Any one in Orana (preferably Dubbo) on 489 visa

Hi guys, we (myself, wife and child) received 489 visa by the end of 2017 and we made our 1st entry in a week and returned from Australia (we stayed in Australia for just 8 days). We had visa granted from RDA Orana, and we found Dubbo is most prominent city there, so we made a visit to Dubbo too during our 1st entry. Now, I am planning to move to Orana, in order to satisfy the 2 year period required to apply for 887. I am an Electrical Engineer by profession having 9 years experience, but I know that the chances of getting a job in my stream will be less than 5%. I would appreciate if any one on 489 visa living in Orana Region, in particular Dubbo can please comment here, so that it would help me to prepare before I land there. Initially I am not taking my family along as I don't how things would be.

Thank you guys

Personally, I would not ever consider living in Dubbo.   It is a long, long way from anywhere else, the climate is hot and the economy is not particularly good. I think you will struggle to find work there.

I would suggest looking at Mudgee, it is a thriving little town and only 3 hours from Sydney and Newcastle. Unjlike Dubbo, there is a lot of tourism there as well as mining and farming, and that attracts more businesses, which means more work.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Personally, I would not ever consider living in Dubbo.   It is a long, long way from anywhere else, the climate is hot and the economy is not particularly good. I think you will struggle to find work there.

I would suggest looking at Mudgee, it is a thriving little town and only 3 hours from Sydney and Newcastle. Unjlike Dubbo, there is a lot of tourism there as well as mining and farming, and that attracts more businesses, which means more work.  

I couldn't live in Dubbo either.  Agree about Mudgee and Orange is a much better place too.

1 hour ago, Scorpionrocks said:

Thank you for the reply Maria, Toots, & Verystromy. But does Orange comes under Orana? I believe it is not. As the 489 condition stays we have to be in the regional area which grants visa until and unless we get a release.

You are right. Orange isn’t in Orana region.

3 hours ago, Scorpionrocks said:

Also isn't there anyone in this forum who lives in Dubbo or Orana?

I looked on Facebook and their is a group called Dubbo Community Group. You might have more luck posting on there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scorpionrocks said:

Thank you for the reply Maria, Toots, & Verystromy. But does Orange comes under Orana? I believe it is not. As the 489 condition stays we have to be in the regional area which grants visa until and unless we get a release.

Sorry I mentioned Orange - didn't mean to confuse you.  Blimey!  Just googled Orana and it covers the far west of NSW.  Dubbo is the largest town by far.

Good luck!  ?

20 hours ago, Booma said:

I looked on Facebook and their is a group called Dubbo Community Group. You might have more luck posting on there.

Hi Booma... thank You... I had tried the Facebook groups earlier. Not very useful though. The fb group in some other regions are really helpful but not the Dubbo one.

21 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Probably not, the members here are mainly from the UK and they tend to settle in the coastal cities.  I would find Dubbo a difficult place to live myself.

Yeah... but anyway have to stay in Orana... will try 1st couple of months in Dubbo. If nothing turns out will try Mudgee or wil try to get release from the RDA

7 hours ago, Toots said:

Sorry I mentioned Orange - didn't mean to confuse you.  Blimey!  Just googled Orana and it covers the far west of NSW.  Dubbo is the largest town by far.

Good luck!  ?

That's ohk Toots and thnks for the wishes. Hope I will b able to find something gud...

• Like 1

Hi, I have been looking into a NSW 489 and particularly Dubbo as my occupation is on the list for that region. From what I have read, regional areas are more likely to give you a letter of release than say, a state for a state sponsored 190, as they know jobs can be hard to get. If you went to Orana and couldn’t get work you could probably get released, but obviously you would still have to live and work in a regional area while on a 489. There are some regional areas closer to cities which may have more job opportunities. For the 887, the conditions are that you’ve worked for 12 months and lived for 2 years in a regional area, not necessarily the one that sponsored you. 

Btw, if anyone knows any different to what I’ve said, please correct me! I’m interested too!

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 23:32, Njrichards25 said:

Hi, I have been looking into a NSW 489 and particularly Dubbo as my occupation is on the list for that region. From what I have read, regional areas are more likely to give you a letter of release than say, a state for a state sponsored 190, as they know jobs can be hard to get. If you went to Orana and couldn’t get work you could probably get released, but obviously you would still have to live and work in a regional area while on a 489. There are some regional areas closer to cities which may have more job opportunities. For the 887, the conditions are that you’ve worked for 12 months and lived for 2 years in a regional area, not necessarily the one that sponsored you. 

Btw, if anyone knows any different to what I’ve said, please correct me! I’m interested too!

Yeah u r right. Just that the region should give u approval to move from there