Are you permitted to travel abroad during citizenship applications ?

CTM5198

Hello :) so I've recently lodged a citizenship application and one of the pages required me to fill out any possible future travel, with exact dates (which I assumed was for emergency/urgent travel that was deemed absolutely necessary). I've heard rumours of how "you're not allowed to leave Australia in the timeframe between your application lodgement and the response date (AKA the date when they organise the test)". I wanted to know if this was true? - The Department of Immigration site isn't too clear and only stipulates that you can't travel before your ceremony, as your PR will be cancelled thus requiring you to return to Aus on a RRV (correct me if I'm wrong). It's been over 4 years since I left England, I'm becoming very homesick and 10-14 months is an awfully long time. 

Edited by CTM5198

1 hour ago, CTM5198 said:

Hello :) so I've recently lodged a citizenship application and one of the pages required me to fill out any possible future travel, with exact dates (which I assumed was for emergency/urgent travel that was deemed absolutely necessary). I've heard rumours of how "you're not allowed to leave Australia in the timeframe between your application lodgement and the response date (AKA the date when they organise the test)". I wanted to know if this was true? - The Department of Immigration site isn't too clear and only stipulates that you can't travel before your ceremony, as your PR will be cancelled thus requiring you to return to Aus on a RRV (correct me if I'm wrong). It's been over 4 years since I left England, I'm becoming very homesick and 10-14 months is an awfully long time. 

Your visa is not cancelled until you attend the ceremony. Until then you can travel as normal - with a RRV if necessary

Edited by Nemesis
  • Thanks 1

Wow is the wait really 10 - 14 months now a days? Thats ridiculous.

As the above post says your PR wont be cancelled but if it expires whilst you are out of the country you will not be allowed back in (or at least ,have lots of hassle trying to) unless you have a RRV. When does your PR visa expire ?

Cal x

3 minutes ago, calNgary said:

As the above post says your PR wont be cancelled but if it expires whilst you are out of the country you will not be allowed back in (or at least ,have lots of hassle trying to) unless you have a RRV. When does your PR visa expire ?

Cal x

They're still dealing with the huge backlog caused by the citizenship bill I understand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, calNgary said:

They're still dealing with the huge backlog caused by the citizenship bill I understand.

Yep, was certainly the case. They froze applications from the date of announcement, right through the bill’s scrutiny. They even temporarily dismantled the online application service for citizenship, if my memory serves me right. Normally it would have taken roughly 7 months, I believe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Your visa is not cancelled until you attend the ceremony. Until then you can travel as normal - with a RRV if necessary

Perfect. Guess it’s just a case of notifying immigration of the proposed travel dates that I didn’t put in the application.

27 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

Just checked my VEVO and turns out it expires in July 2019. Which is great meaning I should have nothing to worry about. I was a little confused as to when it’s status is cancelled, but if it’s not until the ceremony then that’s perfect.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2017 at 19:18, Nemesis said:

I thought that your citizenship application will not be granted if you are not in Australia at the time ?