The 186 visa

maidensarah

1 hour ago, maidensarah said:

Are there any occupation lists for this 

Yes, currently you need an occupation on Combined list of eligible skilled occupations.

1 hour ago, maidensarah said:

can any company sponsor for this visa?

No, companies must meet the relevant requirements to nominate under this program.

yes, you can apply from the UK if you and the company are eligible. However, it is rare for companies to offer to sponsor a 186 to someone not already working for them due to the legnth of time it takes to process and you would need to obtain a skills assessment, which takes time.

44 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

yes, you can apply from the UK if you and the company are eligible. However, it is rare for companies to offer to sponsor a 186 to someone not already working for them due to the legnth of time it takes to process and you would need to obtain a skills assessment, which takes time.

So basically, my husband already works for the company and has done for nearly 6 years. They're just setting up in Australia (they're a huge company) and it's possible he could go and work over there as they will need someone experienced in that role to set up etc but his occupation, Senior Finance Manager,  is only on the new temporary 2 year visa list for the 457 and I wouldn't go out there if if there was no option to become permanent if we wanted to, and I would hate to have to leave if we loved it and we have 2 young children aged 6 & 4 so don't want to mess them about.  I wondered if they nominated him for the 186 whether that is a possible option to still become permanent even if his occupation is on the short-term list for the 457.

Hoping this makes sense!

39 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

in theory, yes, but you would need to judge the likely hood of it given it can take many months to het a 186.

Also, if it is new to Australia there may be difficulty in getting company approved to sponsor

Okay thanks. Will see what happens! 

He could possibly apply for both the temporary (457) and permanent (186 Direct Entry) visas at the same time.  The 457 is generally granted much quicker and would allow him to arrive and start working.  Then when the 186 is granted, it would immediately overwrite/replace the 457.  But I'd suggest he and his employer speak with a registered migration agent for assistance since the company would be new to this process.

6 hours ago, MaggieMay24 said:

He could possibly apply for both the temporary (457) and permanent (186 Direct Entry) visas at the same time.  The 457 is generally granted much quicker and would allow him to arrive and start working.  Then when the 186 is granted, it would immediately overwrite/replace the 457.  But I'd suggest he and his employer speak with a registered migration agent for assistance since the company would be new to this process.

Okay thanks, so it would still be possible to start with a 457 then transfer to a 186. I was just wondering if that was possible as it reads a bit like if your occupation is on the short term list then there would be no chance of becoming permanent. 

The company will be experienced in doing internal transfers for positions all around the world and so getting visas etc should be something they're used to but yes the Australian part is the new bit so speaking to a migrations agent sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for your help 

From the conversations I’ve had with immi and potential employers, seems that in theory there is no problem with entering on a 457 with either 186 application running at the same time, or applying for one once you’ve arrived.

Only thing I would say is that under the new rules, if your occupation is only on the short term list you need to have applied for the 186 by March 2018.

Good luck!

Archived