End of free NHS care for non resident Brits

Home and Happy

7 hours ago, boo-yaa said:

Interested on your thoughts on my situation - with regards to this.

Myself and my wife have been living in Oz for 4 years. She recently became pregnant and we both have decided to move back to the UK to have the baby and settle.

She is very close to her family and we have decided we want to return to the UK permanently. Its been a tough decision but we dont want to bring up our baby without our family around. There would be no plan to move back to OZ when the baby is born.

When we move back, we will be living with her parents until I can find myself a job. At that point we will look to Rent for a short time or buy a house.

My thoughts on this is that as we are moving back to the UK to be residents then we would be entitled to full NHS care. Is this the correct assumption to make?

If you have quit your jobs in Australia, returned on a one way ticket, and your stuff is on the way, I struggle to see how anyone would want or be able to argue your status as returning residents.  I would perhaps keep copies of resignation letters saying you are moving back to the UK, air tickets etc just in case, but i doubt once you register for a GP anyone will ask.

14 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

If you have quit your jobs in Australia, returned on a one way ticket, and your stuff is on the way, I struggle to see how anyone would want or be able to argue your status as returning residents.  I would perhaps keep copies of resignation letters saying you are moving back to the UK, air tickets etc just in case, but i doubt once you register for a GP anyone will ask.

Thanks mate that's great advice. Will take copy's of resignation letters, closed Oz accounts & our one way flight 👍

On 22/05/2019 at 11:27, starlight7 said:

About time the British stopped freezing the pensions of expats whilst we are at it.  Shameful.

Well that doesn’t bother me, I am happily spending my retirement right here in UK, it ticks all the boxes for me.  

We've paid enough for our state pensions now, but I would advise anyone out there also keep paying your NI too while you are away in case you want to return someday.

State pension is due to go up again.  

Just now I think it’s £169 per week per person ie roughly £1352 per month for a couple. Plus your winter fuel payment, free bus travel everywhere, and other OAP concessions as well as your NHS healthcare. 

If you have your company pension too on top of your state pension, that’s not too shabby a retirement for you in U.K.

Edited by Home and Happy
Typo