Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'health insurance'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 20 results

  1. A couple of questions on the 482 TSS visa I’m hoping this forum can help me with.... Firstly I’m trying to find out the exact health requirements for a 482 visa. What do we need to prove when applying for this visa? I’m finding the home affairs website unclear. Secondly, do we need I pay for my child’s school in Victoria on a 482? The appropriate website hasn’t been updated since the 482 was introduced! So anyone who is living in Victoria know what happens?? TIA!
  2. Hi everyone We've just moved to Australia with my partner's work on 457 visas. His work arranged private health insurance for both of us before we came, and we've got a copy of this policy but it doesn't go in to any detail of how the process works and I haven't been able to find out. I take regular medication so at some point will need to register with a GP here and start getting more medication. The insurers are aware of all the medication and told us it would be covered. As we already have health insurance does anyone know: 1. Do we need to get Medicare cards as well? (I don't think we do but could be wrong) 2. When I go to the GP and get medication, how do the appointment fees and prescription fees work - do I pay them upfront and then claim back from the insurance provider? Or is there some other system for paying through health insurance? Do I need to take a copy of the health insurance with me to register with a GP? If anyone could enlighten me I'd be really grateful. I have tried googling for this information but just seem to get bogged down in information about Medicare.
  3. Hello, This is my very first topic and I hope to receive some info that can put my mind at ease. We are a family of 4 (2 kids) and are working on a migration plan to Adelaide, SA under the sub class via 489 which does not give similar benefits of a 189 or 190 visa category, i.e. education and health benefits. My question's and concerns are: - How expensive would schooling and health cover be? - Can I enroll my children in a public school or does it only have to be a private school? - What would the health coverage or insurance take care of, only doctors consultations and or medications? Any additional info that you feel can be of help would be appreciated. Thank you.
  4. The Pom Queen

