight stay, right through to delivery at this end.  They sent updates and photos for us, which was reassuring, and they kept in touch with us until after they had been delivered by their Scotland partner.  They took care of everything, and timed their flights so they'd arrive in Dubai overnight, have a stay for food, water and some exercise, and then arranged the second flight on to Glasgow for a time that arrived in time for them to clear customs and be delivered that same day.  The cats were slightly crumpled and a bit smelly when they arrived, but as soon as we let them out of their crates they were back to normal, as it were!