Sun cream for teen skin

Chasing a dream

Ok so slightly strange topic but we have been in Oz for just over 3 weeks now and are making sure we are being very sun sensible. The problem is that my 12 year old has typical oily spotty skin and covering her face in sun cream every day is not helping! Any suggestions for a non greasy good face sun cream? 

Try a moisturiser with a SPF and a hat.  That is what I do unless lying on a beach, when I will top up a bit.  I don’t like heavy creams on my face and I haven’t burnt yet.  On fierce sun days I may put a bit of baby sun block on my nose and cheeks too.

• Like 1

Have you tried a gel sunscreen?  They are alcohol based so don't have a sticky/greasy feel.  They may be too drying for some people but it probably won't be a problem for your daughter.  Likewise, spray sunscreens are alcohol based...but she'd need to have a solution for keeping away from eyes etc.

13 minutes ago, Wa7 said:

You could avoid sun cream altogether with a nice hat.

Yeah our youngsters wear hats when out no creams as we feel they dont really work as prescribed. Keep covered or shaded is the way a little sun times ok.

Definitely go a moisturiser with an SPF.  They come in all sorts of skin types so she should be able to find one that works.  They are only meant for incidental exposure rather than for sitting on the beach all day but better than nothing and good if you are just outside for shortish spells at a time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LKC said:

Dermalogica do a sunscreen 'Solar Defence Booster' that you add to your normal moisturiser, which might work.  Alternatively Skinstitut do one which is nice.  

Solar Defence Booster is fabulous, but expensive.  I don't add it to moisturiser, I use it straight, but it's very effective and you only need a pea-size dollop for the whole face.

Edited by Marisawright

40 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Not if you're at the beach, because you get reflected light too.

Think the the op is on about general day to day being in the sun not on the beach.

I have spent many hours on the beach with no cream on face but a decent hat, never caught any sun.

I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Face Lotion SPF 50+ as my everyday moisturiser in summer. I can't stand having that greasy feeling on my face and this one is great

https://www.priceline.com.au/neutrogena-ultra-sheer-face-sunscreen-lotion-spf50-88-ml?gclid=CjwKCAiAlfnUBRBQEiwAWpPA6fDuWeT1yRQDf4yhUYnyMtFvJ5Eh3gcEG8rJM4wftjb9nkb7iS9yphoC7VMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Please note that most sunscreens are not healthy for you. They contain all sorts of harmful chemicals. I have been undertaking quite a lot of research on this and we now use protective natural mineral sunscreens - please see this website for some reference. I am not associated with this. http://blog.hellocharlie.com.au/biggest-ever-natural-sunscreens-cheat-sheet/

On this website [link provided above] there is a very helpful chat now function. You could explicitly explain your teenager's concerns and they may be able to provide you with some helpful advice.

Edited by Questions