QLD driving licence

Davo453

I am an Australian currently living in the UK but i'm on my way home soon (well this year anyway)

I had a WA licence before coming to the UK (MC class) but it is now some 11 years out of date and I just have a UK car licence.

I certainly don't expect to get an MC class when I return but wonder what I do.

Do I have to apply for a QLD licence first? or can i drive on the UK one for a time?

Can I somehow resurrect my old WA licence and transfer that?

Do I do a theory test or will i have to take a full test?

QLD Government sites on the net are confusing so any advice appreciated.....

Edited by Davo453

56 minutes ago, Davo453 said:

I am an Australian currently living in the UK but i'm on my way home soon (well this year anyway)

I had a WA licence before coming to the UK (MC class) but it is now some 11 years out of date and I just have a UK car licence.

I certainly don't expect to get an MC class when I return but wonder what I do.

Do I have to apply for a QLD licence first? or can i drive on the UK one for a time?

Can I somehow resurrect my old WA licence and transfer that?

Do I do a theory test or will i have to take a full test?

QLD Government sites on the net are confusing so any advice appreciated.....

I can only tell you our experience 14 years ago, same confusion  even when we went to their offices, until I went one day to book the theory test and was told that it was a straight exchange of a UK licence for a Qld one, seems like employees didn’t know and made it up the spot.

14 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I can only tell you our experience 14 years ago, same confusion  even when we went to their offices, until I went one day to book the theory test and was told that it was a straight exchange of a UK licence for a Qld one, seems like employees didn’t know and made it up the spot.

Thanks for that, when I moved from QLD to WA about 30 years ago I had to do a multiple guess test to get a WA licence. questions about the speed limit in Kings Park etc...

They love to keep the whole thing mysterious don't they ?

3 minutes ago, Davo453 said:

Thanks for that, when I moved from QLD to WA about 30 years ago I had to do a multiple guess test to get a WA licence. questions about the speed limit in Kings Park etc...

They love to keep the whole thing mysterious don't they ?

I really think they just don’t know, I got my licence that day and rang my my wife to leave work there and then and get hers before the staff changed the following day

10 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

You can drive on your UK one for 3 months but will then need to transfer. It’s an easy enough process. https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer

Thanks for that i had read that page but it doesn't cover my exact situation ie Australian Citizen with an overseas licence but i guess the 3 months will apply anyway.

Guest The Pom Queen
5 minutes ago, Davo453 said:

Thanks for that i had read that page but it doesn't cover my exact situation ie Australian Citizen with an overseas licence but i guess the 3 months will apply anyway.

Sorry there is another option which would mean you converting your WA license over. However, as it’s been expired 5 years it would mean you doing all the testing again. So I’d go for the UK exchange. 

• 3 weeks later...

Exchange the UK one. They won't care you're from WA, only that you've got a license. 

Edit: One thing though, make sure they put the correct amount of years onto your license. They forgot to do it with mine and assumed I'd just got my opens. 

Edited by Jack91

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Nikisha said:

Hi all

I have a South African drivers license that was recently renewed does my drivers convert like in the above mentioned case or do I have to go through the process?

Thanx

Have a read through this page (scroll down to near the bottom where the list of countries is) but i think if your over 25 you can convert it with no tests required  - https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...

There is no requirement to exchange your driving licence to a QLD driver licence if you are on a temp visa. However you still can if you wish.

The three month time limit only applies to someone who becomes a permanent resident. You have three months to change it to a QLD licence otherwise you are deemed unlicensed.

Regarding the OP. His WA driver licence is no longer current as it would have been replaced with the UK driver licence (you can only have one driver licence). My advice would be to exchange it for a QLD drive licence as soon as he/she arrives as the three month rule won't apply as he/she is already a citizen.

Hope that makes sense.

JOHN

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, mr luvpants said:

There is no requirement to exchange your driving licence to a QLD driver licence if you are on a temp visa. However you still can if you wish.

The three month time limit only applies to someone who becomes a permanent resident. You have three months to change it to a QLD licence otherwise you are deemed unlicensed.

Regarding the OP. His WA driver licence is no longer current as it would have been replaced with the UK driver licence (you can only have one driver licence). My advice would be to exchange it for a QLD drive licence as soon as he/she arrives as the three month rule won't apply as he/she is already a citizen.

Hope that makes sense.

JOHN

Hello @mr luvpants how are you and the Mrs? Are you still a man in uniform? Where are you living these days?