New TSS Visa

Mcguinnessp1968

General question about this really

Looking through the government website I see no mention of how many of these a person could apply for on a consecutive basis

Is there actually likely to be a limit or could someone theoretically apply for a new one every four years provided they were still with the same employer?

If your occupation is on the short term list, you can renew once while in Australia. No limit on off shore applications.

If If your occupation is on the medium/Long term list, the are no limitations.

The issue however, is that they have introduced a Genuine Temporary Stay criteria which may limit multiple applications.

If your occupation is on the short term list, you can renew once while in Australia. No limit on off shore applications.
If If your occupation is on the medium/Long term list, the are no limitations.
The issue however, is that they have introduced a Genuine Temporary Stay criteria which may limit multiple applications.

Thanks Raul

What the criteria? I’m on the medium long list but have just missed the age limit for pr

1 hour ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

Thanks Raul

What the criteria? I’m on the medium long list but have just missed the age limit for pr

Are you trying to find a way of staying permanently Australia without PR?  If you've missed the age limit for PR then you can't. End of story, I'm afraid.    The TSS is a temporary visa, the intention is for employers to fill short-term vacancies. I can see how an employer might get away with renewing it once or twice, but I think immigration might smell a rat if they kept renewing it...

Note Raul said, if you are ON shore, you can renew once.  There's no limit if you are OFF shore - but that means you'll have to take extended leave (for an unpredictable length of time) and go back to the UK while they make the next application, and how many employers will be willing to put up with having to do that every few years?

Even if you could manage to get continual TSS, you'll always have that uncertainty - will you get the next contract, will they change the rules.  And what will you do when you get to retirement age?  You'll have to leave Australia.   By that time you'll have lost your links to the UK, and because of your mixed Australian/British work record, you may find you have a reduced pension and reduced entitlements (depending what the rules are at the time).  

Edited by Marisawright

Are you trying to find a way of staying permanently Australia without PR?  If you've missed the age limit for PR then you can't. End of story, I'm afraid.    The TSS is a temporary visa, the intention is for employers to fill short-term vacancies. I can see how an employer might get away with renewing it once or twice, but I think immigration might smell a rat if they kept renewing it...
Note Raul said, if you are ON shore, you can renew once.  There's no limit if you are OFF shore - but that means you'll have to take extended leave (for an unpredictable length of time) and go back to the UK while they make the next application, and how many employers will be willing to put up with having to do that every few years?
Even if you could manage to get continual TSS, you'll always have that uncertainty - will you get the next contract, will they change the rules.  And what will you do when you get to retirement age?  You'll have to leave Australia.   By that time you'll have lost your links to the UK, and because of your mixed Australian/British work record, you may find you have a reduced pension and reduced entitlements (depending what the rules are at the time).  

I have no idea why you felt the need to spend time typing that inaccurate drivel but each to their own I guess

The criteria for what?
Under the new TSS 482, visa requirements are extensive & varied and will depend on the situation.

I was wondering what the genuine temporary stay criteria are

At this point I am making the presumption that as the rules CURRENTLY stand I will be able to apply for a TSS visa when my 457 expires in 3 and a half years time

Would you say this presumption is correct?

7 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I have no idea why you felt the need to spend time typing that inaccurate drivel but each to their own I guess

Which bit is inaccurate?

Raul clearly said that the TSS is limited to one renewal if you are on shore, and unlimited if you are off shore.  Put that in simple words - if you are in Australia, the employer can apply for one renewal.   If they want to apply again, you'll have to be off shore when they make the application. So that bit's accurate.

The bit about staying too long in Australia and then finding yourself in trouble with pensions is  also accurate.  If you have to leave Australia before you reach pensionable age, you won't get the Australian pension at all.   The British system won't recognise your Australian work record so you'll be short qualifying for the British pension.  

If I'm wrong in reading between the lines to say you want to stay long term, that's fair enough.  I just couldn't see any other reason why you'd be hoping to keep renewing a TSS indefinitely.

Which bit is inaccurate?
Raul clearly said that the TSS is limited to one renewal if you are on shore, and unlimited if you are off shore.  Put that in simple words - if you are in Australia, the employer can apply for one renewal.   If they want to apply again, you'll have to be off shore when they make the application. So that bit's accurate.
The bit about staying too long in Australia and then finding yourself in trouble with pensions is  also accurate.  If you have to leave Australia before you reach pensionable age, you won't get the Australian pension at all.   The British system won't recognise your Australian work record so you'll be short qualifying for the British pension.  
If I'm wrong in reading between the lines to say you want to stay long term, that's fair enough.  I just couldn't see any other reason why you'd be hoping to keep renewing a TSS indefinitely.

