Peng

How hard is it to migrate to Australia? I'm an 18 year old that in 3 years is planning to move to Australia. June of 2016 I spent 14 days there and fell in love with the country. I'm currently getting my associates in IT at a technical college which should help. Open to recommendations as to what I should do to make it a better and easier experience. Working holiday visa for a few years, waiting a few years, etc... let me know!

Degrees are important to an Australian cv so I suggest you get to University and get at least a Bachelors or preferably a Masters. It’s not easy to migrate and generally you will require high level skills with qualifications or considerable experience in your field of expertise. Remember, too, that occupation profiles change over time and what might be on the list this year might not be in a couple of years time especially if local talent develops to fill occupation gaps. 

It’s a much better plan to choose an occupation that you are going to love doing for years rather than aim for something which might or might not get you a visa down the track. You never know where opportunities are going to crop up for you so don’t put everything on hold just because you think at the moment you might like Australia. There’s a big world out there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peng said:

How hard is it to migrate to Australia? I'm an 18 year old that in 3 years is planning to move to Australia. June of 2016 I spent 14 days there and fell in love with the country. I'm currently getting my associates in IT at a technical college which should help. Open to recommendations as to what I should do to make it a better and easier experience. Working holiday visa for a few years, waiting a few years, etc... let me know!

Be adaptable... but more than anything having fun and enjoy life. Also look into the rules of a WHV closely and the working options required if you think you may want a second WHV.

Cal x

• Like 1

Mentally it can be tough. Leaving family and friends. Leaving your familiar surroundings. "Starting again" for many. Not to mention a huge outlay in money to actually get here. Don't get me wrong, it can be amazing. We're thriving and so glad we made the move on so many levels. It's a better lifestyle for us here. To answer your question it can be hard - it's not a little thing to do by any means. Live your life as you're deciding what to do. All the best!