It certainly is the Bush Capital

Bulya

Not really surprised. It was a while ago now but I had a bit of a chuckle when driving to work one day along Commonwealth Ave and saw a road kill roo on the other side of Commonwealth Ave from the Canadian High Commission - on his way up to Parliament no doubt, couldn’t have got more central if he’d tried (I do always feel sorry for the animals but geez they’re stupid creatures)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quoll said:

Not really surprised. It was a while ago now but I had a bit of a chuckle when driving to work one day along Commonwealth Ave and saw a road kill roo on the other side of Commonwealth Ave from the Canadian High Commission - on his way up to Parliament no doubt, couldn’t have got more central if he’d tried (I do always feel sorry for the animals but geez they’re stupid creatures)

It probably sneaked into the green areas of the city at night to feast on the well watered grass.  Yes, they are on the dopey side.  When I'm out walking with my dog who is a real hunter, I'm amazed how the wallabies stand upright looking at us until we are about 4 metres away then they take off.  I have to put the lead back on my dog as he would chase them.  The rabbits are just as stupid.  They watch us approaching until we're really close then decide the dog is a danger and scoot off by which time they are lucky to escape from him by the skin of their teeth.

3 hours ago, Toots said:

It probably sneaked into the green areas of the city at night to feast on the well watered grass.  Yes, they are on the dopey side.  When I'm out walking with my dog who is a real hunter, I'm amazed how the wallabies stand upright looking at us until we are about 4 metres away then they take off.  I have to put the lead back on my dog as he would chase them.  The rabbits are just as stupid.  They watch us approaching until we're really close then decide the dog is a danger and scoot off by which time they are lucky to escape from him by the skin of their teeth.

Yes, the centre of town road kill was during the last big drought and the suburban gardens offered water. Before that drought we never really saw them that close to town. 

We get them in our garden even now and it’s a good km from any bush. When I was there a few weeks ago I was quite surprised at the extent of the roo poo throughout the suburb. It’s a bit of a shock to wander out bleary eyed in the morning and come nose to nose with a big buck who’s eating your “grass”. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I saw a great documentary a few years ago about the kangaroos in Canberra.  They filmed around the city at night and it was stunning how many kangaroos there were, all over the place.

A lot more now.  Add to equation that Gunghalin is the fastest growing area in Australia so the number of accidents will increase