Guest Georgina

Useful info from Australia House

    Recommended Posts

    Guest Georgina

    Me and hubby e-mailed Australia House regarding certified copies and what we needed to get copied. We have received an e-mail back from them with a list of 'FAQs' and answers. I'm adding it to here as it may be useful to other people, especially those going it alone without using a Migration Agency. It may seem long and boring but you may find something useful in there!



    Dear Enquirer - the Consular Section of the Australian High Commission can certify but they also charge for this.


    I am responding to your enquiry about how you/your partner would obtain a visa for migration to Australia. We receive many similar enquiries and most issues are generic. The following addresses our most frequently asked questions.


    Partner migration refers to applications for entry to Australia made by the

    married or de facto spouse, fiance(e)s and interdependent (same-sex)

    partners of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New

    Zealand citizens.


    An application for a Partner visa should be lodged at the responsible

    overseas migration office for the country in which the applicant usually

    resides. For persons residing in the UK or the Republic of Ireland, the

    responsible office is the Migration Section of the Australian High

    Commission in London. The information below is intended for persons who

    will be lodging an application in London.


    Key Information Source


    The primary public source for information about Partner Migration migration is the official website of the Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs at Partner information is at'> and you will

    find detailed information about the application process, documentary

    requirements and answers to most frequently-asked questions. The website provides information about partner, prospective marriage (fiancee) and interdependency visas. It provides checklists, describes evidentiary requirement, explains terminology and leads you to the appropriate sponsorship and application forms.


    What Forms do I need to Download and Complete?


    You have a choice of completing an online application (which you must

    eventually print off and submit to the processing office in hard copy) or

    downloading an application package which you can complete in writing.

    Details for online and downloadable forms are at'>


    You will need to have Adobe Acrobat loaded on your computer to enable you to download these forms. This is a free download, and if you do not

    already have it, the website provides a link to upload Adobe as a precursor to downloading the relevant forms.


    Do we Include our Children in the Migration Application?


    If you and your partner have children born outside of Australia, and if one

    of the parents was an Australian citizen at the time of the child's birth,

    your child may be eligible for registration as an Australian citizen by

    descent. This will require you to lodge an application for registration by

    descent with the Citizenship Section of the Australian High Commission.


    If the relevant parent was a permanent resident of Australia, but not a

    citizen, at the time of a child's birth overseas, then that child does need

    to be included as a dependent child in the migrating parent's application.


    If your child is eligible for registration as an Australian citizen by

    descent (and this can only be determined in the context of assessment of an application), you can then apply for an Australian passport for that child

    but only after registration as a citizen.


    A child who has been registered as an Australian citizen by descent does

    not need to be included in a parent's Partner application or undergo any

    sort of migration processing.


    Our Citizenship Section processes most applications for citizenship descent

    within 5 working days. The Section does not process passport applications

    which must be lodged with the Passport Section of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) at the High Commission.


    The London website at has information in the Visas &

    Citizenship section on forms and application procedures for registration of

    citizenship by descent. Passport application information is available in

    the DFAT section of the website.


    Further information is available at


    What About Fees and Associated Costs?


    The official term is "visa application charge".


    The Partner Migration booklet has a special section to explain costs and

    charges and also refers you to the website for

    determination of the visa application charge in effect when you are making

    your application. There is a currency convertor facility on the website if

    you need it.


    Be aware that charges change from time to time, so you will need to check

    shortly before lodging your application to make sure that you are paying

    the current charge. Charges are generally varied on 1 January and 1 July

    each year. The visa application charge applicable to your application is

    the charge in effect at the time that your application is received in the

    Migration Section of the Australian High Commission in London (that is, the

    relevant time is the time of receipt, not of posting).


    Note also that you are responsible for all costs associated with the making

    of your application including the costs of obtaining medicals, character

    clearances and the like.


    The visa application charge is a processing fee. If your application is

    refused or withdrawn, the fee is not refunded.


    How Can I Pay the Visa Application Charge?