Yes you are completely wrong in your reading between the lines and your first statement is also inaccurate

Raul stated that you are limited to one renewal if you are on the short term list. There is no limit on the medium to long term list.
As I am on the medium to long term list that does not apply to me, I’m pretty sure I stated this earlier in the thread.
Clearly I can’t renew indefinitely because at some point I would reach the age where I could work any longer and so would be unable to apply for the visa

As far as pensions, impact of returning to the uk etc are concerned I like to consider myself a relatively intelligent individual. I am well aware of all of these factors as well as the temporary nature of the visa etc etc

I was asking a question based on the facts as much as I am aware of them. If there are other rules associated with these visa which I am not aware of then that is why I am asking the question

6 minutes ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

As far as pensions, impact of returning to the uk etc are concerned I like to consider myself a relatively intelligent individual. I am well aware of all of these factors as well as the temporary nature of the visa etc etc

I was asking a question based on the facts as much as I am aware of them. If there are other rules associated with these visa which I am not aware of then that is why I am asking the question

Knowing about pensions etc is nothing to do with being intelligent, it has to do with knowledge and assumptions.  My husband is an intelligent man, but he was gobsmacked to discover that if he left Australia before age 65, he would get NO Australian pension.  He had assumed that, having worked here for over 30 years, he would be entitled to claim it.  It's a reasonable assumption based on logic, but in fact it's not the case.  British pension entitlements have also changed to require many more years of work in order to qualify (or back-payment of contributions).  Again, an intelligent person is capable of understanding those changes but only if he knows they've happened.

Anyway, glad to hear you're not trying to stay on an unrealistic basis, I guess I've just seen too many people on these forums who try to do exactly that.

Edited by Marisawright

Knowing about pensions etc is nothing to do with being intelligent, it has to do with knowledge and assumptions.  My husband is an intelligent man, but he was gobsmacked to discover that if he left Australia before age 65, he would get NO Australian pension.  He had assumed that, having worked here for over 30 years, he would be entitled to claim it.  It's a reasonable assumption based on logic, but in fact it's not the case.  British pension entitlements have also changed to require many more years of work in order to qualify (or back-payment of contributions).  Again, an intelligent person is capable of understanding those changes but only if he knows they've happened.
Anyway, glad to hear you're not trying to stay on an unrealistic basis, I guess I've just seen too many people on these forums who try to do exactly that.

That’s fine but there is no need to be quickly judgemental and make the wrong assumption

There are more than enough self proclaimed visa police on this forum clogging up threads without you adding to them

1 hour ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

I was wondering what the genuine temporary stay criteria are

At this point I am making the presumption that as the rules CURRENTLY stand I will be able to apply for a TSS visa when my 457 expires in 3 and a half years time

Would you say this presumption is correct?

The Genuine Temporary Stay criteria is quite a grey area. I am sure there will be detailed Policy in this regard soon.

Yes, as things currently stand, you can go from a 457 to a TSS visa and then another TSS visa on shore. The 457 does not count in the two on shore application limit.

• Like 1

The Genuine Temporary Stay criteria is quite a grey area. I am sure there will be detailed Policy in this regard soon.
Yes, as things currently stand, you can go from a 457 to a TSS visa and then another TSS visa on shore. The 457 does not count in the two on shore application limit.

Thanks Raul that answers my question

I do have another query however would it be ok to PM you regarding it?

5 hours ago, Mcguinnessp1968 said:

That’s fine but there is no need to be quickly judgemental and make the wrong assumption

There are more than enough self proclaimed visa police on this forum clogging up threads without you adding to them

How rude of you. When you ask for help on here you are asking peoples opinions and they kindly give them. Sometimes they will add extra bits in to make someone aware of something that they may not have thought of and that's exactly what Marisawright has done. Sometimes people get it wrong as other than a few we are not migrant agents and cannot know everything, that's what happens on a forum.  Super intelligent people also miss things, get things wrong and don't understand things properly. They have to ask for help just like you have. You may consider yourself intelligent but your comments have shown you to be less than polite to say the least.  

• Like 1

How rude of you. When you ask for help on here you are asking peoples opinions and they kindly give them. Sometimes they will add extra bits in to make someone aware of something that they may not have thought of and that's exactly what Marisawright has done. Sometimes people get it wrong as other than a few we are not migrant agents and cannot know everything, that's what happens on a forum.  Super intelligent people also miss things, get things wrong and don't understand things properly. They have to ask for help just like you have. You may consider yourself intelligent but your comments have shown you to be less than polite to say the least.  

I’m sorry but I don’t believe I was rude I was trying to ascertain a fact not opinion
As it happened Marisa got the wrong end of the stick as happens on here a lot. It’s a great forum and it has been incredibly helpful to me in the process I have been through but really some people need to stop and think as to whether they have their facts right before the wade in