My 18yr old Son is moving back to Uk

Mschick36

Has anybody else had their child move back home? My Son is heading back on a one way ticket the end of January to live with my parents. Does he fall straight back into everyday life as in College, Bank account, Driving etc or does he have to re register as a resident. I've seen he has to be back for 6months before he can be classed as a resident. 

Edited by Mschick36

2 minutes ago, Mschick36 said:

Has anybody else had their child move back home? My Son is heading back on a one way ticket the end of January to live with my parents. Does he fall straight back into everyday life as in College, Bank account, Driving etc or does he have to re register as a resident. I've seen he has to be back for 6months before he can be classed as a resident. 

Our two then teenage children after a couple of unsettled years here in Aus had a trip back to the uk as working holidays for a year, both came back saying Australia is home.

Best wishes that everything goes well anyway.

Hi I know someone on here said their son moved back and was able to transfer his p plate licence to a uk one which is what my son will be doing when we all go back next year!  As for bank accounts I'm not sure.  Don't forget he will have to get his NI number asap  i think we'll be sorting that out days after getting off plane lol!!!!    

He doesn't need to register or anything as such. 

If he has a UK bank account still, then contact the bank to reactivate it / get a new card. 

He should get himself on the electoral role as soon as he arrives and register with a GP. 

He wont be entitled to any benefits for at least three months, though there aren't many benefits for 18 year olds anyway. 

He would have issues if he wants to study as until he has resided for two years in the uk, he may be treated as an international student. 

• Like 1

I think to get benefits if he intends or needs to claim any at first he might have to go through the residency tests -he has the right of abode if he is still a British Citizen and has his British passport 

The residency test could have changed over time so check the criteria -we had to go through it in 2001 to try to claim a rates rebate 

You will need to look at the possibility of college as whilst free up to the mandatory education age which is now 18, it isn't free beyond that. Even a uk citizen that has resided continuously in the uk will usually have to pay to go to college as an adult. I think your son will be seen as an international student, that is something you will need to investigate. 

23 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

You will need to look at the possibility of college as whilst free up to the mandatory education age which is now 18, it isn't free beyond that. Even a uk citizen that has resided continuously in the uk will usually have to pay to go to college as an adult. I think your son will be seen as an international student, that is something you will need to investigate. 

There are Government grants and bursaries available for adult students. 

Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping he could just attend college. Didn't know he was going to be classed as an international student.  I will give them a call in the new year and see what has to be done. He doesn't have his P plates, so I guess he will just start from scratch. Yes, my Mums going to sort out the GP and electoral roll. So much to think about. Shame you can't just move back without having to start again. He has dual citizenship and his UK passport. No bank account as he was only 12 when we left. Omg way too much to think about 

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

There are Government grants and bursaries available for adult students. 

There is, subject to household income, certainly not feee to everyone and I'd be surprised if free to 'international students' 

Edited by Tulip1

14 hours ago, Keith and Linda said:

Our two then teenage children after a couple of unsettled years here in Aus had a trip back to the uk as working holidays for a year, both came back saying Australia is home.

Best wishes that everything goes well anyway.

Cheap rent and mom does their cooking washing and ironing....no wonder they returned...xD

2 hours ago, Keith and Linda said:

PB it's not often you are right but on this occasion you are wrong again! Well done in  helping the original poster too!

why would young people return to OZ after living in the UK???  not being controversial but any young person wanting to return to OZ after living in the UK in my book id either a librarian or someone who loves his home life with his parents.

18 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

why would young people return to OZ after living in the UK???  not being controversial but any young person wanting to return to OZ after living in the UK in my book id either a librarian or someone who loves his home life with his parents.

PB, lets not derail this thread please. Help the OP perhaps and answer some of their questions. 

:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, snifter said:

PB, lets not derail this thread please. Help the OP perhaps and answer some of their questions. 

:ph34r:

to be honest it was a rely to this post that was also not really helpful.

Our two then teenage children after a couple of unsettled years here in Aus had a trip back to the uk as working holidays for a year, both came back saying Australia is home

23 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

To the OP my two teenage children realized that Australia was more to their liking, also they were ages 17 & 19 when we emigrated to Aus so really did know what life was about (as working teenagers), when they went back to the UK for a year or so they could make  mature and responsible comparisons and decisions of where they wanted to be...........Australia won by a long chalk.

I suppose it does depend where one lives in both countries.

PS. we left a son over in the uk and we now have grand children there too, this plays with Linda's emotions, but we do get to go over quite often, with future retirement giving us more time on each side of the planet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snifter said:

Save it please PB. Move on, don’t derail.

:) 

The decisions made by teenage children may not be permanent, and just passing on our own experience to show such. It can be emotionally hard sometimes but we do have to let them work things out for themselves, but have to let them know that we as parents besides loving them, we encourage and back them and will be here for them always.

• Like 2