    We accept credit/debit cards only (except for American Express or Diners

    Card). There is a section in the application form for credit card details.


    If we receive your application and you have not paid the current

    application charge, we will attempt to call or email you as soon as

    possible to advise you of the current charge and arrange for you to send in the correct payment. An application is not validly made, and processing

    cannot commence, until the correct payment is received.


    What About Medicals?


    Each applicant, including children, must undergo health checks. Further

    details are in the Partner Migration booklet and the following is a brief

    summary only.


    Each applicant aged 11 years and older will require a medical examination

    and chest x-ray in the first instance.


    Each applicant aged 15 years and older will require a HIV test.


    If the applicant is pregnant, she may choose not to be x-rayed until after

    the birth. This may delay finalisation of the application.


    Medical test results are generally valid for one year.


    Can I do my Medicals in Advance of Application?


    You can, if you so choose, undertake health checks before you lodge your

    application. This will enable you to lodge a complete application, which

    may help to speed up processing of your application. You are responsible

    for the costs and these will not be refunded if your application is



    Where do I Obtain Medical and Radiological Forms?


    The forms you require are a Form 26 (medical) and Form 160 (radiological

    examination). These can be downloaded at in the

    "medical information" section.


    How do I Find out about Panel Doctors for the UK and Republic of Ireland?


    Medical and radiological examinations must be undertaken by an appointed panel doctor or radiologist. For details of your closest panel doctor and radiologist, please see This is the London office website. In the section on Visas & Citizenship, see information on the health requirement. A list of panel doctors is available to be downloaded.


    How are Medicals Returned to Our Office?


    Your panel doctor should be advised that you are applying for a Partner

    visa. Your panel doctor will return completed medicals directly to our

    office c/o Migration Section, Australian High Commission, Strand London

    WC2B 4LA.


    On the front of each form there is a grey box headed "office use only".

    Against "visa class" please write either PARTNER or FIANCE according to the type of application you are making. Against "name of office processing the application" please write LONDON. It is important that you do this so that we have appropriate handling instructions for our mail staff when the medicals are returned to this office.


    What About Character Clearances?


    An applicant must be found to be of good character. Each applicant aged 16 years and over must provide police checks for each country (including

    Australia) in which the applicant has resided during the last 10 years

    where the period of residence was 12 months or longer (in total/cumulatively), and the person was aged 16 years or over at the time

    of residence.


    You must provide originals of your police clearances. We will retain

    these, so you should keep copies if you require.


    Instructions on how to obtain police clearances for most countries are

    contained in Form 47P (Character requirements: penal clearance

    certificates). This must be downloaded from


    How Long does it Take to Get a Character Clearance?


    We recommend that you initiate your request for clearances early. Note

    that it takes around 49 days for clearances to be obtained from the UK

    authorities. You can obtain this, if you choose, in advance of

    application and present the clearance with your application.


    For some countries, clearances can take several months. We are not able to influence or expedite character clearances as these are solely the province of the issuing authorities. Finalisation of your case cannot proceed until your case officer is satisfied that you meet the character requirement.


    Do I send Originals or Copies of my Documents?


    We require originals of character clearances only. You should provide

    certified/notarised copies of key documents such as birth, marriage and

    divorce certificates. In all other cases provide simple photocopies of

    supporting documents such as rental agreements, bank statements, insurance documents and the like.


    Who Can Certify Copies of my Documents?


    For the UK and the Republic of Ireland your documents can be certified by a notary public, commissioner for oaths, police officer, bank manager or



    Who Can Witness a Statutory Declaration?


    As above. A statutory declaration made out in Australia can be witnessed

    by a Justice of the Peace (JP). Statutory Declarations supporting claims

    of a genuine and ongoing marital relationship made out in Australia should

    be provided on Form 888 which can be downloaded from The declarants should provide a copy of evidence of their citizenship or other visa status with the Form 888. Further information is available in the Partner Migration booklet.


