Uni fees for returning residents

PatrickA

We have been in Australia for 11 years and are planning to go back to UK in Nov 2018 after my daughter finishes year 12.

I have really set my mind up on the move…until I read that you have to be in the country for 3 years to qualify for home university fees.

My daughter will be starting uni next year. My son finishes year 9 this year, so if we went back to the UK he would be able to pay home fees in 3 years time.

Has anyone been in a similar situation. Is the fess dependent on each uni? 

This has put our hopes down:-(

9 minutes ago, PatrickA said:

We have been in Australia for 11 years and are planning to go back to UK in Nov 2018 after my daughter finishes year 12.

I have really set my mind up on the move…until I read that you have to be in the country for 3 years to qualify for home university fees.

My daughter will be starting uni next year. My son finishes year 9 this year, so if we went back to the UK he would be able to pay home fees in 3 years time.

You could look into sending your daughter to uni in Europe possibly. Not sure of the rules. Do the rules also apply in Scotland?

If nothing else, the exchange rate is in your favour. It may not be in another three years.

Edited by newjez

I’ve read on here in the past that some universities are a little more flexible with the rules, so it may be worth getting in touch with some that she may be interested in to find out. I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much though, sadly  - your daughter will apply through UCAS and will need to give all her education, exam result and residency history and I’m pretty certain they’ll classify her as an international student. I remember my daughters having to tell them how long they’d been resident in the UK for the Student Finance application.

Have a look at these websites to see if there’s any information that might help..

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/filling-your-ucas-undergraduate-application

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/About-UKCISA/What-we-do#layer-6392

Your daughter could also have a look at the Student Room forum/website to see if she any find ways around the rules from others who’ve managed it!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/

1 hour ago, PatrickA said:

Hi, I think you can plead your case with the Uni. A friend of mine got home fees straight away. Had to show continued ties to the UK, she had a house still there and also that they moved for her then husband’s work and when the marriage ended The Hague Convention meant they couldn’t return to the UK. Extreme reasons I know but it shows they have discretion.

I was looking at post grad type courses and when I contacted the Uni they said they would consider home fees. Haven’t pursued it as it’s just easier for my son to stay here and do it, but again they weren’t a flat out “no”. 

Email potential Uni course contacts and ask. 

Just to add, both of my scenarios were health related courses which might have had some impact, don’t know for sure.