    Australian Health Insurance Changes

    It's been called the biggest health shake-up in decades. So you might be wondering what this means for you as a consumer. Well, that depends on your circumstances, but especially your age. The Government wants to make health insurance more attractive to under-30s, because young people (who don't tend to claim as much) effectively subsidise the payouts to older people (who tend to claim more frequently). So let's see what's in it for you. Under 30, never had health insurance You're the group the Government is targeting with this overhaul. To do that, they've offered discounts if you sign up for a policy. You could save 2 per cent on your premium for every year before you turn 30, capped at a saving of 10 per cent. That means if you decided to take out a policy under these new rules, it could be a lot cheaper than it was before. Rachel David, from Private Healthcare Australia, says this is designed to help people avoid getting into financial trouble through illness or injury. "We know that right now, younger people are struggling with a lot of issues: housing affordability, the costs of education, energy and child care," she said. "One of the biggest financial challenges [young people face] is if they get admitted to hospital unexpectedly. "So we are looking at every way possible, including discounts, to get younger people into the system." The ratings system might also make it easier for you to assess what the best plan is. Health insurance products will be categorised into four levels of cover — Gold, Silver, Bronze and Basic. The Government says this will make it simpler to understand the value you're getting out of your policy. You would also be covered for mental health services even with a basic policy, which at the moment isn't that common, despite the fact that mental health treatment is top of the list when it comes to procedures claimed on private health by men and women under 30. Under 30, have health insurance If you've already got a health insurance policy, now might be a good time to shop around. You may get a better idea of what competitors are offering you with the policy categories. No waiting periods for mental health treatment means that even if your current policy doesn't include cover for mental health services, you should be able to upgrade without a fuss if you need to. It is not yet clear whether those 2 per cent discounts for under-30s would apply to all existing policies, so it would be best to check with your provider about discounts. But you could also benefit from the reduced annual premium increases. Over the past few years, premiums have been rising by 5-6 per cent each year. Next April that should only be about 3 per cent. Over 30, never had health insurance Unfortunately, it's too late for you to take advantage of those sweet, sweet discounts. But you could still take advantage of the ratings system to better assess your options. Is health insurance worth it? If you're about to hit your 30s and you haven't yet got private health insurance, the time to decide is now. The Australian Medical Association's Tony Bartone says this new ratings system is going to make what's generally a really tricky process quite easy. "You'll be able to make proper, informed decisions about the level of cover you want, the extent, and the value of the policy you're choosing," he said. Keep in mind that the longer you wait to take out private health insurance cover, the more expensive it'll be if you do decide later on down the track that you want it. You'll need to pay an extra 2 per cent for each year you didn't have hospital cover over the age of 30. It adds up. By the time you're 40, that's an additional 20 per cent. So yes, the Government really, really wants you to use private health insurance if you can afford it. Over 30, have health insurance Like everyone, you should be able to assess what your other options are a bit more easily thanks to the new ratings system. You could also see reductions for some claims. Things like pacemakers, implanted defibrillators, hips and knees implants will be cheaper under the Government's new rules. Ms David says that's been a massive sore point in the past. "Almost $1 billion has been wasted of health fund members' money on this particular issue." The Government has also promised to ensure the reduced costs of those devices will get passed on to consumers. They're doing that by strengthening the powers of the ombudsman. So, what should you do with this information? If you aren't covered at the moment, use this as a chance to assess whether private health cover would be helpful for you. Make sure you shop around before signing up. Don't forget to consider the Medicare levy surcharge when you're doing those sums. If you don't have private health cover and you're earning more than $90,000 (or $180,000 if you're in a family unit), you're paying this surcharge at tax time. It starts at 1 per cent of your income and rises to 1.5 per cent for the highest earners. So if you're single and your taxable income is $90,000, that's an extra $900 that you have to pay in tax. You don't have to pay it if you've got private cover. So it's probably worth doing the sums to see what works best for you. You can use the ATO's income tax estimator to see if you need to pay the Medicare levy surcharge (and it will also tell you how much it comes to). If you've already got cover, take a look at your current policy and find out whether it's changing. If you think you're getting a rough deal, see what else is out there.
  5. I'm still waiting for my Contrib. Parental 143 visa to come through, at least another 6 mths probably, but in the meantime I am doing more sums and trying to work out how much extra I might need to supplement Medicare. I am 70, very fit and well and rarely use a doctor. What is the point apart from ambulance cover?
  6. Hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what health insurance they got when they went on the e600 visa? My parents are currently waiting for their 173 visa to get approved but want to come over for longer than 3 months on a tourist visa so are considering the e600 visa so they can stay longer but the issue is health insurance as their home policy won't cover them if they are out of the county for longer than 6 months, any advice or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks, leana
  7. Hello there, I really can't get to grips with the health insurance requirements for 457 visa... So, I am told I need insurance coverage when applying. Well, I live in the UK so I have the NHS. When I land in Australia I can sign up to Medicare which is granted on the spot. So why do I need extra insurance? Do I need travel insurance for my journey from UK to Australia? Do I need MORE than basic medicare access once in Australia - are they saying I need additional private insurance (I was going to get that anyway)? I just don't understand what is required here. I'm covered in both countries but I'm told I need to register for insurance. Very confusing! Anyway, can someone just explain this to me because it's quite frustrating! Is there a bog standard solution to sorting this all out that is tried and tested across the forum. Much obliged! Frukoz
  8. dagefo

    Is Medicare sufficient enough?

    My wife and I will soon be heading to Perth on a 457 visa. I've understood and the jiggling with only being able to get Medicare through the reciprocal agreement once we arrive. But my question is "is medicare sufficient enough?" We are both generally healthy people, both turning 30 this year, no kids. I don't expect to require a doctor often and only in an emergency / sudden illness. So is medicare enough when compared to this kind of service through the NHS? I should point out we will be taking out additional ambulance only cover though! Don't want to get caught out with that one! Private medical insurance seems to be very expensive when on a 457 visa and if the reciprocal agreement covers pretty much all the we would need I don't see the need to shell out hundreds of dollars each month for it. Any advice would be most welcomed Thanks!! :-)
  9. Hi there, I'm a British Citizen from the UK moving to Oz to work as a doctor in August. I'm applying via the 457 visa and have all my sponsorship and nomination approved just need to complete the personal visa. It is a requirement of the 457 visa to have adequate health insurance upon application. Australia has a reciprocal health agreement with the UK in which I would be eligible to apply for a medicare number. This can only be done once in Oz. The Australian immigration website states: "If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501." My question is: Would health insurance for 1 month qualify as adequate insurance for my initial period in Oz prior to enrolling with Medicare? If not then what is a reasonable period of time? Is there any level of cover that must be met? Any recommendations or advice would be really appreciated! Thanks JK
  10. Hi there My husband and I have been living in Sydney for 4 years, since moving from the UK in 2010. We have just found out that we are pregnant which we're over the moon about but equally daunted and terrified at the same time. In August we were granted permanent residency and our plan is to go for Citizenship next year and move back to the UK towards the end of that ywar (2015). With regards to the pregnancy, just wondering for those who've been in the same boat if anyone out there can offer any advice on what steps to take first - I think a visit to the doctor, of course, then what's involved in chosing whether or not to go public or private? Any recommendations on which health care to take out? - we have to take out a new policy since we got PR husband's co. no longer fund that. Any advice on things that have worked well for you would be gratefully received. Thanks YOLO7 :smile:
  11. Hi there, Paying Medicare Levy for the financial year if not having the medical insurance during MRT bridging visa, what will be the consequences if lodging another visa application after this period? Thanks
  12. JamesPickard

