Working Holiday 417 - Evidence of return ticket?

Brucolino

Hello again,

I have a follow up question in relation to my earlier post. My partner and I are currently looking at one-way flight tickets. As a reminder, I am on a skilled 189 visa and he has a working holiday visa 417 which he hasn't activated yet. I have already entered Australia on my visa and was not asked any questions, I'm assuming due to my permanent residency status.

With my partner being confined within the 12 month period of the working holiday visa, is he likely to get asked questions as to why he hasn't booked a return flight yet? Would he need to prove he has funds in his account to cover a return flight? I figured that at least some travellers on this visa leave the option open as many end up applying for the 12 month extension that is offered. Or perhaps many just book the flight back at a later date?

Would this be deemed suspicious/problematic in some way?

Thank you everyone

I think he has to prove (if stopped) that he has sufficient funds to live on and if a one way ticket to get home.  Being on a one way ticket - may mean that they stop him and ask for proof.  Usually about $5,000 is proof for living expenses - he may need to show more funds.

He could get an 'open return' ticket which means you book the flight at a later date.

• Thanks 1

What Ali said. 

Proof of funds and/or an open return ticket is always good. 

If you are planning on him staying longer than the 12 months on his WHV he needs to do the 3 months regional work and ensure its properly signed off on etc. And it would be better off he gets it out of the way early on as often people leave it till the end of their 12 months and can't find work or run out of time to complete it. 

9 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Would it not make sense for him to book an open return flight?

The situation is a little bit different because we started the relationship after I'd submit my visa application but have not been together as a 'de facto' couple long enough. The relationship became serious though so we're now trying to work out a way of remaining together on a 'let's see how things progress' basis, making it quite tricky to plan.

Then there is the fact an open return flight only works if you're returning to the same destination. We're flying out from the UK but he is from Sweden. Of course it's not a big deal to find a flight to Sweden from the UK, but it would be much more preferable for him to fly back via a more direct route!

If we decide we both like it and want to stay on we will obviously need to look into partner visa options

Edited by Brucolino
Spelling mistake

7 hours ago, Brucolino said:

The situation is a little bit different because we started the relationship after I'd submit my visa application but have not been together as a 'de facto' couple long enough. The relationship became serious though so we're now trying to work out a way of remaining together on a 'let's see how things progress' basis, making it quite tricky to plan.

Then there is the fact an open return flight only works if you're returning to the same destination. We're flying out from the UK but he is from Sweden. Of course it's not a big deal to find a flight to Sweden from the UK, but it would be much more preferable for him to fly back via a more direct route!

If we decide we both like it and want to stay on we will obviously need to look into partner visa options

So you will be using the WHV visa to clock up your de facto time. 

Keep in mind its a year requirement and he won't have a full year of his WHV done before lodging I can't think. He should be prepared to do the regional work to give you that wiggle room and a bit longer to clock up time together. Also you may both feel that a couple of years in Aus is enough and want to head back and be daft to have applied for a $7,000 partner visa when you would not end up using it. 

Good luck with it all :) Hope you both enjoy wherever it is in Aus you are going. 

11 hours ago, Brucolino said:

Book a flight with the return date as far ahead as possible and make sure that its a flexible ticket that allows a date change.

Not sure if its been mentioned, but onshore partner visas are currently takng up to 3 years for grant. That's a long time on a bridging visa.

11 hours ago, snifter said:

So you will be using the WHV visa to clock up your de facto time. 

Keep in mind its a year requirement and he won't have a full year of his WHV done before lodging I can't think. He should be prepared to do the regional work to give you that wiggle room and a bit longer to clock up time together. Also you may both feel that a couple of years in Aus is enough and want to head back and be daft to have applied for a $7,000 partner visa when you would not end up using it. 

Good luck with it all :) Hope you both enjoy wherever it is in Aus you are going. 

Thank you for your advice and good wishes :) - we are going to Melbourne and both very excited

8 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Book a flight with the return date as far ahead as possible and make sure that its a flexible ticket that allows a date change.

Not sure if its been mentioned, but onshore partner visas are currently takng up to 3 years for grant. That's a long time on a bridging visa.

Gosh - that does sound really long! I think we just need to go out there and give it a go, see how we both like it before making any long term decisions like that

10 hours ago, Brucolino said:

Thank you for your advice and good wishes :) - we are going to Melbourne and both very excited

Melbourne won't have much in terms of regional work if he needs to do it to gain a second year. Be prepared that if you both decide you want to stay longer, he'll have to allow himself plenty of time to go find the regional work and to clock it up (ensure he understands about the hours/days and how it works). Don't leave it to the last 3-4 months as often it can be hard to find the work to clock up the time needed when you are trying to beat the countdown clock as it were. 

As I'm able to come and go for a few years on my visa, if we were to spend 11-12 months in Australia and then both returned to Europe, but still lived together, so gathered all the de facto time & evidence required, would we still be able to apply for a partner visa from outside Australia? With a view of going back out together of course

Edited by Brucolino

You can apply either from within Australia (820/801 visa) or outside (309/100 visa).  If you register your relationship while you're here, it waives the requirement for the de facto relationship to be at least 12 months although you'd want to make sure to still have enough time together to put together a solid application with supporting evidence so best to start planning that evidence sooner rather than later.

• Thanks 1