Moving back

Scousers1

On 27/08/2018 at 16:39, Toots said:

Your children are still fairly young I think TazG?  If you are happy, they will be happy too.  My cousin and his wife migrated to Australia when their three were 12 and 10 (twins).  They missed their friends for a while until they made new ones at school and have never looked back.  They are young adults now and barely give Scotland a thought - travelled to lots of different countries but not the UK.  They had very few relatives and no grandparents left which made a difference I think.

Yeah Toots, they are 13,15 & 16.  The two eldest (my girls) are very excited at the prospect.  The boy thinks that it is doom and gloom there... He has no experience to base this idea off. I will show him how beautiful my country is and I hope he falls in love with it.  I was 14 when I moved here,  I have missed Scotland every single day since then.

2 minutes ago, TazG said:

Yeah Toots, they are 13,15 & 16.  The two eldest (my girls) are very excited at the prospect.  The boy thinks that it is doom and gloom there... He has no experience to base this idea off. I will show him how beautiful my country is and I hope he falls in love with it.  I was 14 when I moved here,  I have missed Scotland every single day since then.

Your boy is in for a pleasant surprise.  Scotland is a great wee country!  ?  My two boys loved visiting their Granny in Scotland and made good friends with the boys from the village during their stays.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I haven't posted on here in a long time but was reading the sep newsletter and reading the site a bit saw this and can understand how hard it can be 

We have just come back to the Uk , after renting our house in Sydney out . we have one son 21 born in OZ and said he could come with. us or stay in Sydney but would have to move to Uni accomodation as he was living at home , he decided to come and starts Uni here in September , we have been here for six weeks so far he is missing friends and GF back in OZ but is looking forward to going to Uni so I am really hoping he can make friends and enjoy life here as I would really prefer to be in the same county as him although who knows what can happen , my parents did this and I have too left family behind to live in Australia for so many years.  Nothing is for ever and I really wanted to come back as my last try in 2009 did not work out as I had hoped now I have family with serious health issues so I knew time was running out and I am so glad we are back

Hope it all works out for you

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/08/2018 at 14:25, TazG said:

I hear you loud and clear on this one.  I am moving home next year and am scared that my children will feel the same way that I have felt for the past 30 years living in Australia.  I have never stopped missing home.  I am taking them over in Easter for a few weeks to see what they think with the plan of moving over in September.  They are very excited now, I hope they remain equally as excited after they have been there.

How old are your children? And what area will you go to?

On 04/09/2018 at 06:48, Chortlepuss said:

It’s a tricky situation to be in. I got a job in Australia 11 years ago from the UK so am responsible for all of us moving over - at the time my kids were 10 and 12. Now in my 50’s and struggling to get work I cannot envisage retirement here and am desperate to get home and lead a full life. But I feel guilty for wanting this - my daughter is independent & will remain & my son has MH issues and is unlikely to get support in the UK. Although I think he would prefer the climate and culture of the UK it is a large step to make when he is relatively stable here & has friends.

I would feel like I am abandoning them and not so easy to travel once you get older and frailer. Part of me thinks ‘made my bed and lie in it’ and part of me thinks ‘you only have one life’. I don’t suppose this helps much, but wanted you to know you’re not the only one going through this.

Thank you for your comments. No i know there are lots of people going through this. I have had the worst year this years with trying to figure this out. In the UK and here up to a few years ago we where very happy outgoing people and life was for living. Its hard to admit but we are all depressed and fed up with our lives here and to make it worse we have great people back home who i would love to spend my days with. I think we have to bite the bullett and go to be honest.

Edited by Scousers1

19 minutes ago, Scousers1 said:

Thank you for your comments. No i know there are lots of people going through this. I have had the worst year this years with trying to figure this out. In the UK and here up to a few years ago we where very happy outgoing people and life was for living. Its hard to admit but we are all depressed and fed up with our lives here and to make it worse we have great people back home who i would love to spend my days with. I think we have to bite the bullett and go to be honest.

It sounds like you need to consider your parents.   Your daughter is young and she can move between Australia and England whenever she likes.  Your parents are running out of choices - if they don't move back now, it will be too late and they will end their days where they don't want to be.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It sounds like you need to consider your parents.   Your daughter is young and she can move between Australia and England whenever she likes.  Your parents are running out of choices - if they don't move back now, it will be too late and they will end their days where they don't want to be.

Scousers1, it seems to me that you are carrying the full weight of the decision to move back to the UK. I know you've got hubby on board and that's great, but is there anyway that you can get together with him and your parents and formulate a plan? Four adults, a lot of work to do, share the load?

7 hours ago, Melbpom said:

Scousers1, it seems to me that you are carrying the full weight of the decision to move back to the UK. I know you've got hubby on board and that's great, but is there anyway that you can get together with him and your parents and formulate a plan? Four adults, a lot of work to do, share the load?

Unfortunately parents are unable to to physically help as dad is really going down hill and now mum has just been diagnosed with bladder cancer. hubby is ok about going in fact he says we need to to be able to know for sure if it is what we want in the future. Yes it feels like alot of pressure on me at the moment?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, TazG said:

My 3 will be 14, 16 & 17 by the time I move next year.  Looking at outer Glasgow, maybe near the Campsies 🙂

Very nice part of the world. We are south of Glasgow near Strathaven, which I would also recommend. Also has one of the best schools in Scotland. 

• Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 02:39, VERYSTORMY said:

Very nice part of the world. We are south of Glasgow near Strathaven, which I would also recommend. Also has one of the best schools in Scotland. 

I grew up in several places.... East Kilbride, Lennoxtown, Lenzie and North Ayrshire before moving to Australia.  I love being by the sea but I miss the hills.  I want my daughter to study nursing at Stirling University and I will likely get work in Glasgow.  So who knows where we will end up.