    Health Insurance on 457 Visa

    We're in the process of having our 457 Visa submitted (via allocated migration officer in Aus). His advise states that we need evidence of private health insurance to process the visa but we don't actually need it in place (and want to pay for it) until we are due to arrive around August time. We also need an Australian address to purchase the insurance which we don't yet have. When and how are we supposed to put our health insurance in place for August without holding up our visa application? Any advise would be much appreciated.
  13. Hey guys, Just looking for opinions/Advice I am a British National currently on a 4 Year 457 work visa. I have numerous things I have been carrying with me for a while with regards to health issues and have not been able to get home to have them sorted out. One is possibly an operation I will eventually need on my nose, due to being unable to breath thorough it thanks to a deformed septum which requires surgery, the other is a serious stomach issue that I need a colonoscopy for to find out exactly what is wrong. I am so desperate to get these fixed as they are both currently making my life a living hell. I have the standard Reciprocal Medicare Card which says "Visitor" which I am assuming only helps me a little with Doctors fee's etc so my question is two parts. Firstly if I pay top dollar and get individual private Insurance, how much difference cost-wise would this help when I go to attempt to rectify the problems explained above? (I mean who private health care actually cover for say the colonoscopy or help with the cost of the op for my nose) and secondly, If so which Private Health Care fund comes highly recommended in your opinion? (ie, Upgrade Medicare, Bupa, Etc) Can anyone give some sound advice on what I should do? Cheers in advance, for any advice given! Ruddy
  14. Hi, i am going to be coming out to Australia on a Subclass 676 Tourist visa soon and I can be in Australia for up to 12 months (for periods of 6 months) but I can't work. Can I get a Medicare card if I'm only on a tourist visa? Thanks, Phillippa
  15. Hello me and my girlfriend are planning on travelling to Australia in October and are currently working through the working holiday visa and slightly confused with 2 of the questions: Question 11. "What type of employment do you intend to seek during your stay?" We are planning on doing so farm work and then maybe admin/bar/supermarket jobs and maybe look into jobs in the roles we have qualified in uni to gain some experience in that area (Health and Social care and MEng Electronic Engineering). What should we put for this question? Question 32. "Do you hold health insurance to cover your stay in Australia?" We have looked into health insurance but we aren't going to buy this until we get the visa granted, so which do we select? Any help would be grateful, and if there are any other travellers heading out in October would be good to hear from you
  16. I just want to say a few things about my experience with IMAN since I know a lot of people are using them. We (me and my partner) are on Basic Visitor cover for two years already. First 18 months we didn't claim at all. I've had operation in private hospital 6 months ago and it was fully paid. IMAN was quite efficient with that, apart from being a bit late with payment to hospital. Actually, once doctor's admin call them for that payment, they said it's checked as paid in their system??? but they processed that immediately after that call. However, after the operation, for almost every follow-up examination and therapy (I've had quite a few) I was getting paid only 100% of MBS, while their schedule of Benefits document says: "SECTION 1.3 OUT- PATIENT CONTINUING TREATMENT FOLLOWING HOSPITALISATION 100% Cost". Then I had to call them and waste 20-30 minutes to get the outstanding amount acknowledged and processed. Apparently, the 1.3 section is something open to discussion with their staff. I've been told various stories from their employees; 1. That it doesn't fully cover X-ray, but it fully covers doctor follow-up appointment. 2. It fully covers both. 3. It fully covers only the first follow-up appointment, and that this is their good will (that was quite funny), and each next follow-up is covered only 100% MBS. 4. It fully covers only therapies, no follow-up appointments. It all comes down to your ability to negotiate the payment with their staff, which is a bit dodgy in my opinion. During the last conversation they admitted that the section 1.3 is not defined in details and that they have a lot of confusion with customers about that. Still they're doing nothing to resolve that. So, once you get a quote make sure to query and get details about section 1.3 in writing if possible (email from them), you'll save yourself time in case you need to claim post-op later. In case of doubt I can prove all above with documents (remittance advices sent from IMAN). The good thing with IMAN, and there are a few actually; it's cheap option for 457 visa, you can arrange it from overseas and if your visa is rejected they say they will return your payment, they process claims within a week usually, which is quite quick in my opinion. Feel free to contact me if I you want me to further clarify anything.
  17. Guest

    Which Health Insurer??

