To move to Perth or not...

Sammy_hx

Hey guys! 

I have been living in Melbourne for the past 10 months and I am now thinking of moving to Perth for a while but just want some opinions and advice first..

I am and backpacker and have a administration background, is it easy to get work? What are the average wages like? Is Perth easy to get around/commute? Is accommodation/house share cheap? 

Is there good trips to do of a weekend when I'm not working?

Any advice would be amazing!!

Thanks!

Sammy

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Are you on a working holiday visa?   I do hope you've managed to see a bit more of Australia in your 10 months!  

I knew backpackers from the UK who used to do casual work in our office who never left Sydney.  :nah:  The females seemed to be a bit more adventurous but some of the lads just got stuck into pubbing and clubbing in Sydney and that was it.  Don't know why they left the UK really.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm on a working holiday visa, just got my 2nd year granted too. I did the east coast over Christmas and new year and have done quite a few trips around Vic. 

I feel like I've just settled in Melbourne though so want to move on to somewhere else while I can!

• Like 2

Perth is a lot smaller City but has better weather, even Winter can be nice. The beaches are loads better and very close to the City with plenty to choose from, North and South. 

There are wineries and breweries galore in the Swan Valley. Only 30 minutes from Perth. Organised trips if you don't want to drive and I reckon the best way to do the winery tour is by boat on one of the organised tours from Elizabeth Quay in the City. Great day out with lunch thrown in and as much wine and beer as you want.

If you want to go a bit further at weekends there's some excellent places down South. Margaret River is about 4 hours away.

Loads to do in and around Perth though if you are on a tight budget. My son rented a nice room in a shared house for ages. Don't know what he paid though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:00, Toots said:

I knew backpackers from the UK who used to do casual work in our office who never left Sydney.  :nah:  The females seemed to be a bit more adventurous but some of the lads just got stuck into pubbing and clubbing in Sydney and that was it.  Don't know why they left the UK really.

My daughters friend from the UK visited her Aunt in Sydney on a WHV and never left to travel - just found work and had a year in Aus.

• Like 1

My son is 18 - if he goes out it tends to be to Freo, my daughter in her 20's if going clubbing usually goes into the City, she was in Freo at a comedy night last weekend at little creatures, the jazz club has some good music on regularly.   There are usually 'what's on' pages that you can get ideas of anything that's happening

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have lived almost exactly half my life in Perth and half where I live now in Melbourne and this is what I think is better about Perth.

• The beaches put Melbournes to shame. You can also surf at them which you can't in Melbourne.
  • The Swan River puts the Yarra river to shame.
  • Perth weather is warmer and with less rain than Melbourne.
  • Perth is much smaller so it's much easier to drive there.
  • Melbourne doesn't have a town/city like Fremantle which is a great bar, restaurant, fashion spot that is part of Perth though it's own individual place.
  • Perth has Rottnest Island which is a great place to holiday.
  • Perth has much better fishing, both in the river and ocean.
  • Perth is a cleaner city.
  • Perth has Kings Park which overlooks the city and river and is much nicer than Melbourne's Botanical Gardens. 
  • Given all that I still prefer Melbourne but love visiting the family back in Perth, for a little while.
  • Like 1