Cats in Australia (wildlife)

Alligator-eyes

9 minutes ago, Alligator-eyes said:

I have been researching cat containment systems today. Does anyone have any experience of the Oscillot systems? They seem like the best one that isn't just like a big cage. 

They are the next best thing, keeps them at least contained in the garden but you need them on every possible escape route of course. 

1 hour ago, Alligator-eyes said:

I have been researching cat containment systems today. Does anyone have any experience of the Oscillot systems? They seem like the best one that isn't just like a big cage. 

I don't keep cats so never used them but have seen them. TBH most Aus fencing is metal panels and poles and so are hard to climb at the best of times. But cats will find a way if there is something near a fence to jump up on to and over. 

Afaik they do work. As has been said, you'd need them all the way round and on any gates. And also to remove any trees or anything a cat could jump up on to and get out over the fence that way. As once they are out, they probably won't be able to get back in. 

Read reviews, watch clips and research and am sure you'll find out more from people who have them. 

• 2 months later...

Our cat was a hunter which was hated by our Australian neighbors who regularly caught her in a cat trap and took her to the pound, costing $100 each time to get her out, she also unfortunately enjoyed snake catching, we tried to keep her in but she was so miserable, last time she was seen was with a snake in her mouth and she never came back, think her hunting got the better of her in the end ?

On 12/9/2017 at 07:41, Parley said:

How come no one cares about the UK wildlife ?

Don't people worry about cats eating native birds in the UK ?

There are loads of cats in Melbourne. Mine go out all the time and never have a problem.

Cats are intelligent. I don't think they will kill anything like a cane toad or anything that will hurt them.

Well if they're allowed to roam, I wouldn't be crying if something did hurt them.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 08:18, Parley said:

and cats won't go after a magpie anyway.

Bollox. I had a couple of magpies visit daily for two years that actually came under the pergola and sat on the chair alongside me...........a bit of the dog food and they were quite happy. They even brought their offspring last year, and then one day, the next door neighbour's cat cleared the gap between our houses, roof to roof, and managed to get from their roof to ours to kill the offspring. The noise was horrendous and the parents put up a fight but in the end, the cat saw both of them off and killed the little one. I had a bird table at that time and had as many as 50 lorrikeets and galahs visit every morning and evening.  I had to take the table down rather than risk them being harmed. Thank feck it was a rental and the feckers have done a moonlight flit now..........3 dogs and 2 cats and the stench from their yard was unbelievable...............but I digress................no way is a cat frightened of a magpie

• Sad 1

I hate cats.

That whamp whamp whamp sound when they stick to your tyres drives me crazy.

Takes ages till they come free.

Fortunately most people in Australia have the sense to contain them. Sadly in the UK they tend to run across the road just as you drive by.

(I have never actually run over a cat, but I hate the way irresponsible owners let them kill wildlife)

Edited by newjez

4 hours ago, sharon h said:

Our cat was a hunter which was hated by our Australian neighbors who regularly caught her in a cat trap and took her to the pound, costing $100 each time to get her out, she also unfortunately enjoyed snake catching, we tried to keep her in but she was so miserable, last time she was seen was with a snake in her mouth and she never came back, think her hunting got the better of her in the end ?

Well that's a good result for the wildlife ultimately, just a shame for everything else it killed before that. Your neighbour had the right idea. I have no issue at all with responsible cat owners. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Never underestimate the will of a feral moggy...I shot one 100 km from the nearest dwelling, Wallal Downs, in the Great Sandy Desert.

A bell on a cat's collar works wonders, preferably a cow bell. Hate them moggies..:mad:

Cheers, Bobj.

neighbours had bell on their cats neck but it wasnt long before it could walk without it ringing. it was killing so much wildlife but then it disappeared. Pretty sure one of the other neighbours sent it to cat heaven.

• Like 1