Help understanding health insurance requirements for 457 Visa?!?

Frukoz

Hello there,

I really can't get to grips with the health insurance requirements for 457 visa...

So, I am told I need insurance coverage when applying.

Well, I live in the UK so I have the NHS. When I land in Australia I can sign up to Medicare which is granted on the spot. So why do I need extra insurance?

Do I need travel insurance for my journey from UK to Australia? Do I need MORE than basic medicare access once in Australia - are they saying I need additional private insurance (I was going to get that anyway)? I just don't understand what is required here. I'm covered in both countries but I'm told I need to register for insurance. Very confusing!

Anyway, can someone just explain this to me because it's quite frustrating! Is there a bog standard solution to sorting this all out that is tried and tested across the forum.

Much obliged!

Frukoz

Hey Frukoz,

If you are from the UK, you are entitled to Medicare cover.

The crux here is that you can only register for Medicare once you are physically in the country. You can take out insurance from any of the private medical insurance companies. Once you arrive, you need to register with Medicare, and then are free to cancel the policy.

If you have worldwide travel insurance, this may also cover you for the initial few weeks until you can register with Medicare.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

• Like 1

You are entitled to Medicare cover for essential medical treatment not everything that might go wrong with you. If the code for whatever ails you is deemed "elective" then you won't be covered and whilst you might think something is essential, the bureaucracy might disagree. 

4 hours ago, Quoll said:

You are entitled to Medicare cover for essential medical treatment not everything that might go wrong with you. If the code for whatever ails you is deemed "elective" then you won't be covered and whilst you might think something is essential, the bureaucracy might disagree. 

Thanks for the reply. The issue here is not what insurance I want to go with, but rather what is sufficient/expected for the visa application.

Also, I take it that the Australian top-up insurance that sits hand-in-hand with Medicare is probably cheaper than full health insurance coverage that I would need to purchase prior to having signed up to Medicare, right?

10 hours ago, memcc said:

Hey Frukoz,

If you are from the UK, you are entitled to Medicare cover.

The crux here is that you can only register for Medicare once you are physically in the country. You can take out insurance from any of the private medical insurance companies. Once you arrive, you need to register with Medicare, and then are free to cancel the policy.

If you have worldwide travel insurance, this may also cover you for the initial few weeks until you can register with Medicare.

Thanks memcc - a bit clearer. Although is travel insurance valid if you are technically not travelling? Once we enter Australia we are doing so with the intent to live there. Would this not void the travel insurance?

7 hours ago, Frukoz said:

Thanks for the reply. The issue here is not what insurance I want to go with, but rather what is sufficient/expected for the visa application.

Also, I take it that the Australian top-up insurance that sits hand-in-hand with Medicare is probably cheaper than full health insurance coverage that I would need to purchase prior to having signed up to Medicare, right?

You might want to put your details into one of the private health insurance search engines to see what they come up with. I believe premiums for temporary visa holders are higher than for PRs because of the potential additional costs. 

I think you can get one way insurance to cover you for the one way trip - always a wise move, you don't want to get hospitalised en route or lose your luggage.

I think it's just some weird requirement attached to the application process. Our friends came out on a 457 & had to buy it before they could submit their visa, but once their visas were granted they were able to cancel it. UK residents should be exempt from needing to provide proof that they've got it as it's irrelevant - Medicare will cover you for everything you might need, except dental of course!

Following on from my previous post...What they're looking for is an Australian private health fund cover - Bupa equivalent in the UK. Just use the comparison sites to find the cheapest one. Take out the cheapest cover & once you get your visa, cancel it.