Job offer?

Dorsetbrit

Hi guys have just had a job offer in Australia and unsure on what the next step should be. I’m a landscape gardener and run my own business and have 18 years experience but no qualifications. We were originally going to apply through the wife’s side of things as she’s an accountant but the points are still at 80 for a general accountant and she has 75 we believe. She is about to get her skills accessed and now I have a job offer through and don’t know what to do next. And help really appreciated as always.

Have they said they are going to sponsor? If so, they should commence the process with a nomination. I would also recommend they use a migration agent. 

If they are sponsoring, you need to be aware of what this is. It is a temporary visa and the probability is you will have to return to the UK at the end of the visa

• Like 1

I think it’s just a job offer and your right it’s a big risk even if it was sponsorship to sell your house etc and if it doesn’t work out. My wife will apply for a permanent visa but again not easy being an accountant. Still at 80 points and she has 75.

36 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

I think it’s just a job offer and your right it’s a big risk even if it was sponsorship to sell your house etc and if it doesn’t work out. My wife will apply for a permanent visa but again not easy being an accountant. Still at 80 points and she has 75.

You're quite right.  If it's sponsorship then you wouldn't sell your house, you'd rent it out.  On a sponsorship, the employer would typically pay your air fares and shipping costs there and back, so it can be a good way to test the waters.  Just make sure all those expenses are included in the contract.

I think it’s just a job offer, they’re creating it just for me so I think they’re happy to wait until we sort our visas out. Probably best so we can hopefully get a 189 if the points drop. It’s actually impossible to get 80 points as an accountant as you can’t have the experience and qualification and be under an age to give more points. She’s 31 and has 75 and that because she got 20 points on the English test. Madness feels so hard and she’s super qualified, I know they get a lot of accountants apply but most are from China. Long process ahead.

2 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

I think it’s just a job offer, they’re creating it just for me so I think they’re happy to wait until we sort our visas out. Probably best so we can hopefully get a 189 if the points drop. It’s actually impossible to get 80 points as an accountant as you can’t have the experience and qualification and be under an age to give more points. She’s 31 and has 75 and that because she got 20 points on the English test. Madness feels so hard and she’s super qualified, I know they get a lot of accountants apply but most are from China. Long process ahead.

Unfortunately the points system doesn't really work for genuine overseas Accountants as it is swamped by international students in Australia. They are able to obtain 80 points as they can get additional 5 points for Australian study, 5 points for doing a professional year (course) in Australia and 5 points for 1 year of work experience in Australia.

As such, a large proportion of invites for Accountants go to International Students in Australia, who have very little experience, with many having no intention of remaining in the profession once they achieve Permanent Residency.

As such the shortage of highly skilled Accountants in Australia continues.

• Like 1

Sounds near on impossible then? Maybe once the skill assessment is complete an agent might give us a few options. I’d take a two year one right now as long as we could look at pr. I’d rather longer as we plan to sell and really integrate in the Australian way of life. I have a job offer already with good pay around $70000 and once there the wife should be 100,000+ I know we’d be very comfortable on those figures and provide a great new life for a son. I shouldn’t complain we wanted stricter migration in the uk and can’t complain when we find it tuff getting in another country.

6 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

On another note I am a landscape gardener and have been for 20 years, it’s on the combined skills list, is this an option at all, I don’t have qualification and i have my own business so many years of experience. Just looking at all avenues.

You occupation might be an option even without formal qualifications through a route of recognition of time worked instead. However, my advice would be to run it past an agent such as Raul above. 

Can you claim an extra 5 points by going for a 190 state nominated visa? 

You could look into an RPL Recognition of prior learning as an avenue, this could help you become the lead applicant or add another 5 points for partner skills to your wifes application.

My Wife is an accountant in a similar position, she is a real fully qualified and experienced accountant with a recognised qualification, but no Aus study or experience.

We have a migration agent helping us, invaluable.... 

We will get her side assessed and go through an agent as they don’t really want to know unless you’ve done this. Just wondered if I can get accessed but not sure if any where does that for my trade and what can I show apart from accounts and a website? Thanks for the advise invaluable. If I could add 5 points she’d be on 80 and stand a better chance.