    If you are obtaining a statement of support from family and friends in the

    UK or ROI, there is no special format which you must use. You can use the Form 888 although this is intended for persons in Australia. If in the UK or ROI, the declarant can simply make out a statement in their own writing, giving their full name and contact details, and ensuring that the statement is appropriately witnessed by an authorised person such as a notary public or commissioner for oaths.


    I Do Not Know the Details of Previous Visas for Australia


    If you no longer have previous passports, or have otherwise travelled on

    electronic visas and cannot give us visa label or grant numbers, just

    provide approximate dates of your previous visits in Australia as best you

    can. Your case officer is able to ascertain the details of your previous

    travel directly from our own records in the course of processing your

    application. It is not necessary to contact us separately to try to obtain

    this information in advance.


    How Should I Put My Application Together?


    Please do not make complex collations of your application papers. We waste a lot of time (and risk injury to life and limb) deconstructing

    applications which have been extensively stapled or artfully put together

    in complex folders with indexes, dividers and tabs. Do not use plastic

    inserts. Please leave the papers, loosely divided by slide-on paper clips

    if you feel it is absolutely necessary, in a simple stack. Application

    form on the top; sponsorship form next; key personal documents next (birth and marriage certificates etc); formal statutory declarations next; and other supporting documents last.


    Please do not send us video tapes or photograph albums. If you would like to support your claims with photographs, please choose a representative selection and make a photocopy.


    Please do not send us phone cards at all as they can tell us nothing. If

    you wish to send examples of correspondence, please be very selective and send copies only.


    How do I Lodge an Application?


    All applications to be lodged in London must be lodged by post. We do not

    accept applications over the counter.


    We suggest that you send in your applications by some form of secure post. For clients living in the UK we recommend that you use Special Delivery and keep a record of the registration number. You can then track progress through the mail system and date of delivery to us on the Royal Mail website via their Track and Trace facility. Clients in the UK must also include a self-addressed Special Delivery envelope for the return of their passport and other documents - ensure that the envelope size is appropriate to what you expect to have returned to you.


    Clients living in the ROI should also use some form of secure or

    registrable post. We will return documents by Airsure.


    Our postal address is:


    Migration Branch

    Australian High Commission

    Strand London

    WC2B 4LA


    Clients wishing to use couriers should note that items can only be

    delivered to the Migration Branch between the hours of 9-11am weekdays

    (other than public holidays) at the Migration Counter. It is important

    that you inform your courier of this restriction as no items intended for

    this Branch will be accepted elsewhere in the High Commission other than at our counter during our opening hours.


    Will I be Interviewed?


    Most applicants are interviewed. This may occur by telephone or in person.

    The necessity for, and conduct of an interview, is at the discretion of

    your case officer.


    Who Will Process my Application?


    When we first receive your application, it will be allocated to a migration

    officer. You should receive an acknowledgment within about 10 working days

    - please do not approach us before that time. It is our preference to

    communicate with you by email. This makes for faster transfer of documents and speedy exchanges with your case officer. Your case officer will provide you with details of the officer's name, position number, email and phone contacts.


    If you have not heard from your case officer before 10 working days from

    the date on which you believe we will have received your application, you

    can send an email enquiry to providing the

    applicant's full name and date of birth.


    How Long Will it Take?


    Our general response is that the better prepared your application, the

    faster we are able to make a decision. We can and do finalise decisions on the day of receipt - however this is not usual. Few applications come

    fully front-end loaded (including health and character clearances) and it

    is not always possible to anticipate requirements for additional

    information or complexities that are only evident to the case officer after

    an application is received and assessment commences.


    Special Notice for Prospective Marriage (fiance) Applicants: It is a legal

    condition of all Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visas that the holder

    must marry in Australia within 9 months from the date of grant of the visa.

    You should take this into account when calculating the appropriate time to

    lodge your visa application and when fixing the date of your intended

    wedding. This office will commence processing of an application when it is

    lodged and will process at its normal rate to the point of decision and

    visa grant where appropriate. We will not artificially maintain an

    application in abeyance to compensate for early lodgement. If you lodge

    your visa application too early, you will need to consider the real

    likelihood that your wedding date will have to be brought forward.


