Claiming Tax at the Airport

Irish83

Make sure you leave enough time at the airport, the queue can be very long. Last time I downloaded the Tourist Refund Scheme app on my phone and entered all the details and got the QR code and it was so much quicker than waiting for than a plane load of people trying to get refunds on their stock of iPhones.

15 hours ago, Quoll said:

Make sure you leave enough time at the airport, the queue can be very long. Last time I downloaded the Tourist Refund Scheme app on my phone and entered all the details and got the QR code and it was so much quicker than waiting for than a plane load of people trying to get refunds on their stock of iPhones.

Thanks for this. As im not a tourist can i still do this? will they ask questions? 

24 minutes ago, Irish83 said:

Thanks for this. As im not a tourist can i still do this? will they ask questions? 

If you read the info on the link above (and the links from it) it says you can still claim back the GST as a resident going on holiday.  The only thing you have to watch for is you are only allowed to bring back a certain value of goods ($900 for each person over 18 and $450 for each child).  I don't know if they flag people for extra checking on return but I'm not taking the chance and only claiming GST back on the total value of goods I can bring back in to the country.  In your case it won't matter as the goods are a gift and you won't be returning with them.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NicF said:

If you read the info on the link above (and the links from it) it says you can still claim back the GST as a resident going on holiday.  The only thing you have to watch for is you are only allowed to bring back a certain value of goods ($900 for each person over 18 and $450 for each child).  I don't know if they flag people for extra checking on return but I'm not taking the chance and only claiming GST back on the total value of goods I can bring back in to the country.  In your case it won't matter as the goods are a gift and you won't be returning with them.

Thanks NicF

The reason i ask its because its a phone for my bro. exchange rate and no gst makes it cheaper than home. because its something that could be perceived as being able to bring back, are they likely to check when i come back in after my hol?

9 minutes ago, Irish83 said:

Thanks NicF

The reason i ask its because its a phone for my bro. exchange rate and no gst makes it cheaper than home. because its something that could be perceived as being able to bring back, are they likely to check when i come back in after my hol?

I don't know.  The items we are taking with us we will be bringing back so I'm only claiming GST on the value of goods we are allowed to bring back just in case.  

5 minutes ago, NicF said:

I don't know.  The items we are taking with us we will be bringing back so I'm only claiming GST on the value of goods we are allowed to bring back just in case.  

No worries, i will decide closer to the time if its worth the hassle or not. 

thanks 

I bought a new laptop here in Brisbane, claimed the tax back at the airport on the way out, and then just brought it back on return no questions asked or given. the only thing they  did mention when claiming the tax back was that the box was opened my answer was I had to check everything was there and it worked. So I would suggest that keep everything in original packaging unopened if possible, it goes without saying the receipt too. Also it has to be a recent purchase though not sure of the exact time frames.

I have also done a tax back thing at Sydney airport and they just gave a quick glance at the receipt and the item.

PS. I dumped the packaging at the airport once I got the tax back and before getting on the plane.