Tax back cancelled?????

woody2709

Hey everyone, just been notified my tax back has been canceled due to WHV rules! I applied for an early assessment return as I'm doing my 189 visa now. Dont have any detailed info regarding it yet.

WHV ended 30/12/2016, so was only claiming for july to december.

Worked for 1 company but finished employment on the 23/12/17 so under the 6 month barrier

Claiming with taxback.com

Anyone any ideas what else it could be?

Edited by woody2709

1 minute ago, VERYSTORMY said:

What makes you think you are entitled to tax back? On a whv you are required to pay tax. 

I was able to claim tax back when I was on my WHV, provided I wasn't working again afterwards. People tended to do it towards the end of their year. Got quite a lot back which I used most of for my flight home 

2 hours ago, woody2709 said:

Hey everyone, just been notified my tax back has been canceled due to WHV rules! I applied for an early assessment return as I'm doing my 189 visa now. Dont have any detailed info regarding it yet.

WHV ended 30/12/2016, so was only claiming for july to december.

Worked for 1 company but finished employment on the 23/12/17 so under the 6 month barrier

Claiming with taxback.com

Anyone any ideas what else it could be?

Try claiming yourself direct through the ATO? If you are claiming now just do an ordinary tax return. Its after the 1st July now so ts not an early claim, the tax year has ended. 

Edited by Nemesis

1 hour ago, maidensarah said:

I was able to claim tax back when I was on my WHV, provided I wasn't working again afterwards. People tended to do it towards the end of their year. Got quite a lot back which I used most of for my flight home 

It isn't as simple as that. It depends on lots of factors such as amount earned in the tax year and if over threshold. 

I would recomend the OP speak to a decent accountant to try and resolve - accountants fees are, subject to some limits, claimable as a tax deduction the following year. But their is nothing that says being on a whv equals tax back. Far from it, in the last couple of years the rules have changed to penalise whv holders with tax 

i would still speak to an accountant. Most decent ones will be able to give you a precise figure of any refund due on the spot. But, as I say, there is no automatic right to a refund just because you were on a whv. Far from it. You will only get a refund the same as anyone else if they have over paid. 

Ok - so there is no automatic right to tax back.  Firstly you need to have paid tax, secondly you need to have overpaid tax to be entitled to a refund.  Taxback.com are a tax agent so should be able to explain it to you.  If they can't don't pay them.

On a WHV you are non-resident for tax purposes so will be taxed at a higher rate (special backpacker rate of 15% for the first 37,000, think it will be 32.5% after that).  If you only worked 6 months of the year and your employer was deducting tax correctly, you should be due something back as you will have been overtaxed (provided you lived in Australia and did not work the rest of the year).

On your new visa, you will taxed as a resident (lower rate tax tables).

Give the ato a shout (or browse their website), they can be very helpful.  They have a live chat feature

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Residency---working-holiday-or-visit/

You will need to know -

When did you enter the country on your 417 visa.  You worked on that for 6 months (until when) and earned 50k.  How much tax was deducted?

What did you do from the end of that job to 30/06/2017?  Were you in Australia?

When did you apply for your new visa?  Have you worked on that?

Hope this helps (I'm an accountant btw)

7 hours ago, Collie said:

Ok - so there is no automatic right to tax back.  Firstly you need to have paid tax, secondly you need to have overpaid tax to be entitled to a refund.  Taxback.com are a tax agent so should be able to explain it to you.  If they can't don't pay them.

On a WHV you are non-resident for tax purposes so will be taxed at a higher rate (special backpacker rate of 15% for the first 37,000, think it will be 32.5% after that).  If you only worked 6 months of the year and your employer was deducting tax correctly, you should be due something back as you will have been overtaxed (provided you lived in Australia and did not work the rest of the year).

On your new visa, you will taxed as a resident (lower rate tax tables).

Give the ato a shout (or browse their website), they can be very helpful.  They have a live chat feature

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Ind/Residency---working-holiday-or-visit/

You will need to know -

When did you enter the country on your 417 visa.  You worked on that for 6 months (until when) and earned 50k.  How much tax was deducted?

What did you do from the end of that job to 30/06/2017?  Were you in Australia?

When did you apply for your new visa?  Have you worked on that?

Hope this helps (I'm an accountant

Thanks for the information. I entered the country dec 2014, my previous tax returns in aus were all successful. My 2016-15 return i earned almost double and still got a decent return. 2017-16 return i only worked July-dec because my visa expired so i traveled back to the Uk. I applied for my early return in april. New 189 visa has not yet been submitted, EOI was sent in yesterday. I will wait to see what taxback.com say about the matter. Sorry i ever used them, had so much more success using local agents in aus but using a internet based for the first time is nothing but hassle

7 hours ago, Collie said:

1 hour ago, woody2709 said:

Thanks for the information. I entered the country dec 2014, my previous tax returns in aus were all successful. My 2016-15 return i earned almost double and still got a decent return. 2017-16 return i only worked July-dec because my visa expired so i traveled back to the Uk. I applied for my early return in april. New 189 visa has not yet been submitted, EOI was sent in yesterday. I will wait to see what taxback.com say about the matter. Sorry i ever used them, had so much more success using local agents in aus but using a internet based for the first time is nothing but hassle

Getting a refund does not mean the tax return was 'successful'. Not everyone gets a refund. Some get a bill - their tax return is still 'successful' though. A successful tax return is just one that is accepted by the ATO.

58 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Getting a refund does not mean the tax return was 'successful'. Not everyone gets a refund. Some get a bill - their tax return is still 'successful' though. A successful tax return is just one that is accepted by the ATO.

The main concern was not getting the money but whatever the reason does not affect my 189 application

Ok so the agent is not necessarily the issue.

It depends on the numbers involved.  Happy for you to pm me if you want.  Filing early may have been a mistake as they may pro-rata it.

Your tax return will no impact on a future visa