457 Query - When can I go to Aus?

Newbie here,

I've looked through the search history, and can't quite find the answer to my question. 

I have had a verbal offer from my current employer to move to our offices in Melbourne. Their HR department is saying that 457 visa is the best way forward. My understanding is there is a long lead time for this visa. My employer wants me to move over and begin working ASAP. 

What are my options here? 

I've read lots about bridging visas, but you seem to need to be in Aus to apply for these. 

Any help would be great. (for clarity: I am currently living and working in the UK) 

Thanks

Are you eligible for a working holiday visa? I’m sure others will jump in on if that’s doable. I moved over before with a 4 months contract and a W H visa. That was a while back.

I’m currently dancing the HR tango, back and forth on details, delaying my 457 application. They need references before doing a contract, and they keep forgetting time zones and wondering why references aren’t answering the phone at 6am!

They are confident for an expedited application (they are accredited and process quite a lot of them), otherwise they’ll need to make a plan for me to work remotely from UK employed in UK temporarily. Never easy!

1 hour ago, Jd295 said:

Are you eligible for a working holiday visa? I’m sure others will jump in on if that’s doable. I moved over before with a 4 months contract and a W H visa. That was a while back.

I’m currently dancing the HR tango, back and forth on details, delaying my 457 application. They need references before doing a contract, and they keep forgetting time zones and wondering why references aren’t answering the phone at 6am!

They are confident for an expedited application (they are accredited and process quite a lot of them), otherwise they’ll need to make a plan for me to work remotely from UK employed in UK temporarily. Never easy!

Unfortunately, I don’t think the working holiday visa is applicable to me. I used that visa for 6 months back in 2009 

1 hour ago, DorsettoMelbourne said:

Unfortunately, I don’t think the working holiday visa is applicable to me. I used that visa for 6 months back in 2009 

No, the WHV is out for you then. 

You cannot apply for a bridging visa- they exist for when a person arrives n one visa and applies for another - they provide a bridge to the new visa once the old one expires.

You will need to get a 457 before you arrive

5 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

No, the WHV is out for you then. 

You cannot apply for a bridging visa- they exist for when a person arrives n one visa and applies for another - they provide a bridge to the new visa once the old one expires.

You will need to get a 457 before you arrive

So, does this mean a long wait? 

I cant enter on one visa and bridge to a 457? 

2 hours ago, DorsettoMelbourne said:

Are they an accredited sponsor who process a lot of 457s? Ask HR to speak to their agent to get a projected timeline from them. They’ll know the companies standing.

8 hours ago, DorsettoMelbourne said:

Probably a long wait unless they are approved for fast track and your position qualifies. No, you cant bridge to the 457. Well, you could, but you would only be able to enter on a tourist visa and the bridging visa would come with the same rights as the tourist visa - no work rights

Thanks for the heads up. I will Check with my employer. I see that the wait times are drastically reduced if they are...

Here’s to hoping. After a month of messing around, HR are writing my contract and I hope to start application on Friday! With my notice period, I aim to move over Easter. I’m told this is doable by my company, saying they usually get them in 2-3 weeks.