Emirates Skywards loyalty scheme- is it worth it?

Ruth7862

We fly to Australia once every two years currently. We fly from Birmingham to Sydney and return from Melbourne to Birmingham. We book through a travel agent. On previous occasions I haven't been able to sort out getting Emirates skywards points added to an account and wondered whether it was worth making the effort to ring Emigrates or go to the travel agents to try and get the points added to our account for our next trip in March 2018. Do the points expire after a certain time and as we only fly every other year would we ever earn enough points to get any benefit? I have looked on the Emirates site and was unable to work it out with any certainty. I wish they would forget the scheme and just make the flights slightly cheaper!!

I've been flying with them since 1993. Recommend it. They are far better quality than others I've flown. It depends when you fly out every other year - 18 months or two years?

I used to fly every two years, and I think the points lasted - you accrue two types - ones that allow you to upgrade, ones that move you to the next level of skywards membership.

One lot does expire after a while (can't remember which ATM- sorry. But the others accrue for a period.

It comes in handy when you start to fly 18 months to a year (which I now do, since 2015). Loving the upgrades and extras .

There are other ways in the UK you can accumulate Emirates points, so it is worth fully researching it. 

Not much use to the OP, but for Australian based, the Qantas tie up means you can fly on Emirates metal (QF/Qantas flight number) and earn points, in addition to points earning through woolies, caltex, credit cards, energy bills, telecom bills etc which all can add up quickly. We've had some amazing holidays through frequent flyer points, although I think we may be shifting out loyalty schemes now that I no longer will be travelling regularly and am no longer able to retain points earned through work travel. 

On 18/11/2017 at 05:27, Ruth7862 said:

We fly to Australia once every two years currently. We fly from Birmingham to Sydney and return from Melbourne to Birmingham. We book through a travel agent. On previous occasions I haven't been able to sort out getting Emirates skywards points added to an account and wondered whether it was worth making the effort to ring Emigrates or go to the travel agents to try and get the points added to our account for our next trip in March 2018. Do the points expire after a certain time and as we only fly every other year would we ever earn enough points to get any benefit? I have looked on the Emirates site and was unable to work it out with any certainty. I wish they would forget the scheme and just make the flights slightly cheaper!!

Your points should be added on by the travel agent if you take your membership number with you when booking am not sure as we have a few frequent flyer cards but i think Emirates dont add the points until you have done the flight -or that could be Singapore Airlines Points do expire though

I am really more interested in whether it is worth perusing because as we only fly once every two years and are unlikely to add points from other sources. Therefore how many points would we be collecting compared to how many points we would need to save to get an upgrade on a portion of the journey? 

I am really more interested in whether it is worth perusing because as we only fly once every two years and are unlikely to add points from other sources. Therefore how many points would we be collecting compared to how many points we would need to save to get an upgrade on a portion of the journey? 

It depends. I got a business class upgrade last year - I'd flown and accrued points the year before - admittedly. It depends on your next journey and how far you plan to go. You may be able to get a partial upgrade or a full one depending on distance you plan to travel. I don't think there is a formula, customers are privy too, but it's also based on your ticket type. Saver, plus etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 01:00, Ruth7862 said:

I wouldn't bother.  You'll probably get better value by choosing the cheapest deal at the time.

We got a bus class upgrade on Emirates once through points collected, but the better value would be in Birmingham attracting more airlines and giving you more options to find deals. I think Qatar have come there in recent years?

Or you could hop on the coach and fly from Manchester and get onto Singapore or somewhere.

https://www.pointhacks.com.au/ will give you good guidance on Emirates.

On 11/18/2017 at 04:57, Ruth7862 said:

Your Skywards Miles are valid for three years from the date of travel.  We were going to lose ours (as wasn't enough for return flights and we weren't headed anywhere at the time) so I exchanged our points for Westfield cards and used them to stock up on bedding when we moved to Australia. Yes this isn't the best method of transfer (it's not 1 for 1 or anywhere near) but it was good to know we had cards to use when we arrived. This was done through the online Emirates high street shop https://www.emirateshighstreet.com/

You can purchase Easyjet and Qantas flights through using skyward points.

As for claiming points, I travelled in July and for some reason the points weren't added to my account so I just claimed them online via the help section online chat. They asked me for ticket numbers and my reference number and immediately added the points. This was done last week.

It's worth clicking the 'remind me' button when logged into skywards as this sends an email when your points are to expire (gives a bit of notice).

Previously to the points I had swapped to Westfield cards, I phoned up and found we had just enough points to upgrade one part of a leg with Emirates. Perth to Dubai we flew economy and then used points to upgrade Dubai to Glasgow (on the same ticket). This meant we had access to the Emirates lounge in Dubai (ahhh showers!) and were awarded a free chauffeur car from Glasgow Airport to our home in Edinburgh as part of the upgrade.

Edited by Guest

So any idea if the one round trip we make would produce enough points for a partial upgrade on a further trip two years later? As they run out after three years this would be the only opportunity to use them. I'm sure we won't collect points in any other way and not motivated enough to spend them in any alternative way!