    My wife and I are both recipients of kidney transplants which are working well!! We are considering coming from the UK to Melbourne within 18 months on my wife's 457 with our 2 children. As we have pre-existing conditions and may need dialysis again in the future, it is important to get the right Health Insurance. After receiving some great info on PIO I spent most of today online researching different providers and sending emails for clarification. I was looking at the cheapest but best value for a family of four. So here it is for anyone that is interested but particularly those that it is relevant o or for those that have other pre-exisiting conditions. 12 months waiting period for any pre-exisiting condition (those diagnosed within 6 months of application for the insurance) Waiting period are usually no more than 12 months Decide upon the excess you would pay before the insurance kicks in (just like car and house insurance in the UK) Ranges from $Zero, $250 and $500 - The higher the excess the lower the premium Following several trial quotes: I went on iSelect to do a comparison and they came out with Australian Unity. Australian Unity (Thanks Cal2) Overseas Visitor $ 155 per calendar month online quote. (Still waiting to see if they confirm that this covers Dialysis Edited: It does not - unlike the Life Choice Plan below) Edited: NOW CONFIRMED AT $950 PER QUARTER which is higher - the same as iSelect Edited: LIFE CHOICE ONLY AVAILABLE FOR PR Australian Unity Life Choice Plan (excluding Extras and Obstetrics cover) $195 per calendar month MediBank with a $300 excess will cover Dialysis under their Premium Cover Top 85 Plan but was around $500 per calendar month Hope this is of some us and is relevant but by no means do I claim it to be advice or totally comprehensive !! John :wink:
  18. Hi Everyone, I'm in need of a little friendly advice with regards to what to do next. I have been nominated for a 457 Visa after securing a job as an Intensive care nurse in Melbourne (Due to commence Oct 2010). My fiance is also on my visa nomination.:twitcy: The problem is I am waiting to have my IELTS test on 17th July and also awaiting registration from NBV which is pending IELTS results. I'm not sure if I have to wait for both the above mentioned before I can lodge my 457 application online? Another issue is Health insurance, as a UK resident I should be eligable for Medicare but I cannot enrol with them until I am in australia. I have been trying to arrange adequate health insurance (BUPA) but not sure how long a cover is neccesary until medicare is arranged. Bupa will also only start the cover 6 weeks prior to commencent of cover but I would need proof of cover for 457 Visa application. I feel like I am wasting valuable time waiting to have my IELTS test and wondered if there is anything I could be doing in the meantime? ie medicals etc I have spent a lot of time looking on the forum site for advice but my head is starting to spin with all the information to take in. Any help would be greatly appreciated Joanne
  19. Hi, I am currently on a working holiday visa and the company i am working for want to sponsor me under Visa 457 (occupation-project administrator) I do not have any qualifications only experience. My company have put in the nomination but i dont know where to start...any information on what i need to send with my application would be very much appreciated. ALSO any info on Where to het health insurance? Thanks For all your help!!!
  20. Waiting on 457 visa to come through for a job ive landed in Melbourne CBD. My missus is coming with me as well. I have some questions: 1. Need to get private health insurance - Whats the norm? Im after a cheap deal as I didnt realise I would have to pay for this until after I signed my contract.:wacko: 2. 20 days holiday - this seems a little low, or is this Ozzy standard. In UK im on 24. 3. "9% Superannuation contribution to the Company Scheme" - I think this is Ozzy law? Can I reclaim this easily once I return to UK? Some advice would be really appreciated. :v_SPIN: <EDIT> Im getting a little worried about the costs of private health insurance for a couple. For example, Medibank gave me the following quote which is £175 a month = this is too high compared to the salary im on, but I have already signed the contract... I thought I saw cheaper quotes, but I think thats because it assumed I was an Australian citizen. I need PHI and I want it as cheap as possible - PLEASE HELP!