UK Passports expiry dates

aurora

Hoping to move over to Australia at some point this year, initially with the aim of staying at least long enough to secure citizenship, if not longer/forever. I have just checked our passports and child one expires Jan 2019 so will get new one sorted now. Two adult passports expire 2021 and 2024 - is it worth renewing both of these as well, or just the one that expires 2021?

While we are PR but not citizens I guess we continue to travel on UK passport?

Not sure where to post this so please move if in wrong place. 

5 hours ago, aurora said:

While we are PR but not citizens I guess we continue to travel on UK passport?

Yes you continue to travel on your UK passport.   In fact, you'll find your UK passport continues to be useful even after you're citizens.   On holidays, I always leave Australia on my Australian passport and enter the UK (and the rest of Europe) on my British one.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes you continue to travel on your UK passport.   In fact, you'll find your UK passport continues to be useful even after you're citizens.   On holidays, I always leave Australia on my Australian passport and enter the UK (and the rest of Europe) on my British one.

My own British passport expires in November 2020 by which time I hope to be an Australian citizen eligible for an Aussie passport.  Personally I am reluctant to splash the cash on a little booklet that will largely be gathering dust for 10 years.  My wife and daughter currently have both passports.  My daughter’s uk passport was only for 5 years and expires in July 2019. My wife’s uk passport is valid up to 2024.

We have no plans in the forseeable future to travel to Europe though I am sure we will all make a trip some day.  My personal priority is to tour New Zealand and Australia followed by countries in east Asia such as Japan, China and Vietnam if finances permit.  But is it really worth spending hundreds of pounds renewing these UK passports every decade and at what point do you feel it provides value for money?  Annual UK visits perhaps?  And what are the advantages?

Genuine question throwing it out there.

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The only thing I would say is that if you let it expire, it's an absolute pain in the proverbial to get it renewed again.   You need to get declarations filled in etc.  

This must depend on how long it is since they expired as my kids UK passports had both expired several months previously when we renewed them last year and we didn't have to do anything we wouldn't have had to do anyway.

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The only thing I would say is that if you let it expire, it's an absolute pain in the proverbial to get it renewed again.   You need to get declarations filled in etc.  

That’s fair enough but, for me, there would need to be some significant advantage in having a UK passport rather than just an Australian one when visiting Europe as a tourist.

Presumably it obviates the need to obtain a tourist visa however I imagine they are easy to get and inexpensive (or free) as the UK does not want to scare tourists away.  A few minutes saved at passport control would be neither here nor there for me too.

If I am missing out some significant benefit in having a UK passport alongside an Aussie one I would welcome enlightenment as this will inform our decisions next year on my daughter’s renewal and the year after for mine.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but the answer may be of interest to the OP in the future.  Not just addressed to you either, Marissa.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

I would never let my UK passport lapse but that's a personal thing for me - it once expired without me realising and I felt quite anxious until it was renewed. I guess it's just a safety net in case I needed to return to the UK for some reason.

I have always had a valid uk passport ( not that its a big deal if it did lapse ) , I know that at some point I will be using it and for the cost of it spread over 10 yrs it's no big deal.

4 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

That’s fair enough but, for me, there would need to be some significant advantage in having a UK passport rather than just an Australian one when visiting Europe as a tourist.

Presumably it obviates the need to obtain a tourist visa however I imagine they are easy to get and inexpensive (or free) as the UK does not want to scare tourists away.  A few minutes saved at passport control would be neither here nor there for me too.

If I am missing out some significant benefit in having a UK passport alongside an Aussie one I would welcome enlightenment as this will inform our decisions next year on my daughter’s renewal and the year after for mine.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but the answer may be of interest to the OP in the future.  Not just addressed to you either, Marissa.

Entering on an oz passport you get 6 months as a tourist without needing a visa.

Advantages of the UK passport include - as already stated - its much easier to renew than to get one from scratch, you never know when/if you may decide to go home and proving you are British is a lot easier with a British passport, also if you were ever in a third country, caught up in any trouble or an emergency like a bombing, terrorist attack etc, its prove you are British and can seek help from the British embassy. 

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1