Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

    Recommended Posts

    Posted (edited)

    I wouldn't worry about the snakes. I've seen quite a few in my area but to be honest they seem more afraid of us. If you see one you can just call the local snake catcher to get rid of them.

    You just get used to this stuff after a while. I used to hate the huge Huntsman spiders but now I can happily remove them from the house myself.

    Personally the creatures I find the most annoying are the mossies! 

    Regarding the climate Brisbane summers are hot and sticky and stormy but the other seasons tend to have beautiful warm sunny days. Love the winters here!

    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

    Edited by DT55
    • Like 2

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited)
    On 4/3/2018 at 22:15, Nandini Millar said:

    Wow pythons too only seen them in zoos. I need to know how to identify so I don't get super worried whenever I spot one. Good to know you haven't heard of anyone who has been bitten by a snake. Thank you for your reply emoji4.png

    My grand daughter loves pythons, especially the albino ones :-) She also likes strange hair ties :-)

     

    33016157051_b723362eb6_b.jpgAlbino Burmese Python - See my album "Jade's Journey" by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

     

    24471697182_0a95c9e031_b.jpg1904278_10203471786743225_190438593_n by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

    Edited by Johndoe
    • Like 4
    • Thanks 1

    Was driving through the world with a cracked rear view, but nowadays I watch only the road ahead

    See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

    Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, DT55 said:

    I wouldn't worry about the snakes. I've seen quite a few in my area but to be honest they seem more afraid of us. If you see one you can just call the local snake catcher to get rid of them.

    You just get used to this stuff after a while. I used to hate the huge Huntsman spiders but now I can happily remove them from the house myself.

    Personally the creatures I find the most annoying are the mossies! 

    Regarding the climate Brisbane summers are hot and sticky and stormy but the other seasons tend to have beautiful warm sunny days. Love the winters here!

    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

    thank you for the knowledge. I hate mosquitoes too they are very annoying. yes we are debating between Melbourne and Brisbane but Brisbane seems to be better as we want a swimming pool too :-D

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, Johndoe said:

    My grand daughter loves pythons, especially the albino ones :-) She also likes strange hair ties :-)

     

    33016157051_b723362eb6_b.jpgAlbino Burmese Python - See my album "Jade's Journey" by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

     

    24471697182_0a95c9e031_b.jpg1904278_10203471786743225_190438593_n by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

    OMGGGGGGG she is super brave. she even wears it on her hair haha. super brave girl she is. Look at the size of the python OMGGGGGG. Well done girl haha

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

     

     

    We’ve been here in Brisbane 7 years and love the weather. I think it’s personal preference. There are a few days a year which are crazy hot but they’re the exception not the rule IMO and we find it quite novel. It also usually means you get a massive thunderstorm in the evening and the storms here are just awesome. We don’t watch the telly on those nights, we watch the storm outside it’s fabulous.

    Winter is cooler, and now we are acclimatised we really feel the cold so I still get to pull out my drawer of winter warmers in June. Last year we stayed in Springbrook for a mini break over winter and had the whole red wine by the log fire/ socks and jumper thing going :-) Best of both worlds.

    Regardig wildlife: 

    I have seen 2 snakes in the time we have been here. One was curled under a rock out in the bush, the second was a tiny little thing that couldn’t get away from me fast enough. The area I live in is surrounded by trees and is renowned for its wildlife but I am actually dissapointed I haven’t seen more! Though there are posts on our local Facebook page of some pretty big pythons in peoples garages etc.!

    We do get wallabies in our garden most nights which is pretty cool though. Took us a while to figure out what the weird looking poo was in our garden until hubby installed security cameras and we saw whole families of them hopping around.

     

    Mosquitoes by far the biggest issue for us. Have to remember the repellant, my poor little girls legs are pretty bad at the moment from playing outside at kindy. 

    On the plus side, no wasps here like the evil British ones that are unrelentless. The Ozzie ones look monstrous, really scary, big with long legs but they just sort of hover around and mind their own business. 

    Oh and ants. But if we keep up with the pesticide spraying every 6 months it’s all good, and anything that does beach the border is usually doing the dance of death on the tiles by the time we find it.

     

    • Like 4

    Due to escalating bills and budgetary cuts in the NHS, unfortunately, the light at the end of the tunnel has had to be switched off.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Brisbane is great, weather can get warm but much better than cold. Brisbane gets more rain than Manchester, is generally stable in temps and yes humid can go up some days.

    Personally weather is a small sacrifice, I could not live with Sydney traffic, prices, attitudes etc whereas Brisbane is much more affordable, fewer crime issues etc.

    Basic rule, coastal is cooler, higher is cooler and try and get a property with through ventilation. Areas like Ipswich only 1/2 inland can be much hotter and more humid.

    Has your friend lived in Brisbane? Areas like Adelaide get much hotter than Brisbane as can Melbourne on the odd day.

