Son (Australian Citizen) moving back to UK for work

The Warner’s in Oz

7 minutes ago, The Warner’s in Oz said:

Hi there

My 20 year old son has moved back to UK for work. He is an Australian Citizen and we let his UK passport expire ? He’s applying for new one over there and an National Insurance Number (as he was too young when we left)! Does he need a work visa to work in the country where he was born? 

Thankyou

Jayne

He is a British citizen. Not only does he not need a work visa, but he can;t get one!

2 hours ago, The Warner’s in Oz said:

Even though he became an Australian citizen Nemesis?

Yes.  Britain and Australia allow dual citizenship so he is a citizen of both with the rights that being a citizen allows.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Warner’s in Oz said:

Even though he became an Australian citizen Nemesis?

Unless he has renounced his British citizenship, then yes. Otherwise how could he be renewing his British passport?!  He is a dual citizen, he cannot get a visa for the UK or for Australia.

But in order to work he should enter on a British Passport not Australian. So once he has his British Passport he needs to do something...leave/re-enter would be the way I know of but it may be possible just to inform them somehow....sorry I’m not clear on the “how” but maybe look it up or someone else might fill in the gaps!!

7 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

But in order to work he should enter on a British Passport not Australian. So once he has his British Passport he needs to do something...leave/re-enter would be the way I know of but it may be possible just to inform them somehow....sorry I’m not clear on the “how” but maybe look it up or someone else might fill in the gaps!!

That has no impact.m

That has no impact.m

It can have a few impacts:

If you state on landing you are in the U.K. to work, you may need to provide evidence you are entitled to. It does not have to be a passport, but there aren’t many other options.

It also does if you are delayed the next time you try to get in the country whilst they try to investigate the perceived overstay of your last entry because it was an AU passport [emoji6]

Or, if you choose to not mention you are there to ‘live and work’ in the U.K. (I.e. Visitor), but they don’t believe you, they can turn you around on the next flight/face more delays whilst you argue about being a citizen who was not honest about their intentions.

It is also one of the few ways you can prove to an employer you can work in the U.K.

When you apply for a UK passport it will ask if you're a citizen of another country. He will need to scan his Australian passport as part of the UK passport application as a dual citizen. Therefore they will already know the details hence it will have no impact.

The next time he tries to get into the Uk it will be with a valid UK passport so why would he be delayed on a perceived overstay of a visa when he's a citizen?

When you apply for a UK passport it will ask if you're a citizen of another country. He will need to scan his Australian passport as part of the UK passport application as a dual citizen. Therefore they will already know the details hence it will have no impact.

The next time he tries to get into the Uk it will be with a valid UK passport so why would he be delayed on a perceived overstay of a visa when he's a citizen?

If he already has a U.K. Passport by the next time he enters, I agree, it ‘should’ be fine. Not if he leaves and tries to re-enter on his AU passport though....

A counter signatory for an adult passport when applying from within the U.K. must be in the U.K. and have known you for 2 years....

6 hours ago, LouDYorkie said:

It can have a few impacts:

If you state on landing you are in the U.K. to work, you may need to provide evidence you are entitled to. It does not have to be a passport, but there aren’t many other options.

It also does if you are delayed the next time you try to get in the country whilst they try to investigate the perceived overstay of your last entry because it was an AU passport emoji6.png

Or, if you choose to not mention you are there to ‘live and work’ in the U.K. (I.e. Visitor), but they don’t believe you, they can turn you around on the next flight/face more delays whilst you argue about being a citizen who was not honest about their intentions.

It is also one of the few ways you can prove to an employer you can work in the U.K.

Technically, they cannot refuse a British citizen the right to enter the UK.   Yes, it can cause delays, but haven't you ever heard of a birth certificate?  It's not a question of them "not believing" you, it's just a case of making sure you bring your evidence with you.

Same goes for getting work in the UK.  I can't remember ever being asked for my passport by an employer, either in the UK or Australia - and that makes sense, because many people don't even have a current passport, so it would be an unreasonable requirement.   If you're born in the UK, a birth certificate is all that's required. 

Technically, they cannot refuse a British citizen the right to enter the UK.   Yes, it can cause delays, but haven't you ever heard of a birth certificate?  It's not a question of them "not believing" you, it's just a case of making sure you bring your evidence with you.
Same goes for getting work in the UK.  I can't remember ever being asked for my passport by an employer, either in the UK or Australia - and that makes sense, because many people don't even have a current passport, so it would be an unreasonable requirement.   If you're born in the UK, a birth certificate is all that's required. 

I wasn’t suggesting they wouldn’t believe you are a citizen, just that if you try to bypass the system and say you are coming on holiday, then they may not believe you if you had all your worldly goods with you.
Love the snippy sarcasm. [emoji23]
But HMRC don’t request a birth certificate document number for new starters to be sent to them. Whereas HMRC DO ask for NI Number and passport number if they are known so it is increasingly common that this is the evidence requested by employers as part of Right to Work (UKVI) and age verification for National Insurance etc (seeing as the employer doesn’t need to wait for age exemption certificates before ceasing employee NI contributions, didn’t you know [emoji12])

1 hour ago, LouDYorkie said:

I wasn’t suggesting they wouldn’t believe you are a citizen, just that if you try to bypass the system and say you are coming on holiday, then they may not believe you if you had all your worldly goods with you.
Love the snippy sarcasm. emoji23.png
But HMRC don’t request a birth certificate document number for new starters to be sent to them. Whereas HMRC DO ask for NI Number and passport number if they are known so it is increasingly common that this is the evidence requested by employers as part of Right to Work (UKVI) and age verification for National Insurance etc (seeing as the employer doesn’t need to wait for age exemption certificates before ceasing employee NI contributions, didn’t you know emoji12.png)

If you can prove you are a citizen, then why would they even ask whether you're coming on holiday or coming to stay for good?  You have a complete right to do both so why should they care?

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you can prove you are a citizen, then why would they even ask whether you're coming on holiday or coming to stay for good?  You have a complete right to do both so why should they care?

Exactly. I've been coming and going for over 30 years and no-one has ever asked me if I intended to work, just wave the British passport, thats all they need to know. 

• Like 1