Spouse visa requirements-has this changed in last 5 years??.

Aussiebird

Hello everyone,

My husband had a spouse visa but it expired this year and we are now back in UK (since May 2014).

We are talking of moving back to australia but just wondered if anyone knows if the requirements are still the same, i know the price has gone up massively too. Im wondering if the process time would be quicker as he has already had one in the past.

I dont think he can get a resident return visa as we have been back too long in UK now for him to qualify, which is a shame.

Many thanks to you all. Xx

1 hour ago, Aussiebird said:

Hello everyone,

My husband had a spouse visa but it expired this year and we are now back in UK (since May 2014).

We are talking of moving back to australia but just wondered if anyone knows if the requirements are still the same, i know the price has gone up massively too. Im wondering if the process time would be quicker as he has already had one in the past.

I dont think he can get a resident return visa as we have been back too long in UK now for him to qualify, which is a shame.

Many thanks to you all. Xx

Might be worth investigating a RRV (assuming he held a PR Spouse Visa rather than just the first stage).

It won't be any quicker just because he has held one in the past.

There have been various minor changes to forms etc - plus sponsor is now often required to produce a police check, character requirements in general are much tougher waiting times onshore are into the 3-4 year bracket, and the prices have increased a lot. 

I would say try for an RRV as you have been absent for less than 5 years you will just need to prove significan ties.  Having an Aussie spouse would be a good start.  Saying you are wishing to return and settle in Australia would also be good.  Have a good look at the requirements for an RRV and try that first.  People have been granted RRVs in much less favourable positions.

• Like 1

If you do have to apply for a new partner visa, be aware you won't get any special treatment in terms of processing times. They are currently something like 10-14 months officially for off shore (on shore is even longer and this will mean say 18 months plus on a bridging visa which could limit his chances of employment, people do seem to report this happening) but if you check the partner visa thread you will see that quite a lot are getting a quicker turnaround time. However this is not a certainty in all cases and should not be expected. Consider it a bonus if it does come through quicker than the official listed processing time. And yes, the requirements have changed somewhat and are likely iirc to change again a bit in July. 

5 hours ago, rammygirl said:

I would say try for an RRV as you have been absent for less than 5 years you will just need to prove significan ties.  Having an Aussie spouse would be a good start.  Saying you are wishing to return and settle in Australia would also be good.  Have a good look at the requirements for an RRV and try that first.  People have been granted RRVs in much less favourable positions.

Thank you for replying. I read the other day the RRV has changed and now is only valid for 1 year instead of 5 if absent from Australia for more than 2 years.

4 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Yes it gives you a year to travel. Once in Australia his PR is still valid and he can stay. If he needs to leave he will need another RRV or citizenship. 

It it is only the travel portion of PR that expires not the PR itself.

I dont think we are travelling to live again in Australia for a few years yet, but i hope it will be sooner.

So if not going for a few years yet, not sure you can really apply for a RRV now if it is they are giving only 1 year on them. If you got 5 it would be great but if you got one, then you'd be a bit stuffed. 

Perhaps check with one of the agents on here as to what your best course of action would be. 

On 31/12/2017 at 10:20, Nemesis said:

Might be worth investigating a RRV (assuming he held a PR Spouse Visa rather than just the first stage).

It won't be any quicker just because he has held one in the past.

There have been various minor changes to forms etc - plus sponsor is now often required to produce a police check, character requirements in general are much tougher waiting times onshore are into the 3-4 year bracket, and the prices have increased a lot. 

Hi, he had a subclass 100 visa.