    • Like 2

    Thames Migration appointed Jun 12 and 189 Visa granted Jan 13:wink:. Landed Sep 14 and roots being quickly established. Brisbane, what an amazing place with incredible opportunity.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 07/04/2018 at 16:37, DT55 said:

    I wouldn't worry about the snakes. I've seen quite a few in my area but to be honest they seem more afraid of us. If you see one you can just call the local snake catcher to get rid of them.

    You just get used to this stuff after a while. I used to hate the huge Huntsman spiders but now I can happily remove them from the house myself.

    Personally the creatures I find the most annoying are the mossies! 

    Regarding the climate Brisbane summers are hot and sticky and stormy but the other seasons tend to have beautiful warm sunny days. Love the winters here!

    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

    It’s really funny as when we lived in Cairns people would say how hot and humid Brisbane was but we always found it cold. However, now we are down here we do struggle in summer.

    We are currently driving up North and it’s getting more and more humid.

    • Like 1

    If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, srg73 said:

    Brisbane is great, weather can get warm but much better than cold. Brisbane gets more rain than Manchester, is generally stable in temps and yes humid can go up some days.

    Personally weather is a small sacrifice, I could not live with Sydney traffic, prices, attitudes etc whereas Brisbane is much more affordable, fewer crime issues etc.

    Basic rule, coastal is cooler, higher is cooler and try and get a property with through ventilation. Areas like Ipswich only 1/2 inland can be much hotter and more humid.

    Has your friend lived in Brisbane? Areas like Adelaide get much hotter than Brisbane as can Melbourne on the odd day.

    wow more rain than Manchester thats interesting. we might end up in the coastal areas as a lot of people has suggested that it has better weather. My friend has lived only in Sydney but i have other friends who live in Brisbane and Adelaide too. thank u for your reply. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 4/14/2018 at 11:02, Wonderingaloud said:

     

     

    We’ve been here in Brisbane 7 years and love the weather. I think it’s personal preference. There are a few days a year which are crazy hot but they’re the exception not the rule IMO and we find it quite novel. It also usually means you get a massive thunderstorm in the evening and the storms here are just awesome. We don’t watch the telly on those nights, we watch the storm outside it’s fabulous.

    Winter is cooler, and now we are acclimatised we really feel the cold so I still get to pull out my drawer of winter warmers in June. Last year we stayed in Springbrook for a mini break over winter and had the whole red wine by the log fire/ socks and jumper thing going :-) Best of both worlds.

    Regardig wildlife: 

    I have seen 2 snakes in the time we have been here. One was curled under a rock out in the bush, the second was a tiny little thing that couldn’t get away from me fast enough. The area I live in is surrounded by trees and is renowned for its wildlife but I am actually dissapointed I haven’t seen more! Though there are posts on our local Facebook page of some pretty big pythons in peoples garages etc.!

    We do get wallabies in our garden most nights which is pretty cool though. Took us a while to figure out what the weird looking poo was in our garden until hubby installed security cameras and we saw whole families of them hopping around.

     

    Mosquitoes by far the biggest issue for us. Have to remember the repellant, my poor little girls legs are pretty bad at the moment from playing outside at kindy. 

    On the plus side, no wasps here like the evil British ones that are unrelentless. The Ozzie ones look monstrous, really scary, big with long legs but they just sort of hover around and mind their own business. 

    Oh and ants. But if we keep up with the pesticide spraying every 6 months it’s all good, and anything that does beach the border is usually doing the dance of death on the tiles by the time we find it.

     

    thank you so much for your reply. I do feel more confident and better now. i like the sound of enjoying rain thunderstorms. I like the idea of having wine by the log fire sounds really nice. Its good to know we can do that as well haha. do u use mosquito nets or just sprays are good enough? I dont like wasps they are annoying. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Nandini Millar said:

    wow more rain than Manchester thats interesting. we might end up in the coastal areas as a lot of people has suggested that it has better weather. My friend has lived only in Sydney but i have other friends who live in Brisbane and Adelaide too. thank u for your reply. 

    We can have the same anount of rain in an hour that manchester may take a week to drop. The storms here are so heavy, like nothing i;d ever seen. 

     Cal x

    • Like 1

    If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

    If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    We can have the same anount of rain in an hour that manchester may take a week to drop. The storms here are so heavy, like nothing i;d ever seen. 
     Cal x
    Haha an hour of rain spread over one week. Not seen super heavy storms but curious now sounds a bit scary too

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    28 minutes ago, Nandini Millar said:

    Haha an hour of rain spread over one week. Not seen super heavy storms but curious now emoji4.png sounds a bit scary too

    They can be scarey if your out in one but they are amazing to sit back and watch of an evening . (for some reason most storms are in the evenings)

     Cal x

    • Like 1

    If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

    If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    ×