    Statistically, in June 2005, London took from 3-10 weeks to grant subclass

    309 (Spouse Provisional) and subclass 310 (Interdependency Provisional)

    visas; and from 4-12 weeks to grant subclass 300 (Prospective Marriage -

    fiance) visas.


    If Granted a Visa Must I Enter by a Particular Date?

    (Spouse/Interdependency Visas)


    Your health and police clearances are valid for 12 months from the date of

    grant. In some circumstances you medicals may be valid for a lesser period (for example, if you are subject to a health undertaking requiring you to report to health authorities on arrival in Australia). Whichever of these clearances expires first will determine the "initial entry date" by which you must have entered Australia.


    If you have obtained your health and police clearances so far in advance

    that they expire during processing, or are likely to expire so soon after

    decision that the initial entry date would not be viable, it is open to

    your case officer to require you to obtain new health and police

    clearances. Your case officer will determine the best course of action

    during processing.


    Prospective Marriage (fiance) visas - some specific information


    If you decide to lodge an application for a Prospective Marriage (fiance)

    visa (subclass 300), you will need to provide evidence of your intention to

    marry. This will be in the form of written confirmation by an authorised

    Australian Marriage Celebrant confirming the details of your planned

    wedding in Australia. This confirmation must be provided on the

    Celebrant’s official letterhead and confirm the following details:


    · parties to be married;

    · date and venue of marriage;

    · Celebrant’s official registration number and address.


    If your Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa is granted, you must marry

    within 9 months from the date of grant of the visa.


    My Situation is Complex - Who Can Assist?


    We cannot provide individual pre-application counselling. If you have read

    the Partner Migration booklet and associated information thoroughly and

    feel that you still require expert assistance, you may wish to consider

    using a migration agent. You are not required to use a migration agent,

    however if you intend to use one, you are advised to use a registered

    migration agent. Information about registered migration agents (registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority or MARA) is available at



    Yours sincerely


    First Enquiries

    Migration Branch

    Australian High Commission


    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites


    Guest amazingnewlifeahead

    fantasitc info thanks!!!!

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest crudshed

    Thanks so much for sharing this info, there were a lot of little grey areas it helped to clear up especially regarding the format of application pack and advance medicals/acro checks.. cheers!

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thanks for sharing this info with us, we are still in the early stages, but I am sure I will be referring to it in the near future.


    Thanks again.





    27.01.08 Made decision to move to oz, 10.04.08 Appointed Agent, 27.11.08 ACS application sent, 28.02.09 Passed ACS, 11.03.09 Visa applied for - 175/CSL-IT, 27.08.09 Case Officer, 25.09.09 - VISA APPROVED, YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest The Hoys hoping.........

    Brilliant post!


    Thank you very much. Answered loads of my questions..........and saved me a fortune, was going to ring the high commission tomorrow (cost me £1 per minute last time.........on phone for 7 minutes!)




    Donna xx

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Please note the date of the original posting ...


    Best regards.

    Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas, - Principal, GM Tax,

    Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534, Chartered Accountant (England & Wales, and Australia), and Registered Tax Agent (Australia)

    T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

    E -

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest The Hoys hoping.........
    Please note the date of the original posting ...


    Best regards.



    Good point Alan......I hadn't noticed that!


    Kind Regards,



    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    And in any case, that information can be found on the London High Commission website - here

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi Alan, do you reckon that there are things in the post that are no longer true?


    Cheers Tina

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest stephanierac


    i was wondering do you know the how we apply for the spouse 820 visa once we have got married in australia? our medicals and police checks were sent to the australian embassy in london. We were granted our prospective marriage visa on 1st july 2009- and are due to go to perth in 2 weeks. As i don't want to have to re do the medicals and police checks- they are valid until april 2010- how do we get them returned to either us or do australian immigration in perth request them from london? any help would be appreciated as we leave the UK in 2 weeks and it'll be harder to request them to be returned.



