Battle of Britain Day

simmo

Best not mention what we did to the Poles and Czechs after the war. Bit sad that.

We had something fly over ours the other day - didn't see it but it sounded like a spitfire.

Had a Lancaster bomber fly over our house a couple of years ago at a couple of hundred feet. That was something. Shame I didn't have the camera.

• Like 1

B17 over the house ay 500 agl a fortnight ago on the way to Biggin Hill, and back from Shoreham/Eastbourne,   lovely sight, we're about 10 miles east of LGW so the lower limit for controlled is 1000ft,  the farm we live on is definite  VRP (visual reporting point) for the army squaddies in their chinnoks on the way to/from the training base south of us,  it can't get any better for my 9 year old!!!!!

5 minutes ago, newjez said:

Out of respect maybe you should ask the mods to remove this and start another thread.?

59 minutes ago, simmo said:

Out of respect maybe you should ask the mods to remove this and start another thread.?

It's relevant. It's about the battle of Britain.

Out of respect I think they should let it stay.

Anyway, you started it.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

Elizabeth Mortimer, Elsepth Henderson and Helen Turner were all recognised for their courage in the Battle of Britain

Elizabeth Mortimer, Elsepth Henderson and Helen Turner were all recognised for their courage in the Battle of Britain CREDIT: RAF MUSEUM

Sergeant Joan Mortimer, Flight Officer Elspeth Henderson and Sergeant Helen Turner (pictured here) were all WAAF teleprinter operators who stayed at their posts during the heavy Luftwaffe (German Air Force) attacks on 1 September. Elspeth Henderson continued her work keeping in contact with Fighter Command Headquarters, Uxbridge while the raid was on. She carried on even after she was knocked to the ground as the operations room where she was working took a direct hit. Helen Turner was the switchboard operator and also kept working as the building was hit and bombs fell nearby. It was only when a fire broke out and they were ordered to leave that the two women finally abandoned their posts.

Sergeant Joan Mortimer was in the armoury when the air raid started. Although surrounded by several tons of high explosive, she remained at her telephone switchboard relaying messages to the defence posts around the airfield. Mortimer then picked up a bundle of red flags and hurried out to mark the numerous unexploded bombs scattered around the area. Even when one went off close by, she carried on. For the bravery all three WAAFs displayed in their determination to carry out their duties during such danger, each was awarded a Military Medal in November 1940

Edited by simmo

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 15:42, simmo said:

To all the brave men and women from all over the world that defended Britain .. we salute you!!

Related image

DJw5S0-X0AUHpsX.jpg

I have had the pleasure of having a good look at a spitfire .

I real thing of beauty

whereas the messcersmitt 109 looks functional and mass produced, the spitfire ( and the hurricane ) are a sight to behold , almost bespoke

before anyone tells me there were more hurricanes than spitfires in the battle of Britain ...i already know .

we owe them all such a great debt .

we would probably be under German or Russian control now , if it weren't for the brave few .

• Like 2

Just now, bunbury61 said:

I have had the pleasure of having a good look at a spitfire .

I real thing of beauty

whereas the messcersmitt 109 looks functional and mass produced, the spitfire ( and the hurricane ) are a sight to behold , almost bespoke

before anyone tells me there were more hurricanes than spitfires in the battle of Britain ...i already know .

we owe them all such a great debt .

we would probably be under German or Russian control now , if it weren't for the brave few .

I wonder what they would make of mr juncker and his cronies ?

• Haha 1