UK is second most powerful country in the world

simmo

ukgp

Researchers at European Geostrategy broke global powers down into four categories: Super Power, Global Power, Regional Power and Local Power.

The United States took the top slot as the world’s super power, while Britain took the only Global Power slot, bringing her in second behind America.

Regional powers include France, India and Germany, while local powers were those such as Italy, Brazil, and Turkey.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/study-finds-uk-is-second-most-powerful-country-in-the-world/

• Thanks 1

Hmm.....those in the Army who fought successive wars in the Middle East with substandard equipment and even poorer post war support may have another view on that. Being in the thick of it and all....

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

2 minutes ago, ssiri said:

Hmm.....those in the Army who fought successive wars in the Middle East with substandard equipment and even poorer post war support may have another view on that. Being in the thick of it and all....

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Its a bit more scientific than that.

3 minutes ago, bristolman said:

I have seen it said on here before that the UK is insignificant in the world now, wishful thinking I would say lol. They can't bear to think that this country truly is a major world power. 

it really seems to stick in the craw

5 hours ago, bristolman said:

I have seen it said on here before that the UK is insignificant in the world now, wishful thinking I would say lol. They can't bear to think that this country truly is a major world power. 

Who said that?  There are very few people from the UK I know who think the UK is insignificant.  Once again Bristolman you have to be negative about members who live in Australia on this forum.  Most of us are just quietly getting on with our lives very happy to be in contact with our also happy friends in the UK.  It's not some sort of weird competition you know.   Looking over a few of your posts, they are 90% along the same line.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Toots said:

Who said that?  There are very few people from the UK I know who think the UK is insignificant.  Once again Bristolman you have to be negative about members who live in Australia on this forum.  Most of us are just quietly getting on with our lives very happy to be in contact with our also happy friends in the UK.  It's not some sort of weird competition you know.   Looking over a few of your posts, they are 90% along the same line.  

It's simple, don't read my posts ?

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

It's simple, don't read my posts ?

:ph34r: Its simple, discuss the topic not what other people have supposedly said on here at some point in time. Thanks. 

Its a bit more scientific than that.

I'm sure there is some justification as you point out, but it's not the whole story is it?

Knowing personnel in the army, serving and retired, including majors who campaign for better conditions and PTSD support from within and without, I'd be willing to believe them over a publication from or for the military establishment.

I'm sure there are those in the army who'd disagree, but campaigns and charities for PTSD, war veterans, invictus etc don't come out of thin air....

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

3 hours ago, ssiri said:

I'm sure there is some justification as you point out, but it's not the whole story is it?

Knowing personnel in the army, serving and retired, including majors who campaign for better conditions and PTSD support from within and without, I'd be willing to believe them over a publication from or for the military establishment.

I'm sure there are those in the army who'd disagree, but campaigns and charities for PTSD, war veterans, invictus etc don't come out of thin air....

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

That's a completely different issue

It is great to hear that the UK is so high up. I would have thought that Russia (the sleeping giant) would have been a bit higher, but I am glad we are two. Everyone can see that things will change in time as they say China will be the next biggest superpower, with India coming online when China go offline. Others words, not mine. The good thing with the UK being recognised in this is that it can only be good for the economy and the whole Brexit thing. I know that there is another thread for Brexit, but good press will be good for the country. More and more people should take reports like this and use them to be more upbeat about the UK. Living away for the last 6 years, we can see that the UK is not as bad as what people think or say about it. In our eyes, it is the best place to be. Our son has recently started high school in the UK and he is able to do far more there than he could ever do in Sydney.  We cannot wait to get back for good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2017 at 06:44, simmo said:

I think the issue is to look at the personnel publishing this, they are hardly lecturers at Sandhurst or Pirbright, I mean it is hardly Janes is it.

There is some validity in the points about our number of bases across the world but we are short of men and material. The RAF are flying  a lot of aircraft coming to the end of their lives, they do not have replacements due for anything between 5 and 10 years, the new aircraft carrier will not have british planes flying off it for 2 years. The navy's new class of destroyers have problems with their turbines which it seems need a diesel back up to ensure they have electrical power for their systems like guns and navigation, the 4 nuclear subs have a problem with their reactors, so in rotation one is being taken out of service for rectification works of 12 months duration, this means their will only be 2 available at sea as one is always out of service for general maintenance, the problem with the reactors has been known about for a considerable time but the MOD have prevaricated because of the cost and the fact that it reduced our nuclear capability and looked bad for renewing Trident. The army is short of manpower and a contract with a PRIVATE recruitment agent has failed to recruit the skilled manpower they need, it has however managed to recruit many rootless 16-18 year olds, the army still relies on Nepalese Gurkha regiments who have no colonial ties but are mercenaries selling their extremely valuable services to GB

The fundamental issue is we cannot support or man all these overseas bases, it is yet another example of colonial  over reach which we will have to divest ourselves of sooner or later, we  had to do it with the colonies and because we refused to face up to it in the 40's and 50's we botched it and left the Indian sub continent with an intractable problem of India and Pakistan and left our African Colonies with barely enough educated administrators to run their postal services, let alone a country and we imposed borders that did not recognise ethnic  boundaries.

Look this publication is the opinions of some middle ranking officers and NCO's who still believe this country has the money and will power to keep these fairy tales playing out in the 21st century. 

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

On 11/08/2017 at 03:44, Phil & Vikki said:

It is great to hear that the UK is so high up. I would have thought that Russia (the sleeping giant) would have been a bit higher, but I am glad we are two. Everyone can see that things will change in time as they say China will be the next biggest superpower, with India coming online when China go offline. Others words, not mine. The good thing with the UK being recognised in this is that it can only be good for the economy and the whole Brexit thing. I know that there is another thread for Brexit, but good press will be good for the country. More and more people should take reports like this and use them to be more upbeat about the UK. Living away for the last 6 years, we can see that the UK is not as bad as what people think or say about it. In our eyes, it is the best place to be. Our son has recently started high school in the UK and he is able to do far more there than he could ever do in Sydney.  We cannot wait to get back for good.

Exactly right, there is so much negativity, some just can't help themselves, it is great to hear good positive news. Yes we feel the same about our kids here, there just seems to be so much on offer here and they love it here which is a bonus. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Exactly right, there is so much negativity, some just can't help themselves, it is great to hear good positive news. Yes we feel the same about our kids here, there just seems to be so much on offer here and they love it here which is a bonus. 

Negativity?

It's stating facts which many find difficult to cope with.

• 3 weeks later...