    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Will be in a similar situation soon aswell so will also be glad to read responses for this question :)

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest stephanierac


    i have seemed to answer my own question that i posted a couple of days ago! i called the australian embassy in london( its costs a fortune £1 a min!) and according to the guy who answered the phone the medical and police checks are all logged on a computer that australian immigration have access to in australia and therefore as long as you apply before they expire and they can grant the visa before they expire, you don't need to send the originals in or re do them. hope this makes sense.

    Share this post

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Similar Content

      • By Anna9879
        Hi Guys,
        I have a PGCEI, from the University of Sunderland, which was basically the same as a regular a PGCE course but the  12 week teaching practice was not done in UK, hence was not given QTS.
        I'm considering migrating to Australia and was wondering whether, PGCEI is recognised by AITSL? even though it doesn't have QTS status, its contend is the same and has more than 45 days of supervised teaching.
      • By Rbuk17
        Has anyone flow to New Zealand after their first year on a working holiday and come back to Oz on a tourist visa? If so how easy is it to do so/ are they strict on letting you back in? My WHV ends at the end of November but my mum and dad are coming for Christmas and new year to visit family so obviously want to be here with them for that.
        1. Can I book return flights from SYD to NZ? Will I get pulled up for not having a valid visa for oz when I enter nz? Obviously I'm applying for that when I get there. 
        2. Do I need to get a visitor visa for nz or not? I'm a UK citizen so says online I qualify for visa waiver but other sources say I need a visa for nz if I'm going there to renew a visa for another country? 
        Thanks in advance.
      • By Coupleinoz
        Irish and English couple, aged 33 and 29. Living in Melbourne for 4 years, we both met out here 3 years ago. Recently applied and granted permanent residency.    Our plan was to stay for another 2 years to get citizenship and then move back home to get married and start a family. We would then have the flexibility to move back to Australia in our late 30's / early 40's (e.g. when the children are ready for school).    The complication for us is the recent change from 2 years to 4 years to apply for citizenship. It makes decisions about where and when to get married, buy a house and start a family a lot harder.    We are also struggling with getting good, unbiased advice (for example; family want us back home, friends in Australia want us to stay etc). A lot of peoples point of view doesn't go deeper than the immediate, emotional layer and we need to try and move beyond this.    We would like some thoughts on two options we are currently working through:   1. Move back to UK or Ireland within the next few months, with the plan to return within the 5 yr return visa allowed with permanent residency. During our time at home we would likely buy a house and get married (maybe have a child or wait until we get back to Australia - tbc!). On return, we would be settling in Australia and get our citizenship this route. We like this option as our preference is to spend our 30's back with close friends and family. There is obviously a risk with this option that we would not return (and most of our friends believe we won't).   2. We stay for the 4 years and get our citizenship (at this stage we would be 38 and 34). After we get our passport we would likely head back to UK / Ireland for a number of years. During the 4 years, we would want to get married, put our savings down (e.g. buy a house or shares) and maybe even have a child. We would likely organise the wedding from Australia but go back to get married in the UK. On the plus side, we are here now and we will get to citizenship quicker. On the downside, we won't be able to spend these important years with friends and family.    Overall, we only know life as a couple living in Australia (as we met here). So although we love it, we don't know what a life would be like living back in UK or Ireland. Add in buying a house, getting married and starting a family during this time - and the decision gets more complex!   Thoughts?! What else should we be thinking about to help our decision? 
      • By Danielle lewsey
        Hi guys. Can anyone help explain a bit about the new skilled migration visas. I know there is a medium to long term skilled occupation list(up to 4 year visa) and a short term skilled occupation list (up to two year visa). If your occupation is on the short term list, after the 2 years that you are given do you HAVE to leave the country? As I know you can no longer apply for PR after this visa. What other options are there after your 2 years on this visa are up?