TSS short term or 489 - your advice needed

lewisant48

Hi guys. I've posted here a few times before explaining our situation so hopefully those in the know may have seen my posts!

Basically we are in England, not even applied yet but very close to starting the process and my gf/wife by August has been in touch with vets in Adelaide/SA who can offer sponsorship through the TSS visa. She is a vet nurse (29) and i'm a care home manager (33).

Vet nurse is currently on the short term list so we can only get a temporary 2 year visa if we go down the TSS route.

Advice needed - While on the TSS visa, are we allowed to apply for a longer term visa such as a 489? Or are we just a bit better off going through the rigmarole of the 489 now and paying for the skills assessment etc as she has more than enough points. Then when we're in Aus our only major visa worry will be the 887 after 2 years to apply for PR.

Thanks!

PS - my job is on the medium list but i don't have enough points so TSS through me is our other option as that could be a 4 year visa which i believe can be transformed to something more long term after 2 years? Yes? No?

If you go down the TSS route it is important you understand the issues and that you treat it for what it is. A temp visa which will expire in two years and at the end of which you will be returning to the UK. Even if you are applying for another visa, you must assume that until you have the visa in your hand as rules change and occupations change and are removed regularly - over 200 were removed last year and there are likely to be big changes to the system this year.

On the other hand, there is no guarantee you will get SA sponsorship 489 as vet nurse is flagged by South Australia as an occupation with limited number of sponsorships available.

The TSS visa has a pathway to permanent residency through the 186 or 187 visa categories for occupations on the MLTSSL after 3 years working with the same employer (it was 2 years for the 457 Temporary Residence Transition stream but this is changing on 1 March with the new TSS visa category). Your partner would be able to apply for a 489 visa while holding a TSS visa as long as the occupation remains eligible.

Thanks for your replies guys, very helpful.

Lisa - when you’re on a TSS from a job of the short term list rather than medium and it reaches the end of its two years, can you apply for a further two years should the occupation still be on the list? At which point when you get to the third year can you apply for a 186/187? Or is that pathway just for medium term lists?

To me it looks like it’ll be good to get over on a TSS, treat it as tempoarary but then apply for a 489 as soon as we can. 

If im over their names on her visa but find sponsorship on my occupation (which is on the medium list) can I go through that and name her is we may then get four years and will be able to use the 186/187 pathways.

thanks

On 08/02/2018 at 02:32, Lisa De Leon said:

The TSS visa has a pathway to permanent residency through the 186 or 187 visa categories for occupations on the MLTSSL after 3 years working with the same employer (it was 2 years for the 457 Temporary Residence Transition stream but this is changing on 1 March with the new TSS visa category). Your partner would be able to apply for a 489 visa while holding a TSS visa as long as the occupation remains eligible.

1 hour ago, lewisant48 said:

Thanks for the advice appreciate that. I guess that means a job from the short term stream can't be sponsored to stay in Australia unless it's promoted to the MLTSSL. Plenty to think about as we look to apply!

Correct and I would say the chances of vet nurse going onto the long term list as zero, if it moves in any direction it is likely to be removed entirely. 

28 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Correct and I would say the chances of vet nurse going onto the long term list as zero, if it moves in any direction it is likely to be removed entirely. 

Well today it has been moved to the supplementary list for SA so that's a kick in the teeth but it is what it is! Looks like sponsorship through my work (Welfare Centre Manager) is now our better option. Or gf getting a job as a vet nurse TSS then 12 months experience before being able to apply on 489 in SA (as that's one of the special conditions apply things) but like you say, if that comes off the list then that plan is scuppered! 

Best to look at this as a 2 year adventure and if we find something permanent then great and if we don't then we'll just enjoy it while we're there.

It's a constantly changing thing so i'm not going to get too emotional as things can change for better or worse between now and the end of this process.