Oak furniture - Victoria

swc132994

Is oak a thing in Aus? I had some lovely Tassie Blackwood furniture. Sorry, not an answer to your question more a verbalised thought!

Not sure there is an equivalent in shopping terms that I'm aware of but Aus is a big place, maybe others will know.

Early Settler is large chunky, rustic stuff. Harvey Norman have all sorts, more refined. 

ETA sorry just noticed you are in Vic. No direct comparison stores that the I am aware of but again it is a large state.

Edited by Amber Snowball

There are an enormous amount of furniture stores in Australia, they've been exporting wood for years and it's not expensive for average wood.  A lot of furniture comes in from Indonesia and China now, but the wood could have come from here originally.  There's a lot of cheap board and veneer, but also plenty of solid wood furniture...you can usually tell by the price.

Take a look here for a list, then follow some of the links to different stores and check out some of the different woods....much more than pine or oak.  Australia's different for shopping and a lot of these places have re-sellers in a particular city but they send deliveries interstate.

https://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--318_Furniture

Wormy Chestnut is a good alternative to oak, harder and very Australian.  It's not a chestnut but a eucalytpus hardwood.  The "wormy" comes from the dark streaks in the wood that reflect the life history and attacks by fire and drought, causing changes in the markings.  Hard enough to use in commercial flooring, or for furniture with plenty of character and visible history within the grain.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maria,

It did actually occur to me. However all the furniture I currently have is oak, therefore it would be ideal to be in the same wood as it would match current furniture. Even in the UK most of the oak furniture bought is made in China. Australia is closer in distance than UK so I thought I would check with the community on this forum to see.

I don't have a problem with local wood and more than happy to try a new furniture theme, it just an ideal of mine to not mix up decor themes. 

Edited by swc132994

“Wait, there’s more”. (Apologies for the plagiarism).  All used for furniture and all Australian

Blackwood

Celery Top Pine

Myrtle

Leatherwood

Tasmanian Oak

Satin Box

Redgum

Mountain Ash

Blackbutt

Camphor Laurel

Coachwood

Red Ironbark

Red Stringybark

Rose Gum

Spotted Gum

Sydney Blue Gum

Yellow Stringybark

Black Bean

Brush Box

Cypress Pine

Hoop Pine

Maple

Qld. Walnut

Silky Oak

Silver Ash

White Beech

Guest The Pom Queen

I don’t know where you are heading in Melbourne but if you go to Dandenong and head to Frankston/Dandenong Road you will find all your furniture shops and more in one place. Early Settlers seem to have majority wood https://www.earlysettler.com.au/ be careful of fantastic furniture and super A Mart (I think they have dropped the Super part now) as although it may look nice it doesn’t last. They also have a large number of Bali wood stores around.

• 2 weeks later...