Reactions from UK family?

Nunu10

On 6 August 2017 at 06:47, KTM1963 said:

Hi all, I couldn't agree more with the many and varied reasons for returning to the UK.  I have lived in Australia 28 years, more than half my life, came as a back packer in 1989 and returned to the UK in March 2017.  I have just turned 54, got a contract job immediately and start a full time job on Monday.  Life is far too short to keep wondering if you should do it or not.  I intend using my return flight in February 2018 to basically sell up my unit in Melbourne.  Can buy a lovely little house here (Worcester), be cashed up and will be working for 3 years full time and can afford to then work 2/3 days a week.  Never married, no kids but feel like many of you in that I love and appreciate Australia, and always wil,l but I want to be close to Europe, life long friends and my ever diminishing family. I am 21 on the inside and I think if you have a happy, optimistic outlook on life and are willing and able, age really is no barrier.  Good luck!

Omg.. This is so me! Living in Melb but never really liked it, certainly dont love it! 1 daughter born here now 19. Would love to go home to Wirral. But after reading some of these posts maybe should even consider other areas. We would be financially ok once house sold, only snag daughter says no way. I miss those life long friends sooo much but seeing them all in 3 weeks. Will take daughter around UK see what she thinks. Also been here since 1988 came for 1 year lol.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Scousers1 said:

Omg.. This is so me! Living in Melb but never really liked it, certainly dont love it! 1 daughter born here now 19. Would love to go home to Wirral. But after reading some of these posts maybe should even consider other areas. We would be financially ok once house sold, only snag daughter says no way. I miss those life long friends sooo much but seeing them all in 3 weeks. Will take daughter around UK see what she thinks. Also been here since 1988 came for 1 year lol.

Your daughter may really enjoy being in the UK and may change her mind about not moving over there.  

Have a fabulous holiday!  :)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Parley said:

It is asking a lot to uproot a girl who is a born and bred Australian and lived here her whole life because you are miserable.

I would keep your expectation low if I were you so you aren't disappointed.

She has always said she would not go because she has seen what it has done to me. Im not expecting her to change her mind to be honest but at least she is wanting to go for a holiday. 

Not sure where this leaves our future though as i am sure i cannot be here too much longer. My parents are here and elderly but once they are no longer around i have no wish to be here. I have stopped functioning a few years ago, dont really see many people anymore, dont look after the house as i once did. Only work a couple of days to cover the bills. 

Try to catch up with people but just cannot be bothered anymore. But looking forward to going home in 3 weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 00:33, Martinbjulieb said:

Fantastic!! It will fly by. Any questions about the move you can PM me if you like!

Where are you moving to?

Thank you! I just posted a new topic about shipping insurance, and I see you'd done a few on that earlier! So I might be PMing you soon :)

We are moving to Devon (where I grew up) to be nearer to family, but hoping to carve out our own little niche somewhere - ie. not right on my parent's doorstep :) 

13 hours ago, Nunu10 said:

Thank you! I just posted a new topic about shipping insurance, and I see you'd done a few on that earlier! So I might be PMing you soon :)

We are moving to Devon (where I grew up) to be nearer to family, but hoping to carve out our own little niche somewhere - ie. not right on my parent's doorstep :) 

Devon ....good choice ...choose well

• 10 months later...
On 30/09/2017 at 12:36, Scousers1 said:

She has always said she would not go because she has seen what it has done to me. Im not expecting her to change her mind to be honest but at least she is wanting to go for a holiday. 

Not sure where this leaves our future though as i am sure i cannot be here too much longer. My parents are here and elderly but once they are no longer around i have no wish to be here. I have stopped functioning a few years ago, dont really see many people anymore, dont look after the house as i once did. Only work a couple of days to cover the bills. 

Try to catch up with people but just cannot be bothered anymore. But looking forward to going home in 3 weeks.

Hi Scousers1,

Your posts sound so familiar, after just returning to Brisbane from Perth for a short 10 day visit. I've still not settled after 4 yrs and part of the reason for the Perth trip was to catch up with pommie friends and try and answer some of my nagging doubts. One of them has the same dilemma as you, with their eldest child having settled with his own place, an aussie partner and possibly looking at starting a family in the next few years. Until recently she was keen to head back to Wigan/Warrington area and hubby applied (internally) and took up an job in Ellesmere Port last year. So now the family are split and indecision and doubt are coming into the equation due to the eldest child having his life mapped out in Perth! Their reasons to want to head back were the same as so many others who have contributed to this post and are mine too, except my aussie partner has no wishes to return to the UK. I'm interested to hear how your trip back to the Wirral went and and update from your post in Sept 2017.

Best Wishes

Simon.